Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Just want to let you all know that I ordered a True Flow intake for the Armada yesterday. For those that dont know, it replaces the actual filter inside the factory airbox, and the tube inbetween the airbox and the throttle body. (Basically removes the resonators and anything else that would impede airflow.) This company is getting great reviews from other car clubs and forums, and I thought I would give it a chance. I will definately let you all know how it turns out.

In case you don't want to wait for results and would like to order it now, I ordered my from autoanything.com for $245 shipped.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I love my true flow kit, althought the vendor I bought it from recommended a "AEM/K&N" type unit; claimed they gave the best gains with our motors.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad to hear someone else has one. Any install notes you can pass along? Could you tell a difference in gains?

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, like normal UPS screwed up. It shipped from Phoenix and was supposed to arrive here 25 May. That day came, and went. I called UPS to find out what was going on and it was sent to Pennsylvania! (I live in Las Vegas.) Now its not going to get to Pennsylvania until June 1st. I told them to overnight it and they agreed. I have had nothing but bad experiences with UPS, from damaged products on delivery to mis-routed shipments like this one. I am done with them as much as I can control it.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Educate me

Now cosmetic mods I can handle, but when it comes performance, no clue. What is to be gained with just this intake system? MPG? HP? Torque? If so roughly how much? I just want to know what makes it worth a couple hundred dollars.

Thanks for the lesson.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Beast said:
Now cosmetic mods I can handle, but when it comes performance, no clue. What is to be gained with just this intake system? MPG? HP? Torque? If so roughly how much? I just want to know what makes it worth a couple hundred dollars.

Thanks for the lesson.
There are heated debates about intakes and exhaust mods all over the place. The type of filter and type of intake you have all have an impact one way or another.

For different types of filters, you have the OEM paper, cotton gauze (K&N, Volant, AEM), and foam (True Flow & Unifilter). Aftermarket intakes come with either a gauze or foam filter. This is one highly debated topic just speaking from the stand point on the type of filter in the intake system. Cotton gauze traditionally flows better, but has proven in some test to filter less than what a paper or foam would. However, some tests show that certain cotton gauze filters filter just as effectively as a foam filter. It all depends on the maker on this one because everyone has their own version. Some have more pleats and layers (Plys).

The type of intake is debateable too because of the filter location. "Cold Air Intakes" have a filter located somewhere outside of the engine bay, or the filter is in a sealed box where a snorkel is routed outside the engine bay. The Volant is like this. The biggest thing with all intakes, is that you remove the "restrivctive" airbox and tubing going to the throttle body, and replace it with basically a cone filter and 2 1/2" tube. Problem is that you gain HP at the high end of the power curve, but loose some torque down low. This is why I bought the True Flow intake because it does not remove the factory airbox, which actually does scoop air outside the engine bay. This system just replaces the filter inside the box with a foam one, and the tubing between the box and the throttle body. The claim you don't lose torque but I will be the guniea pig to find out. I'm not going to go out and dyno it, but I can usually tell if it is significant. In almost all cars I have had where the entire intake has been replaced, I lost some low end torque that was noticeable.

In the end, for an area you gain in, you always have to give something. I hope I don't lose torque down low, but if I do, I already know that this is the case most of the time. Some people say to counter this problem by installing an aftermarket cat-back exhaust. Don't know if I will do it, but I'll be sure to let you all know if I do. Sorry I rambled a lot, but you asked! :talk2much

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm hoping that the True Flow will let me add both, without losing any LOW END. Low end is the key to me, because that's where the daily driver range is from.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
There are heated debates about intakes and exhaust mods all over the place. The type of filter and type of intake you have all have an impact one way or another.

For different types of filters, you have the OEM paper, cotton gauze (K&N, Volant, AEM), and foam (True Flow & Unifilter). Aftermarket intakes come with either a gauze or foam filter. This is one highly debated topic just speaking from the stand point on the type of filter in the intake system. Cotton gauze traditionally flows better, but has proven in some test to filter less than what a paper or foam would. However, some tests show that certain cotton gauze filters filter just as effectively as a foam filter. It all depends on the maker on this one because everyone has their own version. Some have more pleats and layers (Plys).

The type of intake is debateable too because of the filter location. "Cold Air Intakes" have a filter located somewhere outside of the engine bay, or the filter is in a sealed box where a snorkel is routed outside the engine bay. The Volant is like this. The biggest thing with all intakes, is that you remove the "restrivctive" airbox and tubing going to the throttle body, and replace it with basically a cone filter and 2 1/2" tube. Problem is that you gain HP at the high end of the power curve, but loose some torque down low. This is why I bought the True Flow intake because it does not remove the factory airbox, which actually does scoop air outside the engine bay. This system just replaces the filter inside the box with a foam one, and the tubing between the box and the throttle body. The claim you don't lose torque but I will be the guniea pig to find out. I'm not going to go out and dyno it, but I can usually tell if it is significant. In almost all cars I have had where the entire intake has been replaced, I lost some low end torque that was noticeable.

In the end, for an area you gain in, you always have to give something. I hope I don't lose torque down low, but if I do, I already know that this is the case most of the time. Some people say to counter this problem by installing an aftermarket cat-back exhaust. Don't know if I will do it, but I'll be sure to let you all know if I do. Sorry I rambled a lot, but you asked! :talk2much
i agree, this is a common result i got from the last 2 cars and suv i owned installed with CAI. but for me, i want torque rather than hp...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts