Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, couple of days ago I went to my local pepboys to get my 2009 LE armada inspected. It has always passed but this year was slightly different, after waiting 3 hours there the guy at the counter called me and told me he found few issues, so I took a deep breath and told him go ahead give the bad news, the bill came up to around $350, so I told him not to do it that I’ll try something else. needed new wipers(easy) license plate light bulb(easy) , passenger side outer tie rod (easy, thanks to YouTube university up to the point of losing the damn nut that connects the inner with the outer, not the castle nut) can you brothers make it easier for me? I tried last night under freezing weather for couple of hours, the damn thing don’t wanna get lose, I’m using the righty lefty rule with the adjustable the right way (I hope), tried penetrating oil but no luck. Any suggestions please, I need to get it inspected ASAP. Thanks a bunch.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I’m using the righty lefty rule with the adjustable the right way (I hope), tried penetrating oil but no luck. Any suggestions please, I need to get it inspected ASAP. Thanks a bunch.
You talking about trying to break the castle nut free? Proper socket and breaker bar.
If you are talking about the jam nut, you would turn that one clockwise (right) to move it UP the threads away from the outer tie rod.

Then count the number of spins you use to get the outer tie rod off and use that same number of spins putting the new tie rod on. You should also get a wheel alignment done afterwards.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok yes sorry for the confusion, I was trying with the adjustable wrench, I believe that’s what is called the “jam nut”? I tried all my wrenches none fit the nut to brake it lose that’s why I was trying it with the adjustable. Any idea what size is the jam nut? I can go to Autozone and get me a wrench for the job, even like that I’d be saving some greens versus the shop. Thanks for the reply

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
See my updated post above... if you were trying "lefty loosey" on the jam nut, that is the wrong direction.
In that case, you could probably loosen it with an adjustable, turning it clockwise.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I gotta ask where you live that you have to take your car to Pepboys for them to inspect your windshield wipers and license plate bulbs. That's the craziest thing I've ever heard of.

As far as the jam nut - if you can unscrew the tie rod off you really don't have to move the jam nut. You want to put the new tie rod back on as close to the same spot as it was when you took it off - which is right up to that nut. A tied rod replacement usually requires an alignment and if that is you then just slap the new tie rod on and let the alignment guys move the jam nut as needed.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I gotta ask where you live that you have to take your car to Pepboys for them to inspect your windshield wipers and license plate bulbs. That's the craziest thing I've ever heard of.
Those 2 things would also fail my safety inspection here in PA. In fact, my wipers did fail when I got my inspection a few months ago. Wipers can't leave any streaks behind after 5 swipes.

Also some PepBoys are more than just a parts place. Some of the larger ones have attached repair shops and can serve as licensed safety inspection stations.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Don't touch the jam nut.

As long as your new tie-rod is the same length as the old one, you should just need to use some big vise-grips to hold onto the inner tie-rod shaft, and unthread the outer tie-rod off.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You talking about trying to break the castle nut free? Proper socket and breaker bar.
If you are talking about the jam nut, you would turn that one clockwise (right) to move it UP the threads away from the outer tie rod.

Then count the number of spins you use to get the outer tie rod off and use that same number of spins putting the new tie rod on. You should also get a wheel alignment done afterwards.
Thank god I was turning that nut the right way (clockwise) but still didn’t get lose, that’s what I was trying to do after removing it(count the spins) , I’ll try again tonight right after work. Working in the dark with freezing cold weather not fun but I’m in a rush, oh well. Thanks for replying

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m not sure but it looks like here in New York inspection standards are more strict? Same thing happened to DW Toyota couple of years ago, the stealer failed her inspection due to worn wipers

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies, I’ll try again tonight after work. I’m not touching the jam nut as few of you have suggested. I hope I can get it done tonight. One more question, do I need to get it aligned to pass the inspection? I was hoping to do that after the inspection . Thanks

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
One more question, do I need to get it aligned to pass the inspection? I was hoping to do that after the inspection . Thanks
No, you don't have to have it aligned for the safety inspection.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for the delay guys, everyone in my house got sick last week (except for me...nock on wood) including 8 year old Dave Jr. it gets more complicated when children have to miss school SMH and didn’t really have enough time to get online that much and post anything on here. My apologies. Sooo, I was able to remove the jam nut using the adjustable and some heat from the torch , it got lose fairly easy, I only turned the nut half way,In regards of the tie rod in my particular case it took 12 spins to remove it. Went back to pepboys to get it re-inspected and re-aligned. Total final cost DIY including alignment around $140, total cost @ the shop around $450. Tools and accessories used: 8 ton Michelin jack, 22 open box wrench , mid size adjustable wrench, 4 pound sledge, torch, zap penetrating lubricant. I can’t thank you enough guys for all the replies and suggestions. Next time any of yous is around Long Island LMK I got a Nice 12 year old bottle of Macallan premium Malt that I got for my birthday waiting to get shared. Have a great week all!!
F4967421-C3D9-40C1-9E7B-77750CB9AE59.jpeg

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Glad it worked out, and you saved some $$$

1 - 13 of 13 Posts