Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forum,

So, I am not the kind of guy to do this. I don’t just take to the interweb anytime I get excited or angered. I don’t post pictures of my dinners; I don’t forward funny cat videos. Heck, the only time I have ever tweeted was when my 7-year old kicked me in the goods. The truth is I don’t have time between clients, kids, and trips to the Infiniti service department to be doing this kind of stuff. But sometimes, things are so bad, you are left with no other choice but to stand up and make a stink. That’s the point I have reached with my Infiniti QX56. Part of me feels the need to warn potential buyers of the hell I have suffered; a larger part of me needs to sleep peacefully knowing I did not simply submit to the will of a corporation more beholden to their bottom line than they are to their customers.

I will not go into great detail regarding most of the countless problems I have had with my QX56. Just know that I felt close enough to my service advisor to send him a family Christmas card. By the way, my service advisor, as well as my local service department, has been wonderful. It’s not their fault my car has had more problems than a Kardashian marriage. Really, until this most recent problem, I was content to simply never own another Infiniti product as long as I live.

Then, my paint started peeling off in king-sized sheets. I mean, it’s not flaking from rock-dings, its peeling off like clothes during spring break. No big deal, right? I mean, this is obviously a manufacturing defect, so Infiniti will have no issue paying to have it repainted, right? I mean, it’ll be inconvenient, but I have gotten used to that with this car. WRONG!!!!!!! I hope you can imagine my jaw-dropping SHOCK to learn Infiniti will not pay for what is CLEARLY a manufacturing defect because paint is “not covered under warranty.”

Yes, paint is not covered under warranty and I understand why. People do stupid things with their cars, so covering paint comprehensively would be problematic. However, this isn’t the result of me driving through some brush or using a particular soap for washing my car. THIS IS CLEARLY A MANUFACTURING DEFECT I AM BEING ASKED TO PAY TO REPAIR. I get it, really. As a company of profit, Infiniti does not have to pay. However, as a company of principle, they should certainly pay.

I have been told by my dealership, which reached out to the “regional service rep,” that they will not pay to cover this manufacturing defect. So, I am no longer seeking coverage from Infiniti. I am not going to beg and grovel for a company to stand behind their product. I will, however, yell and scream to anybody within earshot not to buy an Infiniti automobile. Heck, I stopped by the new car lot (after leaving the service department) and had a "buyer beware" conversation with a family looking at a new QX80. They were quite shocked at my paint. I told them my car was a special "leprosy" edition QX. Laughs all around as they got got back in their car and drove off.

Needless to say, it’s become my life’s goal (not really, but a goal nonetheless), to cost Infiniti more in future sales than it would have cost them to repaint my car. That’s how free markets work. If I am unhappy with a product, I am free to let the world know. So, I also purchased the domain infiniteexpenses.c0m and will build a simple website detailing my woes and the woes of other Infiniti owners in similar situations. (Actually, there seems to be a bunch of owners of white, 2011 QX56’s facing the EXACT same problem, so there was clearly an issue in that manufacturing run). I will then circulate that domain through as many channels as possible to get my experience out. I’ll also post this in as many relevant forums as I can find.

Hell, I have even designed a bumper sticker to put on my car (if you want one, send me your address and I’ll mail it out free!). As you can clearly see, I have more resources than I have good sense, but I’ll achieve my goal of having Infiniti pay one way or another. I may take out a billboard if the mood strikes me. Again, its not the money, its the principle.

Now, back to my cat videos.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues. Hopefully Infiniti figures out what is right and takes care of you.

That said, I'm on my second QX56/QX80 and have never had any issues with the paint, so it sounds like an isolated issue with your vehicle or a small subset of vehicles. Fact is, I've never seen anything like what you described and we seem to have lots of QX56/QX80's around where I live.

Good luck with your troubles but know there are lots of us out there who have never had this issue and are very happy with our vehicles.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Wow sorry you've gone through so much trouble. Would love to see pictures of the issue so we know what to avoid in the future. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you all very much for your responses! I didn't post pictures as I am a new member and do not yet have picture posting privileges. I also can't post links. That said, I uploaded a few pics to a gallery. The last two pictures in the gallery are from another QX owner in Tallahassee. I have seen 2 OTHER QXs with the same issue in THIS AREA ALONE.

ellisgroup.dphoto.cXm/album/7ac78g (replace X with O)

I have also compiled a few stories I found online that seem to describe the exact same phenomenon. Again, I can't provide links to these accounts, but will be more than happy to email anybody wanting more information on the cases described below:

1. Just returned from the Infinity dealership today with my 2011 QX56. I had them inspect the paint that is peeling away on the roof just above the windshield. They told me it was from road debris and its not covered. That’s bull. The paint is just flaking off across the entire width of the roof. I called Consumer number. They said it is not under warranty, so nothing they can do. If anyone has any luck with this let me know.

2. Paint is peeling off of the roof of our 2012 QX56 - This expensive of a vehicle should not have such a defect. I have read online that Infiniti has had this issue in other make/model years and disavowed responsibility. I am still waiting for the to respond to me. If left alone it appears that the peeling will continue until there is no paint left on the roof of the vehicle. If I end up having to fix the defect I will immediately sell the vehicle after the paint has been repaired and never purchase another Infiniti product again.

3. Well I own a 2011 Infiniti QX56 with 82k miles.....Paint starting peeling off of roof with 75k miles and lucky dealer made a mistake and they fixed it for me but they did tell me that the 2011 white paint were having problems with the paint chipping.

4. I have a 2014 Infinity QX56. The paint is peeling on the hood, roof, and rear of the vehicle. I've been to a couple of body shops, and both of them said that it is a manufacturer defect. I am waiting to hear back from Infinity now, but if they will not solve the problem, I am prepared to seek legal action!

5. My sister has a 2011 QX56. The white paint is peeling on the roof, and now that we've started searching, it seems there are a LOT of people with the same issue.
Lots of posts on their facebook page, and Infinity's response, "Contact the dealer".

·
Registered
1 Posts
My white 2012 QX56 started having the paint peeling problem at around 100K. There is a class action law suit that was started in Michigan in 2017 and in 2018 the court told Infiniti on appeal that they could not require owners to go to arbitration. Based on that I took my vehicle to the local Infiniti dealer last month. They took pictures and said they would submit my claim. SO far no word back.

·
Super Moderator
5,327 Posts
Tell us more of the class action law suit and how to request to be included.

couple of seconds searching online I found these articles and a facebook page:

did a brief scan on the facebook page and one member stated they had their car re-painted once they filed a complaint with infiniti corporate. took about 3.4 weeks the person stated...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 white Infiniti QX56 and the paint is falling off big time above my windshield also! I got a notice today in the mail about the class action lawsuit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Keep pushing, manufacturers don't care until they reach a tipping point or it goes to court.

Read about the Tundra cam tower leak. It's been going on for 12 years, no recall, no TSB. Former Tundra owner here....

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I have a 2011 white Infiniti QX56 and the paint is falling off big time above my windshield also! I got a notice today in the mail about the class action lawsuit.
Hello, I recd the same notice for my 2011 couple days ago that has paint issue. What do we need to do with this notice.? Do we need to fill any forms or reply back and get our vehicle added?
thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I received a letter in the mail the other day from a law group that was suing Nissan for this exact problem right here. fortunately my paint job has been fine on mine but I'll see if I can find that paperwork send you a picture of it. it look like they may have some success with getting some money recouped.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Only people that win in a class action is the lawyers .

What will happen is that instead of Infiniti paying 100% for the paint repairs it will be pro rated and the consumer (you) will have to pay a good percentage to have vehicle repainted or walk away with a few bucks in your pocket..

The cost to do this job is right under $13K. Saw the estimate.

My 56 was repainted by Infiniti at local Body Shop that is Infiniti certified. My vehicle was completely taken apart, stripped of the bad paint. Now Idid pay to have the various dents and such repaired as Infiniti is not paying to fix my stupidity. Also had a new windshield installed.

The headlights were dull ,which I see a lot on cars newer than mine.

The shop had simply sanded/polished them.

Process took about 5 weeks from submitting a claim / completion. Of that, it took the repair facility 12 business days.

My 2011 56 looks like brand new! It's paid for! Next to a brad new 2020 other than headlights, rims, and side vents it looks identical!

Was I Disgusted that the paint did what it did ? Yes. Through the whole process I was polite with the employees at Infiniti . They didn't paint the car , why take frustration out on them?

Get more bee's with honey than garbage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The website is vehiclepaintsettlement.com. There was supposed to be a final approval hearing Dec19th, 2019 in Tennessee, but I'm not sure if that happened. The website says to check back in Jan 2020, so I'll keep looking for updates. FYI, I called my local dealer, they had me bring it in, then sent me to a paint shop for an estimate and I've heard nothing since (Approx Nov1). If anyone else has any updates, let us know
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an '11 white QX56 and received the settlement notice yesterday. After calling both a local dealer per the instructions and Infiniti Client Services, I can report that there is mass confusion. Each party told me to call the other. I was also informed that the extended 8 year paint warranty had already expired even though the settlement was just announced. What is also confusing is: "The Nissan Rogue and Infiniti QX56 extended warranties provide one full repaint of the white vehicle, but customers will still need to pay a 10% co-pay for the first two years of the repaint claim period. However, if the repaint occurs during the final two years of the repaint claim period, customers will need to pay a 30% co-pay.”

I emailed the lawfirm that brought the suit and will report back when I receive info.

If anyone has info regarding this or has talked to Infiniti I'd like to hear of your experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
According to the website, the settlement has been approved. I have an appointment with my local dealer on Thursday 2/13. Even though I previously brought my QX56 in for inspection, the service manager said that now that the settlement has been approved, the y have a very specific procedure they need to follow in order to submit a claim, so she said they need the car for roughly a 1/2 day. FYI, if you have any dents or rust, they won't cover that and you'll probably need to repair that prior to the repaint. I also asked if the dealer has to absorb any of the cost and she said no, so hopefully dealers will be cooperative. I'll report back with any updates after my appointment

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, had my appointment with the dealer @7am this morning (45minute ride) and they told me i’m not covered because the extended warranty expired in May 2019. Of course i didn’t get the notice until October 2019. Doesn’t make any sense at all. I’ve emailed the class action law firm for an explanation, but probably not expecting an answer. Anyone else have a better result ?

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Class action lawsuits are a complete joke. The only people that benefit from a class action lawsuit are the lawyers that bring the suit. They get 30-35% of the total value, and the rest is split amongst the thousands of people that are impacted. Pennies on the dollar.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts