Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here using Optima on their Armada? i have and extra one and tried installing it but realize that the positive cable won't work because the optima's positive lead is almost at the middle and the mada's cable has an L shape kinda form. thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
brysig228 said:
Anyone here using Optima on their Armada? i have and extra one and tried installing it but realize that the positive cable won't work because the optima's positive lead is almost at the middle and the mada's cable has an L shape kinda form. thanks for any input.
I hope you're staying away from the Red-Top optima batteries. Those are complete garbage. If you have to go with dry cell battery go for the deep cycle yellow top optima. The cheap ass POS red tops that you can pick up at any costco suck balls and can't hold a charge worth a damn. Let your car sit for a couple weeks and it's already toast. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
I don't know about red top being bad. I do however like the yellow top. Its a deep cycle which means it sacrifices some cold cranking amps but picks up the ability to hold a charge longer under load.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PumaFiveOh said:
I hope you're staying away from the Red-Top optima batteries. Those are complete garbage. If you have to go with dry cell battery go for the deep cycle yellow top optima. The cheap ass POS red tops that you can pick up at any costco suck balls and can't hold a charge worth a damn. Let your car sit for a couple weeks and it's already toast. Good Luck!
don't know bout that, i have a red cell for 5 long years and never had a problem till i traded it to my armada and i have one on my altima and i had it for 3 yrs.. not to mention i live in AZ which normally battery life here only last about 2 to 3 yrs. so i've been lucky with them so far.

thanks TB for the link but i think i'll hold off for a while before i put that battery on cuz i kinda don't like that look.. looks a little messy to me..

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Not too messy. Notice, he added power distribution blocks to the top of the battery to power his stereo. Most of that stuff isn't needed to install the battery. Looks like you just need to put it in backwards pretty much. I'd have to look myself but it shouldn't be much trouble. Course I used to install stereos for a living too. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Sorry I have to resurrect this thread, my battery went dead on me today, and I know why, my wife and my kids were waiting for me in the Armada while I was seeing my doctor, the radio was on for over an hour without having the engine on, I thought it will be alright, NOT. does anyone knows the model number of the Optima yellow top battery? How much $$$? and from where?:)

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ggeorgie said:
Sorry I have to resurrect this thread, my battery went dead on me today, and I know why, my wife and my kids were waiting for me in the Armada while I was seeing my doctor, the radio was on for over an hour without having the engine on, I thought it will be alright, NOT. does anyone knows the model number of the Optima yellow top battery? How much $$$? and from where?:)
here in Phoenix i know a place that sells Yellow top for $159. so that's really cheap for that battery i think because a red top is more than $160 last time i was looking for one.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ggeorgie said:
Now am confused, coming to find out that there is a blue top battery too, I read that the yellow is better than red top, but what about the blue?
i think it's the yellow then the red, then the blue. yellow=best, red=better than blue and blue=ok and i think the blue is for a smaller engine.. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
brysig228 said:
i think it's the yellow then the red, then the blue. yellow=best, red=better than blue and blue=ok and i think the blue is for a smaller engine.. someone correct me if i'm wrong.
If you go into an Autozone they should have a display of Optima batteries along with the description of each. There is only one yellow, one red and one blue battery so they should fit any vehicle.

Autozone stands behind their products 100%. I know this because I use to manage an Autozone, however they treat their employees like crap so I no longer work there but I still shop there.

We never had a problem with any of the colors, they are all great. Price will be your deciding factor.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
ggeorgie said:
Georgie I know this doesn't "directly" answer your question about the yellow top, but I just looked at my battery and I have the Optima Red Top R34-980 in it. I debated about whether to go yellow or red top and for me I wanted the more Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) that the red top provided (I rarely play the radio without The Mothership being all the way on) . I can't remember what the CCA is for the yellow but I do recall the the red tops rating was higher. The red R34 is rated at 800 CCA.

I purchased my battery at Advance Auto for 165 bucks and I believe the yellow tops were 189 bucks. Like I said earlier I don't know the specific yellow top model number but if you decide to go red make sure you get R34 (I'll repeat, R34)....the straight 34 will not work due to it posts being in the "normal" position and not in reverse which is needed for the Armada

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
dboogie said:
Georgie I know this doesn't "directly" answer your question about the yellow top, but I just looked at my battery and I have the Optima Red Top R34-980 in it. I debated about whether to go yellow or red top and for me I wanted the more Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) that the red top provided (I rarely play the radio without The Mothership being all the way on) . I can't remember what the CCA is for the yellow but I do recall the the red tops rating was higher. The red R34 is rated at 800 CCA.

I purchased my battery at Advance Auto for 165 bucks and I believe the yellow tops were 189 bucks. Like I said earlier I don't know the specific yellow top model number but if you decide to go red make sure you get R34 (I'll repeat, R34)....the straight 34 will not work due to it posts being in the "normal" position and not in reverse which is needed for the Armada
Could it be that the Yellow has higher CCA, am here in southern Cali, I doubt that I need anything for cold weather, but you can never know if I move to a colder area., BTW, thanks for the info. I think many can find it usefull.:cool:

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I bought a red top at autozone a few years ago for $119 - I believe that was with turning my old batt in. If you make 10,000 batteries one is bound to be bad. Red top has been in my Dodge Ram for more than 3 years, and sits for long periods of time (It's my large off-road toy). I know it's sat for over 3 months, started on the first try with no sign of low voltage. When the stock batt gives the slightest hint of trouble, an optima will be going in. Prolly a yellow top.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
ggeorgie said:
Could it be that the Yellow has higher CCA, am here in southern Cali, I doubt that I need anything for cold weather, but you can never know if I move to a colder area., BTW, thanks for the info. I think many can find it usefull.:cool:
I'm almost 100% positive that the CCA rating for the red was higher than the yellow. When trying to determine which way to go, I recall debating with myself whether I needed the deep cycle ability that the yellow provided OR the higher CCA rating that the red provided. For me, the CCA rating was more important.

Yeah, even if you don't personally need the info I provided hopefully someone else can. This site has often provided me with helpful info........I'm just trying to give back:)

Oh yeah, Optima's Blue Top batteries are for Marine applications but if memory serves me correctly I think I have read somewhere that a few folks have used them in their automobiles without any issues. As to where the blue falls in the "good, better, best" category when compared to the red and yellow I really don't know. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Ok guys, it was my fault, I took it to the dealer today for the 30k service, and spoke to the Technician, he told me if you have the lights on auto, it will drain your battery regardless if it was on ACC or not, and I do remember the Auto light switch is always on. I gotta becarefull next time, and turn the auto light off.:eek:

BTW, they are charging me $289.00 for the 30K service, and they will include the 2 degree advance, and attach the slip to it as a proof that they did it, once I get it I'll scan it and posted for you guys to see. Also, they are ordering both tail gate chokes, since they don't open the tailgate all the way, need more power.:cool:

PS- they gave a POS loaner, since its not gonna be ready untill tomorrow

·
Administrator
6,679 Posts
yellow tops come in different CCAs/ i think typically yellow tops will give more CCAs than red. i have a red that was in my 1999 eclipse when i got the eclipse in.. well you guess it.. 1999. i traded it in and put the bayttery in my wifes armada and there it sits now.. works just fine for smaller engine cars...

ive got a yellow top in my jetta now and its awesome. have been using optimas since i got my first REAL car back in 1991...

the blue top is for marine use and should not be considered.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.