Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have an aftermarket DVD and the monitor bounced badly. I found out shortly after I put it in the even the factory system was terrible. They finally came out with a "TSB fix" which replaced the bracket that supports the front of the overhead console. I should clarify that this is for Armada's with sunroof's. Anyway the bracket is like $100 and supposedly takes 2 to 3 hours to install. My dealership ended up doing it for me for free as I have had a long ongoing quality issue with them and they were being nice guys.

Well the new bracket did do some good but not like I had hoped. Lets say without out it the acceptability of the roof shake was a 3 and with the bracket it was a 6.

I won't go into the dealership issues I had this morning (already did that in another post), but I will tell you how to anchor the overhead so that there is no shake. What I did was take 2 3/4" self tapping metal screws and put them in the bracket where it crosses the center roof support beam.

It's very easy to do and makes a HUGE difference. I took and bolted the bracket up in place and then just screwed the screws into the rear side of the roof support beam. You just need to put the scews in far enough away from where the console snaps up through the bracket that they don't interfere with it. You should see the slot in the bracket for the snap so it's no big deal to miss.

If you have a DVD and the roof shake annoys you I would highly suggest you do this. With these two little screws the acceptability of the roof shake is a 10. It's as solid as the front overhead bin now.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
How much vibration is considered bad? Mine is pretty firm but started shaking whenever i go over a bad section of the road. i can just reach behind me and feel the vibration. Wife said she doesnt notice any shake on the dvd screen but it still bothers me to feel the heavy vibration.

Should i get the tsb done and then do the 2 screws myself? I just dont want the dealer to mess it up and make it worse.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mada said:
How much vibration is considered bad? Mine is pretty firm but started shaking whenever i go over a bad section of the road. i can just reach behind me and feel the vibration. Wife said she doesnt notice any shake on the dvd screen but it still bothers me to feel the heavy vibration.

Should i get the tsb done and then do the 2 screws myself? I just dont want the dealer to mess it up and make it worse.
Mine bothered me enough that I couldn't watch the screen, my daughter never complained though...but she's 3 so....

The 04's with sunroof came out with a little bracket that was worthless. They came out with a redesigned bracket in Sept 04. If you have an 05 I would think they would of been putting them in at the factory. You shouldn't need anything done then in terms of TSB. I would guess though that they are putting them in like the TSB and it's not supported in the middle.

It's easy to do so I would do it if bothers you at all. It's easy to take down and you may be able to get the screws in there with out completely removing the console, just take and let it hang by the front hanger and see if you can get the screws in without having to undo the harnesses.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Thanks. So i can basically follow the instruction in the TSB to remove the roof or lower just part of it enough to slip in the screws.

With your current fix, do you feel any heavy vibration from the area right behind the sun roof?

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mada said:
Thanks. So i can basically follow the instruction in the TSB to remove the roof or lower just part of it enough to slip in the screws.

With your current fix, do you feel any heavy vibration from the area right behind the sun roof?

Well after 4 days of driving with my "fix" I think I need to try something else. While the console and headliner don't flex anymore the whole roof shakes enough that there is still a lot of vibration. What would be great is if I could figure out some sort of dampening connection. I may have the bracket too tight so this weekend I'm going to let it down some and see how it goes. It is better than it was but now it rides too firm and I get a knocking sound from the bin with my monitor. I can fix that by putting in some padding in the top of the bin so that when the monitor is closed it doesn't have any play. But I think there might be some improvement if I loosen my added screws so that the front of the bracket has some flex in it....not as much as before but enough to take a little of the harsher road conditions. We'll see, just thought I'd let you all know I'm backing off some on my great "fix" solution. While it's better, it's not as great as I first thought.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
llajumpvid said:
Well after 4 days of driving with my "fix" I think I need to try something else. While the console and headliner don't flex anymore the whole roof shakes enough that there is still a lot of vibration. What would be great is if I could figure out some sort of dampening connection. I may have the bracket too tight so this weekend I'm going to let it down some and see how it goes. It is better than it was but now it rides too firm and I get a knocking sound from the bin with my monitor. I can fix that by putting in some padding in the top of the bin so that when the monitor is closed it doesn't have any play. But I think there might be some improvement if I loosen my added screws so that the front of the bracket has some flex in it....not as much as before but enough to take a little of the harsher road conditions. We'll see, just thought I'd let you all know I'm backing off some on my great "fix" solution. While it's better, it's not as great as I first thought.

Update. I took the console down (once again) and backed the screws I added out some. I had them previously tightened so that the bracket touched the roof beam. This made it too rigid. I backed them out so that when the bracket is held up tight in the front and back, my added screws are tight and not forcing the bracket up. I also drilled out the holes in the bracket so that they are larger than the screws. I put a couple of rubber gromets between the bracket and the washer I have on the screw. It now rides very well and there is hardly any vibration. I can say now that this is a good fix after having driven 3 days on a variety of roads.

I also dynamatted my sunroof shade....my sunroof shade rattle was beginning to come back so I added some mass to the shade....I over did it probably as I added 2.5 layers and the shade now weighs about 5 lbs but the rattle is gone. One layer would of been enough probably but I have plenty so I did a second layer....and then put the left overs on too. :teeth:

If you tip the sunroof up you can get "some" access to the top of the shade. It's not a lot but you can get some strips in there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts