Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm considering an Armada purchase. I just joined this forum to learn a bit more about the Armada. My first post and introduction is here.

The Armada looks like an amazing vehicle, and while it's not the least expensive option out there, it's clearly a value leader with creature comforts in mind.

So, I have a ton of questions, but many are already answered on the forum. My big question is in regards to options (e.g. Nav, DVD, colors, etc.).

Are there any specific features that you wish you had or had not opted for? Or, are there any features that you got that you're really impressed with that you would call a *must have*?

Your response will help me in my search for the perfect vehicle.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Cheers,
-Alan
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,362 Posts
Bench vs. captains chairs for second row. I'm glad I got the bench. I still have plenty of room for stuff in the other storage consoles but the extra seat and easy fold down for carrying stuff comes in handy almost weekly.

Front brush guard is junky as are all of these things because they don't protect in a collision and more often than not cause additional damage you wouldn't have when the guard bends back into the hood or lights.

NAV. I love mine. Works great. But you can do very well aftermarket. Same with the DVD.

The BOSE sucks, but then again, its fine for most people.

Leather is key. Cloth is easily stained, ripped, etc.

Glad I got 4x4. I've used it many times and it really has gotten me out of jams. Most recently, I powered out of a parking spot that was completely snow covered, and had 12" frozen snow banks surrounding it on all exits. Would have been still there if I had 2wd.

Fog lights are very good.

I don't use the sunroof but its good for me as I like the extra light.

Power tailgate rocks as does the back up camera and radar.

Hope this gives you some ideas. I am glad I got the LE 4x4. I think the LE gives you a good bang for the buck with regards to usable options for the price. The only change I would have done now is gotten the NAV and DVD aftermarket, but again, I installed this stuff for a living. It is nice to have it all integrated into the system and under one warranty. :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
109 Posts
92TripleBlack said:
Bench vs. captains chairs for second row. I'm glad I got the bench. I still have plenty of room for stuff in the other storage consoles but the extra seat and easy fold down for carrying stuff comes in handy almost weekly.

Front brush guard is junky as are all of these things because they don't protect in a collision and more often than not cause additional damage you wouldn't have when the guard bends back into the hood or lights.

NAV. I love mine. Works great. But you can do very well aftermarket. Same with the DVD.

The BOSE sucks, but then again, its fine for most people.

Leather is key. Cloth is easily stained, ripped, etc.

Glad I got 4x4. I've used it many times and it really has gotten me out of jams. Most recently, I powered out of a parking spot that was completely snow covered, and had 12" frozen snow banks surrounding it on all exits. Would have been still there if I had 2wd.

Fog lights are very good.

I don't use the sunroof but its good for me as I like the extra light.

Power tailgate rocks as does the back up camera and radar.

Hope this gives you some ideas. I am glad I got the LE 4x4. I think the LE gives you a good bang for the buck with regards to usable options for the price. The only change I would have done now is gotten the NAV and DVD aftermarket, but again, I installed this stuff for a living. It is nice to have it all integrated into the system and under one warranty. :D
I echo the comments. I personally love the sunroof, when I can use it (which in Chicago is not very often).

One thing that came with my truck that I would have never in a million years put on, was a bug deflector. And wouldn't you know...it actually works!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,362 Posts
shirleyujest said:
I echo the comments. I personally love the sunroof, when I can use it (which in Chicago is not very often).

One thing that came with my truck that I would have never in a million years put on, was a bug deflector. And wouldn't you know...it actually works!
Yes, I want one. But I'm going to get a stainless steel lund version. ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
547 Posts
Got to second or third the comments from the previous two. No Nav in my truck was a big mistake. Sunroof package is a good deal and don't even think about not getting big tow. Better yet I think its well worth the cash to start off with an LE model.

4WD is definately a pricey option to ponder. You just have to ask yourself what kind of situations you may need it for and lay down the extra chedda based on that. Personally I have no use for it but many on this site use it all the time...just depends.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Triple!

Thanks for the comments - very helpful!

I prefer the bench seat as well. The Suburban that we had growing up had a bench seat for the front seat as well.

I'll be taking your advice and going to for a test drive soon.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
casinojames said:
Got to second or third the comments from the previous two. No Nav in my truck was a big mistake. Sunroof package is a good deal and don't even think about not getting big tow. Better yet I think its well worth the cash to start off with an LE model.

4WD is definately a pricey option to ponder. You just have to ask yourself what kind of situations you may need it for and lay down the extra chedda based on that. Personally I have no use for it but many on this site use it all the time...just depends.
The 4x4 option is something that I'd likely buy. I live in SoCal, but do enjoy travelling to the snow. Hitting the 4x button is a lot nicer than putting on chains. That said, I'd likely only use it 0.01% of the time, so it's not a critical feature.

