Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just filled my Armada tank for the second time (still running in), wow this thing drinks juice. First tankfull got me 13.5 mpg second fill up 10 mpg, is this normal? I have been driving it like a granny, not using more than 3000rpm and only light throttle most of the time, plus the odd 3/4 throttle burst. I would hate to find out what it does if I drove it like I had stolen it?

Good job petrol only costs a buck a gallon here.

One other thing, the suspension feels very soft. Hit a dip on the highway and it wallows about (front to back), feels like it is running on springs with no damping (very bouncy like an old Yank tank), does anyone else suffer this? The Yukon SLT auto ride I just sold was a far better handler and much better comfort (plus I averaged 18mpg)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
Tmation said:
Just filled my Armada tank for the second time (still running in), wow this thing drinks juice. First tankfull got me 13.5 mpg second fill up 10 mpg, is this normal? I have been driving it like a granny, not using more than 3000rpm and only light throttle most of the time, plus the odd 3/4 throttle burst. I would hate to find out what it does if I drove it like I had stolen it?

Good job petrol only costs a buck a gallon here.

One other thing, the suspension feels very soft. Hit a dip on the highway and it wallows about (front to back), feels like it is running on springs with no damping (very bouncy like an old Yank tank), does anyone else suffer this? The Yukon SLT auto ride I just sold was a far better handler and much better comfort (plus I averaged 18mpg)
If I drive it like I stole it, I average 11 mpg. This is with a 4x4 LE with big wheels and tires (heaviest and worst on gas). If I baby it on the highway, I can brake 16 at 70+/-mph.
I have no bouncy feeling to speak of. Have you checked your tire pressure? Changing my tires firmed up everything dramatically and would address both problems. ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
654 Posts
Stupid question here:

Do you drive around town in D or in 4 ?

I have tried both with no difference in mpg ?

Any help Triple ?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
497 Posts
Tmation said:
Good job petrol only costs a buck a gallon here.
You must work at a refinery... Try keeping rpms under 2200. This will help. You have much more power than the Yukon too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
359 Posts
Who Cares

Tmation said:
Just filled my Armada tank for the second time (still running in), wow this thing drinks juice. First tankfull got me 13.5 mpg second fill up 10 mpg, is this normal? I have been driving it like a granny, not using more than 3000rpm and only light throttle most of the time, plus the odd 3/4 throttle burst. I would hate to find out what it does if I drove it like I had stolen it?

Good job petrol only costs a buck a gallon here.

One other thing, the suspension feels very soft. Hit a dip on the highway and it wallows about (front to back), feels like it is running on springs with no damping (very bouncy like an old Yank tank), does anyone else suffer this? The Yukon SLT auto ride I just sold was a far better handler and much better comfort (plus I averaged 18mpg)
A buck a gallon? Who cares about mileage. Drive it like you stole it! You should fill up the tank from empty and post the gas station receipt here just for grins :thumbup:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I work in Saudi, when I first came it was 32 cent a gallon then it went up to 64 cent then a few years ago hit $1. You should have heard the locals moan :crikey:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
359 Posts
Tmation said:
I work in Saudi, when I first came it was 32 cent a gallon then it went up to 64 cent then a few years ago hit $1. You should have heard the locals moan :crikey:
Jeese. I hope you're getting premium for those rates! I think I vaguely recall when gas crested a buck a gallon here. 20 years ago maybe.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it is 95 RON, so its okay....no running problems even with previous turbo charged cars (Volvo T5)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
5 years ago in NJ and FL. ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
359 Posts
92TripleBlack said:
5 years ago in NJ and FL. ;)
Maybe my memories a bit foggie 5 years, 20, whatever. :rolleyes:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
264 Posts
Soft ride in Mada?!?!?!? I find it kinda stiff in my Q just a tad. Man a buck a gallon seems nice, about $3.40 here in california im driving super careful, i averaged 20 mpg.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
27 Posts
try using a diferent gassome gas companys make cheap gas and sell it cheap but if u keep using it they make the money use cheveron or shell its what i use i know arco and texaco suck major balls i bet half of the gas they sell is water
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
35 Posts
Although the mpg is a bit hard, I’m from the UK and only the Queen can afford to run a truck like this with the fuel prices there. Being in Saudi gives me a chance to run a big gas guzzler…

A US gallon in Saudi costs $.90. In the UK the equivalent of a US Gallon is... wait for it.... $6.70!

A fill up here costs me $25 now - but it must have been amazing to fill up your car for just $8 a few years ago!

Either way, I can live with the lousy mpg at these prices.

PS - all the gas stations here run off the same stuff.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
264 Posts
try using a diferent gassome gas companys make cheap gas and sell it cheap but if u keep using it they make the money use cheveron or shell its what i use i know arco and texaco suck major balls i bet half of the gas they sell is water
I use Valero or Arco, their both cheap and have same quality as 76 and other high quality brands. I gotta disagree with you about arco gas, i think its really good actually.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3 Posts
I average at least 13 city.

I have almost 10K miles on mine and the gas mileage got better as time went on. On a highway trip, I get about 17. If I am towing my camper, I get about 7 to 8 MPG.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18 Posts
My God. Is it possible for you to send a couple of barrels my way? Hell. I was born when 1.50$ was expensive.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15 Posts
Tmation said:
Just filled my Armada tank for the second time (still running in), wow this thing drinks juice. First tankfull got me 13.5 mpg second fill up 10 mpg, is this normal? I have been driving it like a granny, not using more than 3000rpm and only light throttle most of the time, plus the odd 3/4 throttle burst. I would hate to find out what it does if I drove it like I had stolen it?
1. What model is your Armada? The SE (without the towing package) has a 2.94 rear axle ratio - perfect for saving fuel.

If you bought any SE with the towing package, the SE Offroad or the LE, you're stuck with a 3.36 rear end - and poorer fuel economy.

2. I'm getting 16-18MPG with my Armada - the cheapest SE I could find. I opted for the most economical rear axle ratio.

3. Don't be afraid of using plenty of throttle for getting up into top gear on the open road or passing. Sometimes you waste more fuel by wasting time in the lower gears. On the other hand, don't make quick standing starts - that's a surefire way of wasting fuel.

4. Don't drive for long periods at constant speeds (and rpms) during the break in period. If you have to make a long trip, try two lane secondaries instead of an interstate slog.




Tmation said:
One other thing, the suspension feels very soft. Hit a dip on the highway and it wallows about (front to back), feels like it is running on springs with no damping (very bouncy like an old Yank tank), does anyone else suffer this? The Yukon SLT auto ride I just sold was a far better handler and much better comfort (plus I averaged 18mpg)
My Armada is very stiff riding - but the payoff is tremendous handling and roll resistance for an SUV. This big Nissan accelerates and corners like a Porsche Cayenne S and hauls like a 3/4 ton Suburban. Has Nissan made suspension specification changes for your market? If you are an overseas buyer, I'd have to wonder if the suspension of your vehicle was damaged in shiping from the United States? Sometimes vehicles are "dropped" during shipping by third party transport companies. It happens.

I know GM SUVs pretty well, and I would accuse any Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade of a floaty, poorly controled ride and clumsy handling.

As far as the 18mpg you registered with your Yukon, that sort of figure is plausable, if only because the smaller engined GM products fall far short of the Armada in performance. The only truly comparable drivetrain is the 6.0 liter in the Escalade and Denali - and you can expect horrific fuel economy with that beast - despite performance that still trails the Armada.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I have a 2005 LE 4X4, have been in a few now, SE and LE, and the ride is the same. I find it soft and squishy but am starting to get used to it now. I am English and had 20+ years of driving European cars until I bought the Yukon nearly 5 years ago.

It feels like the damping rates are all wrong. It wallows on dips and bumps but crashes and bangs on pot holes and speed bumps etc. The steering also seems to transmit to much when you touch lane markers (cats eyes) and ridges, but some of this maybe down to the tyres (tires).

I find most American made cars very soft in the handling department, its just at first the Armada seemed a backwards step ride and handling wise. The fit and finish is much better than the Yukon (but still not very good) but like all American made cars it seems built down to a price rather than up to a standard. I suppose its what your market demands and the price you pay for cheap vehicles.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15 Posts
Tmation said:
I have a 2005 LE 4X4, have been in a few now, SE and LE, and the ride is the same. I find it soft and squishy but am starting to get used to it now. I am English and had 20+ years of driving European cars until I bought the Yukon nearly 5 years ago.
There's a big difference between European cars. Just what sort of cars are we talking about? A Jaguar XJ? A Land Rover Defender? A Morris Minor?


Tmation said:
It feels like the damping rates are all wrong. It wallows on dips and bumps but crashes and bangs on pot holes and speed bumps etc.).
Yes, you will feel pot holes and speed bumps in the Armada. The suspension is very stiff - just the way I like it.

"Wallows on dips?"

Having driven plenty of very large and very softly sprung American cars at very alarming speeds, I can imagine what you mean, but your criticism doesn't apply to my Armada.



Tmation said:
The steering also seems to transmit to much when you touch lane markers (cats eyes) and ridges, but some of this maybe down to the tyres (tires).
That's steering feel.

Yes, there is a bit of kick back with any rack and pinion setup, but that's better than the typically vague setup on a big GM SUV. You can make attempts to dampen out steering feedback, but you end up with very sloppy steering.





Tmation said:
I find most American made cars very soft in the handling department, its just at first the Armada seemed a backwards step ride and handling wise.
I really have to wonder how you're driving your vehicle. Driven with enthusism on the highway, the Armada has far more confident handling than any current fullsized GM SUV.

Overall, the ride/handling compromise is very acceptable when you consider that the Armada has far more offroad capability than a Tahoe/Yukon.




Tmation said:
The fit and finish is much better than the Yukon (but still not very good) but like all American made cars it seems built down to a price rather than up to a standard.
Pardon me, but the Armada's material and build quality is a revelation compared to the American competition.

Keep in mind that I could have purchased two(!) base Armadas for the price of a single fully equipped Toyota Landcruiser.

Tmation said:
I suppose its what your market demands and the price you pay for cheap vehicles.
Are you are going to suggest that the vast majority of European motorists drive anything other than small, dull and cheap cars?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
Gh0sT said:
My God. Is it possible for you to send a couple of barrels my way? Hell. I was born when 1.50$ was expensive.
:crikey:
I was born when it was 20 cents a gallon. :amazing:
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top