Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I went ahead and dropped the $50 on the Active Tuning ground kit for my Armada. From reading over at clubtitan M4ck was saying that he was seeing better starts and that the truck felt "crisper". I've got a bunch of aftermarket stereo stuff installed, so I figured it would be a good thing to beef up the electrical system a bit.

I'll let y'all know if it makes any noticeable difference.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sucks- I missed the group buy by like 2 days.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Give me the real deal about if these are snake oil or really work. I've heard both. ;)

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I tested the grounding kit from Active Tuning in my FX 45. I can say it is worth it. I will get one for the Armada as soon as Dave hooks me up. :D The overall behavior of the FX was improved, not nec. more power but the electrics seem to work better. Firmer shifts, better throttle response and so forth.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Since Dave is on this forum, I would like an explanation of why their oversized chassis grounds make a difference.

I would agree that they look cool, but after that I have some serious doubts, why would a very large gauge ground cable make a significant performance improvement compared to the factory electrical system?

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
BRE Armada said:
Since Dave is on this forum, I would like an explanation of why their oversized chassis grounds make a difference.

I would agree that they look cool, but after that I have some serious doubts, why would a very large gauge ground cable make a significant performance improvement compared to the factory electrical system?

Ron
Hey Ron,

We specifically wrote our product description to answer this question:

http://www.activetuning.com/products/nissan/multiple/NI-MP-04GRNDKT-TNAR/

Think about it this way...a manufacturer will spend as much as they can so it's good enough. If it costs Nissan let's say $1 more per car they sell to have heavier gauge wire as the ground for JUST the Titan and Armada. From 2004-July 2005 Nissan has sold 140,471 Titan/Armadas. They just saved themselves $140,471 from just two vehicles they offer.

I have some more info from an electrical engineering standpoint, but it's very technical and very in-depth. If you'd be interested in seeing that, let me know! Or if you have any other specific questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
I have some more info from an electrical engineering standpoint, but it's very technical and very in-depth. If you'd be interested in seeing that, let me know! Or if you have any other specific questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them.
I'd be interested. My dad can decypher that stuff. EE for 35 years building satellites. My specific question is:
Will it affect aftermarket stereos. Specifically, will it add, possibly reduce, or not change any engine whine in the system. I'm thinking of adding a system and engine noise is the number one concern for me right now.

Also, does it benefit G35S as well? Some guys on the G35driver board say yes, some say no.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I ordered the kit, I'll submit pics and feedback once I have some!

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Please forward your technical information, you are welcome to PM me. Although I am not an engineer, I spent 10+ years in the car audio business and know my way around 12V.

I also understand the importance of saving $$$ from a manuactures standpoint because of a discussion back in the 90's with Nissan regarding the cost differences with a soft back window vs glass window on the Z32 300zx's....$14 dollars per car that they were not willing to spend....

I will look forward to reading your technical information.

Ron

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
BRE Armada said:
Please forward your technical information, you are welcome to PM me. Although I am not an engineer, I spent 10+ years in the car audio business and know my way around 12V.

I also understand the importance of saving $$$ from a manuactures standpoint because of a discussion back in the 90's with Nissan regarding the cost differences with a soft back window vs glass window on the Z32 300zx's....$14 dollars per car that they were not willing to spend....

I will look forward to reading your technical information.

Ron
Don't forget Ford saying they would go with one bolt instead of two on the Pinto knowing they would have so many failures, lawsuits, and deaths, etc. and the cost would be less than doing it correctly.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
I ordered on on the group buy, it was a cheap upgrade and it looks nice, and my son talked me into it, he thought it would be fun for him to help me install. As for performance I will let you all know once I have it installed.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
crash4444 said:
I ordered on on the group buy, it was a cheap upgrade and it looks nice, and my son talked me into it, he thought it would be fun for him to help me install. As for performance I will let you all know once I have it installed.
Cool. What color did you get? Red would look sweet on a Black Mada. ;)

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got it installed..took about 30 minutes. The wire that hooks up to the alternator is a pain in the ass only because you have to jack up the truck to get to the bolt on the alternator (at the bottom).

I have to concur with M4ck- the truck does feel "smoother". I wouldn't say it's a huge difference, but what the hell, it's a cheap mod. :)

Overall I'd say it's worth it if you're a tweak head (like most of the members here...heheh) and like to mod your ride.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Cool. Thanks. Can you post a pick? :cool:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts