Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
08 Nissan Armada SE
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so to start with I am female and as I know there are many women who may know how to work on their vehicles I am not one of them and my husband knew how to work on cars years ago but has a hard time with all this new computerized stuff and how things are now laid out under the hood. Anyway that being said I have an issue that is confusing both of us . 3 times now over a couple week period my Armada has over heated but it's how it's doing it that is confusing
1) it's not losing any water before overheating
2)my oil is normal (not milky)
3) no white exhaust or water drops in exhaust (dry)
It's happened the same way all 3 times. I'll be sitting at a traffic light and all the sudden my gauge will go from being in the middle to instantly up to hot. By the time I pull over it will be pushing out all the water through what it seems to be some sort of pressure relief area ???? We can't seem to see exactly where but it looks like somewhere on the grill side of the radiator towards the bottom. After letting it cool for a bit I fill it with 2.5 gallons of water, start the truck and its then fine. After the second time it happened my husband went ahead and changed the thermostat hoping that mite be the problem. Well unfortunately a couple of days later it happened again so at this point we are thinking water pump but I wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else so I can be more informed before I bring it to be repaired. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
6,306 Posts
hi and welcome.

this time of year this forum gets these threads. i recommend you take a bit of time to search in this subform as you may bear fruit that can help you.

some background info since folks over the internet cant see the car...

what model year/trim?
did you just buy it? did you buy it used or new?
whats the mileage?
any maintenance records? do you do your own maintenance or let nissan or a 3rd party do it?

off the top of the dome, it could be temp sensors, heater core could be clogged, water pump, clogged radiator, air in the system.

if you have had the car a while and/or bought it used, has there ever been any maintenance done?

are you running the AC when this happens? if not, does it make things worse when you engage the AC?
does your clutch fan work? have you tested it? what about the electric fan?

·
Registered
08 Nissan Armada SE
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a fan in front of the radiator that kicks on when it's over heating (is that the fan your referring to) I just purchased about 3 months ago , it's an 08 SE with 130k on it and unfortunately there are no records of maintenance . It seems like it was taken care of though as it is in extremely good condition.
As for the A/C yes it was running all 3 times and was my immediate clue there was a problem because it stopped blowing cold air. I'm not sure if the problem is worse with it on because I immediately shut AC off so as to not cause further stress on the motor till I can get to the side of the road. It just seems so odd that it blows all the coolant out when it overheats then after throwing a couple of jugs of water in its fine again until it feels like acting up. BTW am I correct in thinking there is a pressure release and that's where all the coolant is coming out at when it overheats???
Any big issues that my husband and I can't figure out it will go to a long time used local repair shop.

·
Administrator
6,306 Posts
im not a mechanic , but it seems you may have multiple issues. you can have low refrigerant, you may have air bubbles in the system which causes the system to become inefficient. your water pump can be faulty as well. sadly without any maintenance records, you dont know what was done or not. unless you have a certification in R134a and have the equipment to recover and install R134a, it may be better to have a qualified HVAC tech smoke over the system. you clearly have a leak somewhere, and yes I think there is a pressure relief valve in the t stat cap i believe (speculation). you could have a clogged radiator or heater core. lot of possibilities.

·
Registered
08 Nissan Armada SE
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So this whole air bubbles in the system and burping is something we have never heard of . If it is the water pump when the mechanic changes the pump are they supposed to "burp" the system ? BTW I truly appreciate you being so attentive and doing your best to help me out .

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,306 Posts
we are over the internet so we cant see or know what has been done so some things I ask or say may not be applicable to your situation. yes the mechanic should do these things but its still worth noting so we are all on the same page.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
These trucks doesn’t have a pressure relief valve for the coolant system. From what it sounds like, the radiator itself may possibly be leaking at the seams.

·
Registered
08 Nissan Armada SE
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
we are over the internet so we cant see or know what has been done so some things I ask or say may not be applicable to your situation. yes the mechanic should do these things but its still worth noting so we are all on the same page.
I do appreciate all your help it at least gives me a better idea of the possible issues can be

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok so to start with I am female and as I know there are many women who may know how to work on their vehicles I am not one of them and my husband knew how to work on cars years ago but has a hard time with all this new computerized stuff and how things are now laid out under the hood. Anyway that being said I have an issue that is confusing both of us . 3 times now over a couple week period my Armada has over heated but it's how it's doing it that is confusing
1) it's not losing any water before overheating
2)my oil is normal (not milky)
3) no white exhaust or water drops in exhaust (dry)
It's happened the same way all 3 times. I'll be sitting at a traffic light and all the sudden my gauge will go from being in the middle to instantly up to hot. By the time I pull over it will be pushing out all the water through what it seems to be some sort of pressure relief area ???? We can't seem to see exactly where but it looks like somewhere on the grill side of the radiator towards the bottom. After letting it cool for a bit I fill it with 2.5 gallons of water, start the truck and its then fine. After the second time it happened my husband went ahead and changed the thermostat hoping that mite be the problem. Well unfortunately a couple of days later it happened again so at this point we are thinking water pump but I wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else so I can be more informed before I bring it to be repaired. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
I had a similar problem in a 2011 titan and it turned out to be a faulty not yet failed completely head gasket

·
Registered
08 Nissan Armada SE
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
H
Why has no one mentioned the thermostat? Thermostat's can be faulty at times
Hi , I actually mentioned it in my original message. That's the first thing we changed . But thank you for looking out.

I had a similar problem in a 2011 titan and it turned out to be a faulty not yet failed completely head gasket
Hi , I appreciate your input can you give me more info . I was hoping that this would not be the problem and also was definitely not thinking it was the problem because no milky oil and white smoke or droplets in tailpipe.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Couple things to look at. Make sure the radiator cap on the radiator neck is oem. There should be no spring on that, it completely seals and does not open or close allowing coolant to pass through the hose to the expansion tank. Secondly, make sure the cap on the expansion tank is oem as well. That is a pressure rated cap and allows pressure to bleed off. Could be air in the system like others mentioned. Sure fire way to get the air out is remove the cap on the expansion tank and start the truck. Allow the truck to come up to temp and open/close the t-stat a couple times. Keep the heater on all the way set to max temp with fan on high. Keep an eye on the temp gauge and if coolant drops below mid between high and low add coolant while running. Just make sure the t-stat opens and closes a couple times to ensure coolant has moved through the entire system multiple times. Replace cap and take it for a ride and see what it does. Do Not shut off truck with cap removed from expansion tank. If this does not take care of it I’d be looking at the clutch fan possibly loosing all its oil and not locking up. The fan should have some resistance when spinning it. Also look for oil leaking from the clutch where the shaft enters. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
After letting it cool for a bit I fill it with 2.5 gallons of water, start the truck and its then fine.
Just a guess but your radiator might have a leak. That's a lot of coolant you loosing each time. IIRC i read somewhere in this forum that the seams on the bottom & top of the radiator over time can expand and cause leakage. Check the top of the radiator for rust, that's a tell tale of a radiator that going bad.

·
Registered
08 Nissan Armada SE
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so I just wanted to give everyone who has been so helpful and all the future readers an update . So as it turns out I do need a new radiator . It was in fact leaking all along just not to the point that I could see it until it got low enough to overheat the truck and then blow it all out . Anyway $645 to have my local mechanic replace it . Not sure of that's alot but it's at least a relief that it's not the head . Thank you again to everyone who helped with my situation.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Ok so I just wanted to give everyone who has been so helpful and all the future readers an update . So as it turns out I do need a new radiator . It was in fact leaking all along just not to the point that I could see it until it got low enough to overheat the truck and then blow it all out . Anyway $645 to have my local mechanic replace it . Not sure of that's alot but it's at least a relief that it's not the head . Thank you again to everyone who helped with my situation.
If the replacement radiator hasn’t been order yet, get the aluminum from CFS. It adds to the cost but for the peace of mind it’s worth it. It’s better than the OEM and don’t bother with aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
08 Nissan Armada SE
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If the replacement radiator hasn’t been order yet, get the aluminum from CFS. It adds to the cost but for the peace of mind it’s worth it. It’s better than the OEM and don’t bother with aftermarket ones.
Thank you for looking out . Unfortunately I think its already ordered they are putting it in Monday. Forgive my ignorance but what is CFS ? thankx again

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Thank you for looking out . Unfortunately I think its already ordered they are putting it in Monday. Forgive my ignorance but what is CFS ? thankx again
CSF is a brand of radiator, the all aluminum version as a good reputation here in the forums. I tow & most of my miles in the Armada are long distance. I did not want to be worrying about when the plastic parts where going to fail. Also while looking for the radiator i noticed the aftermarket ones run for a hundred and change. So it looks like you paying $400 in labor, no disrespect to mechanics but that's a lot of labor charge assuming hes using a standard aftermarket radiator.

To take off the radiator the fan clutch and radiator hoses had to be removed/disconnected. This is the perfect time to replace these items, as there very little additional labor time to replace them. Also i would ask to have the hose clamps replaced with the gear ones, since the OEM ones tent to loose tension after a while (see picture below). If hes a honest/decent mechanic he would just charge for the parts. It's worth asking since your Armada a 2008 and the over heating stressed the hoses.

CSF Radiator 3328 CSF Racing Radiators | Summit Racing

Product Rectangle Wood Font Metal

Body jewelry Silver Jewellery Auto part Nickel

Attachments

·
Registered
08 Nissan Armada SE
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you vwchisme, you have been most helpful. I will have to call them in the morning and see if I can possibly change things up and have the additional parts added.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts