Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one done a paint sealer? How much did it cost and is it worth it?
A co worker of mine is recommneding it and it goes about ~300 to have it done through a professional detail shop. thx.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6 Posts
i did it through the dealer and they say it makes a difference.... I sure havent seen the diffrence.... It is said to make the paint last longer in the long run and price wise I have no idea it was in a total package with lowjack and some other stuff.... I believe it is like 200 bucks at the dealer i went to.... if you are familiar with Performance Nissan in Duarte.... Great customer service there I will forever be a customer there :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,215 Posts
I don't think it is worth it - it's just a coat of wax. Another of those dealer add ons to jack up their profits.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
27 Posts
Waste of money

scr38 said:
I don't think it is worth it - it's just a coat of wax. Another of those dealer add ons to jack up their profits.
My brother has been in the auto body business for over 30 yrs. Paint sealant is just a fancy name for wax, and yes another dealer profit item.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,582 Posts
travs393 said:
i did it through the dealer and they say it makes a difference.... I sure havent seen the diffrence.... It is said to make the paint last longer in the long run and price wise I have no idea it was in a total package with lowjack and some other stuff.... I believe it is like 200 bucks at the dealer i went to.... if you are familiar with Performance Nissan in Duarte.... Great customer service there I will forever be a customer there :D
Here's another satisfied customer from Performance Nissan. Who was your salesman?

Keith
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
258 Posts
Paint sealant...not worth a damn. But mine was purchased with an interior protection plan that they'd fix stubborn stains. With three boys, this was key.

Back to the paint, the dealer gave me the classic line that I'd never need to wax. Yeah right. A good coat of wax on the truck does amazing things. Thank goodness for power buffers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
178 Posts
Armadaof1 said:
Paint sealant...not worth a damn. But mine was purchased with an interior protection plan that they'd fix stubborn stains. With three boys, this was key.

Back to the paint, the dealer gave me the classic line that I'd never need to wax. Yeah right. A good coat of wax on the truck does amazing things. Thank goodness for power buffers.
with a messy Lab and an unrefined 1 y.o. my fabric protection plan is called 'the darkest leather available" too bad our Maxima has the light grey leather interior (it's much darker now....in some spots)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
258 Posts
RKS...surprisingly our Volvo with beige leather has survived in tact with the boys and the two labs. Biggest saves are attributed to rubber floor mats and a cargo liner. No problems yet with a year on the Armada's steel interior.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
68 Posts
I own a cleaning company, and we do paint sealant on aircraft (among other things). The product I use is called Color Finishes, but it's extremely difficult to find. I'll see if I can get some extra product for Club Armada members, e-mail me if you're interested.

The key to paint sealant is to CLEAN the paint first. There are lots of products out there that do this. A two-step process is the best way to go about it. The first step will remove contaminants from the paint. Use a product that contains diatamatious earth - it is non abrasive yet strong enough to get just about anything out of the paint - including light to medium scratches. Use an ORBITAL BUFFER ONLY!!! Circular buffers, regardless of what they say, WILL CAUSE SWIRLMARKS!!! Oribitals will remove swirl marks. Scuff marks, paint rubs and most scratches will come off in this process.

The second step is to seal the paint. Use a sealant that contains an acrylic resin formula (it will look and smell similar to a normal car polish). Some of these products are enriched with DuPont Teflon. Don't be fooled - you will NOT be leaving a coat of Teflon on your vehicle. Teflon particles catch the contaminants and leftover resin so they can be removed during the final polish. It's a common gimmick, and works wonders on TV ads. :p

After the final polish, all product is removed using dry terry towels and orbital buffers. This finish will last a long time. Since it does not contain wax, which melts at 80 degrees, the finish will withstand extreme temps, weather, etc for up to a year or two. Now that's not to say that the finish will not need attention during that time - it helps to keep it clean, and you can wax on top of this coating if you'd like. One thing that WILL take this finish off is a strong soap, so be careful where you wash it. Any degreaser or solvent will remove the polish, and you're right back where you started.

I've been doing paint protection for about six years now, and I can tell you that this process definately works. What sucks is when the dealer bills you $300 for paint protection, and they hand a bottle of this stuff to some 16 year old in their cleanup bay - and he doesn't apply it correctly. You can get these products for less than $50, and buy a $30 orbital buffer from Wal-Mart that will do the job just fine. Or, you can drive your Armada to me and I'll do it for $250! :D

Hope this helps. If you have any questions you can e-mail me at [email protected]

Drew
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top