My only concern is fuel encomy. Since the Armada gets fairly poor ratings already, I'd be worried that I'd drop 2+ MPG more with a 4x4.

-Alan
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
109 Posts
atm said:
The 4x4 option is something that I'd likely buy. I live in SoCal, but do enjoy travelling to the snow. Hitting the 4x button is a lot nicer than putting on chains. That said, I'd likely only use it 0.01% of the time, so it's not a critical feature.

My only concern is fuel encomy. Since the Armada gets fairly poor ratings already, I'd be worried that I'd drop 2+ MPG more with a 4x4.

-Alan
I've been doing my own "experiment" as to gas mileage between 2wd and 4wd. It seems that you are indeed talking about 2-3 mpg difference between the two.

However, I have also noticed that in wet conditions, the VDC will kick in sooner with the two wheel drive then four. My experience is that the throttle drops way down, and therefore acceleration is abruptly cut-off. This can be a pain, especially since the harder acceleration is what caused the VDC to activate in the first place.

But then again....does in rain in SoCal? :rolleyes:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
46 Posts
I wish they would add power folding mirrors. I had an '04 Navigator Ultimate package with these and it was a nice feature. I don't regret trading my Navigator for the Armada as it was no where near as fun to drive/responsive. On top of being slower, I was getting about 11 mpg, which was a joke. I also was constantly worried about getting it dirty. The Armada is a much better truck.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
895 Posts
For our use the base 4x4 LE is perfect. We use a portable NAV and a laptop for our DVD playing so we can use it in our other vehicles and camper. I might have gotten the OEM NAV but I would have had to take a sunroof which I refuse to. Sunroofs are generally neat until the 7 or 8 year mark and then the trouble starts. A solid roof has no moving parts and no where to leak or squeak. I like the leather, it seems more robust than the cloth, wife likes the heated seats, the seat/mirror memory stuff is great and the tow package is a steal, my kids like the 2nd row captains, all of the above are standard on the base LE. The best part is the engine/trans which you will get no matter what you buy.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
359 Posts
atm said:
The 4x4 option is something that I'd likely buy. I live in SoCal, but do enjoy travelling to the snow. Hitting the 4x button is a lot nicer than putting on chains. That said, I'd likely only use it 0.01% of the time, so it's not a critical feature.

My only concern is fuel encomy. Since the Armada gets fairly poor ratings already, I'd be worried that I'd drop 2+ MPG more with a 4x4.

-Alan
Not to go here again, but I will anyhow. I get 13mpg with a 4x4 driving in 2wd city. 4x4 is a must in the NW for us, skiing, boat ramps (paved, slimey and dirt/gravel all included) pulling into traffic on wet streets (switch into Auto) etc.
Features I really like:leather, heated seats, power liftgate, backup beepers (don't have camera), engine/drivetrain, drives nice for a honkin big SUV. Ez to park (relative).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
The power liftgate is great! It's right up there with the TV remote control.
Also, after getting 12 rick chips on the front of my hood in 9 months, I finally got a bug shield on the hood. I got the Chrome one at first, it looked bad to me. Big ole Chrome bug shield on the Galaxy Black was overwhelming. Took it off and got a Smoke bug shield. Love it becuase you don't really see it. I definetely woldn't get one for the looks. It works great. No more rock chips, a lot less bug splats on the windshield too. Great invention.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,362 Posts
atm said:
My only concern is fuel encomy. Since the Armada gets fairly poor ratings already, I'd be worried that I'd drop 2+ MPG more with a 4x4.

-Alan
A 2 mpg difference = about $20 a month. You won't notice. ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
95 Posts
I agree with Triple on the difference. I think if you have ever owned a 4X4 you find yourself using in situations you would have never thought of without it. I need here in the Maryland area constantly, but it the same vain, I had Toureg when I was living in the valley, and when the 101 got wet, the 4X4 helped out keeping the truck tracking straight. Just my 2 cents :D

Either way, you'll love it. I would say if you expect to carry large cargo, the captains chairs are not the best things to have, but that's my opinion.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,362 Posts
Biggy Gib said:
I wish they would add power folding mirrors. I had an '04 Navigator Ultimate package with these and it was a nice feature. I don't regret trading my Navigator for the Armada as it was no where near as fun to drive/responsive. On top of being slower, I was getting about 11 mpg, which was a joke. I also was constantly worried about getting it dirty. The Armada is a much better truck.
They have those on '06 and also have added the turn signal to the mirrors. :rolleyes:
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top