Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at 123k I'm getting a P0430 code. No loud exhaust leak noises, but maybe its just starting, idk. 2014 QX80.

I would go OEM but they want A LOT of money. Many of the manifolds on Rock auto are about $350, but they say specifically they wont ship to CA. However, our forum sponsor carid has these. CATCO® - Exhaust Manifold with Integrated Catalytic Converter

Which seem ok, but when I put them in the cart they say they aren't CARB compliant. I don't think it really matters, since no one is crawling down to check... but I want to hear other peoples experience. They WILL notice shiny longtube headers, so I don't want to go the cajun route...

Thoughts? link to your favorite how to?

Why was this moved to performance mods? I mentioned a sponsor and I'm looking to replace with OEM equivelent....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Do you know for a fact you will not have to go through a visual inspection ? As of recent laws in CA there has been a push to crack down on those with performance mods causing a lot of people to either remove parts to go back to stock or sell their hobby cars. The tuner crowd has been most impacted by this. Many posts about people being hit with huge fines...

If you do not have to deal with inspection then maybe try the OBD spacer trick which has been shared on many forums. Many cars with bad cats or check engine lights due to Cats use this method. This is up to you but if you have to go through a visual inspection you will be flagged.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Last time I had a smog check on my 2000 Maxima, the guy never even lifted the hood. He plugged his scanner into the OBD port, clicked a bunch of buttons, and voila.....out came my certificate. No probe up the tailpipe, running on the "dyno" or anything. I asked him about that and he said the new systems don't need to do these measurements any more, they rely solely on the feedback from the OBD port and the car's computer. In the past, they would have to check a bunch of stuff, including crawl underneath to check the exhaust system, check the gas cap, run the engine on the dyno, etc etc. Not now. And I live in the Los Angeles area; probably not going to get more stringent than there. And this was not my normal mechanic, as he doesn't do smog checks. This was a random smog check station that I picked simply by how close it was to home.

Having said that, has made it hard for my Mom to get her old Nissan Sentra smogged. Can't remember what year it is, but it is pre-OBDII. She ended up having to go to multiple places to get it smogged. Thankfully, her mechanic was able to do the legwork for her, and find her a place to get it checked; she's almost 84, and she had no idea what to ask for or what to do.

Keith

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it depends on the model year of the car, but in my county they actually take a cursory look. Cajun pipes are gonna stick out.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Do you feel lucky? Personally, I wouldn't chance it. I'm in California and just put JBA shorties on my 06 Armada. Took for smog following the installation and didn't say anything to them at the smog station about the headers. When I picked up the car they had the headers noted on my receipt along with the CARB EO#.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts

·
Vendor
192 Posts
You can goo much cheaper buy removing the front cats and replacing the rear with a sport Euro 5 solutions (Magnaflow, Vibrant )
NO. California is special, typical advice does not apply there

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Based on the difference between my long term and short term fuel trims I replaced the MAF. After I did i got a different MAF code I hadn't had before, so I tried a cheaper one and it has worked for Months and thousands of miles. If you have a newer Qx/Armada check your trims before assuming it's your cars when you dont have the full suite of regular codes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts