Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I recently started changing my own oil in my 2012 Armada. I use semi synthetic Valvoline high mileage with maxlife. I was wondering what the recommended frequency to change the oil in this would be? My car currently just turned 100k miles. Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
5,025 Posts
there is a maintenance schedule in the manuals. that said i use ester oil in my qx and i replace every 3K.
there's lots of discussion on this forum on what many members follow so a bit of searching may yield fruit.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I set my reminder for 5,000 miles and usually change it before 6,000 with Mobil 1 full synthetic. I am at 175K on my 06. I had the valve covers off this summer and it was nice to see I have absolutely no gunk or sludge on the top end.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok great!! Thanks for the info!! I’m using the semi synthetic valvoline. Would you guys recommend doing it every 3000 miles? Would it be worth switching to the mobile 1 full synthetic?

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
I only run synthetics and my pickup a frontier is 21 years old 250k miles and still running strong, it has only ever had amsoil or mobil1 in it. as to how often or if that is good I would have some of the old oil sent to a lab and tested to see how things look at 3000 if you want to keep that brand going and evaluate from there. I would be surprised if even conventional oil only lasted 3k miles. anymore most manufacturers advise oil changes more often than necessary as a nod to their dealers so people get more work done while there. test kits can be had off amazon for ~$30 or multiple vendors offer the service pretty cheaply.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
You will get every recommendation imaginable, and possibly start some feuds, asking about oil change interval and conventional vs. synthetic. Might as well ask how 9mm compares to 45.

I prefer full synthetic because I think it has many advantages over conventional. Oil changes are relatively cheap for how important they are so I don't skimp out. Get a good filter too and change it no less than the book tells you too - longer than that is up to you.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
there is a maintenance schedule in the manuals. that said i use ester oil in my qx and i replace every 3K.
there's lots of discussion on this forum on what many members follow so a bit of searching may yield fruit.
That's the maximum even high end oils will last.
I'm using Redline 5W30 and full synthetic Amsoil with the same grade.
After 5k km (3100 miles) they are fully done according to the oil analyse in the laboratory I have made- the viscosity, neutralisation valve and alkalinity changed dramaticly...

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
After 5k km (3100 miles) they are fully done according to the oil analyse in the laboratory I have made- the viscosity, neutralisation valve and alkalinity changed dramaticly...
This is the opposite of what I've seen with my own oils being sent to the laboratory and other forum members have seen the same. I tend to go somewhere between 5K-10K depending on my mood with all my vehicles (2002 Maxima, 2008 Armada, 2011 Ford Fusion Sport). Every time I've sent off my oil, they said it is fine for my mileage and I could go further on my oil without a problem.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I have sent three samples of my used Armada engine oil off to the lab.
Always semi synthetic.
They always say essentially the same thing: "Everything looks great, you are changing your oil too soon"

165,000 miles on my 2008 - I have settled on 7,500 miles oil change interval (give or take 500 miles ).
---
I highly recommend the original Nissan oil filters. They seem to do well with longer oil change intervals. With some of the aftermarket ones, the element inside can collapse or plug up prematurely. When that happens it activates a clever bypass mechanism in the oil cooler that makes a whine you can hear. It almost sounds like a bad pulley or bad belt. It is no big deal, you just change the oil filter and it is fixed.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
2005 with 230,xxx miles. I set my reminder at 4750 miles, and then change it the next free weekend day I have. Sometimes its a week or two after that.

Here are things that are true*:

1.) Filter quality is more important than oil brand/type.
2.) Follow your heart and use the manual as a guide.
3.) The USA is huge and environmental variables, geographical differences, engine condition, and driving times/styles will create vastly different oil change requirements.
4.) .40 S&W is superior to everything before and after it, because it was the chambering of choice for the best handgun design since time began, the H&K USP.
5) The internet is the best place to get facts.
6.) There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

*only one of these is true

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
2005 with 230,xxx miles. I set my reminder at 4750 miles, and then change it the next free weekend day I have. Sometimes its a week or two after that.

Here are things that are true*:

1.) Filter quality is more important than oil brand/type.
2.) Follow your heart and use the manual as a guide.
3.) The USA is huge and environmental variables, geographical differences, engine condition, and driving times/styles will create vastly different oil change requirements.
4.) .40 S&W is superior to everything before and after it, because it was the chambering of choice for the best handgun design since time began, the H&K USP.
5) The internet is the best place to get facts.
6.) There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

*only one of these is true
+

for #3 very true. at 15k miles mine is good but I do not accelerate very hard ever and generally just drive like a relaxed old man on a sunday drive in no hurry. Also I don't tow and live in a warmer climate where I never see snow for more than a few days a year when I go to it. I will take ti off road but "off road" means mild trails going to campgrounds where while you may not see any sedans... any crossover on the market can make it to, usually mostly subarus there with me.

for #4 i guess i done screwed up, my HK USP Tactical is in 45 ACP .. but i wanted something to put through a suppressor so i think it was still a good choice. also i reload and reloading supplies are dirt cheap.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
+

for #3 very true. at 15k miles mine is good but I do not accelerate very hard ever and generally just drive like a relaxed old man on a sunday drive in no hurry. Also I don't tow and live in a warmer climate where I never see snow for more than a few days a year when I go to it. I will take ti off road but "off road" means mild trails going to campgrounds where while you may not see any sedans... any crossover on the market can make it to, usually mostly subarus there with me.

for #4 i guess i done screwed up, my HK USP Tactical is in 45 ACP .. but i wanted something to put through a suppressor so i think it was still a good choice. also i reload and reloading supplies are dirt cheap.
My USP is also in .45 AARP, which I love. I'd certainly get a USP40 to do the 10mm conversion to.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Looks like I turned CA into Glocktalk. My USP is a Gen 1 PPQ in 9. I wouldn't mind a VP9 but I'll never get rid of the PPQ.

Also had Blackstone done at 5000 with Mobil 1 and they said it was good to go to 7000. (TBN=3.8) I have a summer car so I usually drive about 10k per year anyway and that makes 5000 seems best for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts