Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
08 Nissan Armada SE
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, so I'll start by saying I absolutely hate aluminum alloy factory wheels. UNFORTUNATELY I can't afford to put a grand or more into wheels/ rims (however you want to call them) . So while messing around on YouTube one day learning how to fix rock chips I came across people painting their wheels. Well I can tell you I was definitely nervous to do this because once you hit your wheels with that first sheet of sand paper there is NOOOOO turning back. So after watching many videos for many weeks I decided to pull the trigger 馃お馃憤. So yes this is a process and I'll put a materials list and instructions at the end. So the one thing I struggled with was weather to black out the hub covers or leave them factory. I chose to leave them because I do have chrome accents on my Armada (see pics) . Also I can paint them later if I choose to. So I'd love to get some opinions. Paint or leave ????
What you will need :
400 grit wet/dry sandpaper
Rustoleum self leveling primer
Duplicolor black wheel paint (I got gloss) you can get flat or Satin
And Duplicolor top coat .
I got 4 cans of each paint just to be sure I had enough.
I did my wheels 2 at a time just because I had no way to keep more than 2 tires off the ground at a time.
To start you will need to clean the heck out of your wheels tires everything . I used a heavy duty cleaner from Chemical guys and soap and water. Next you will need to wet sand just to get past the factory clear coat . If you have any minor curb rash or chipping around the edges of the factory paint you can use a heavier grit to level down just those areas then move to the 400 grit. Next clean with soap and water again to get rid of all the crud you just made. Now you want to dry everything well especially the lip between tire & rim. Now hit your rim with some 70% rubbing alcohol. OK getting closer to paint 馃憦馃憦馃槂. Now tape and newspaper your tire off. If possible the painting needs to be done in a garage with the door open and fans blowing outwards. This is some very caustic paint (WEAR A MASK!!!!!) . ok it's time to start your primer. First coat needs to be a thin light dusting (you will do 5 to 10 minutes between coats depending on temp and humidity your working in) next coat will be medium to wet . 3rd and final primer coat will be heavier full wet coat without overdoing & getting drips. This coat let dry for 20 minutes. Color time !!!! Your going to do 3 to 4 coats 10 mins in between each. First coat light to medium dusting hitting all areas. Next coat medium wet hitting all areas. Next medium wet again. Final coat full wet but not so wet you get drips . BTW this paint is pretty forgiving I did have a few drips that seemed to just level themselves out. BTW you also want to make sure to try and keep the spray can at least 8 inches away from surfaces while painting. This can make it difficult to get all the nooks and crannies just do your best. Once you get your final color coat give just the 10 minutes before doing clear. You are going to do 3 to 4 coats again in the same way you did the color coats. Note the instructions on the Duplicolor paint . You want to get your Duplicolor coats on in the hour time frame on the can. I gave my wheels 8 hrs before I put them back on but the longer you have to let the paint cure the better
I'm sorry this is so long but I noticed when people post what they have done to their Armadas the first thing everyone wants to know is about the process. I ALSO WANT TO MAKE VERY CLEAR I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL SO DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK . I had great results and I suggest you watch as many YouTube videos as possible. My Armada is in the shop getting a radiator so I didn't have any pictures except the up close ones after paint.
Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Locking hubs
Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Vehicle

Attachments

Registered
08 Nissan Armada SE
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
And I absolutely abhor black wheels. Looks ghetto to me.

To each his

To each his own.

I'm not exactly sure what ghetto would include can you please define ghetto. I'm a little older so I'm not real clear on the lingo. Thank you

BTW I am actually trying to get opinions on wheather or not to leave the center cap factory or to paint it black . Not really looking for opinion on the actual black wheels but thanks for joining in anyway crazy4trains

Registered
Maryland, USA
I think the silver caps would look good, there's enough silver/chrome bits on the truck to complement the caps. also, its a contrast to the black wheel. I like black wheels alot personally, and I would suppose others do as well. If your not sure about the silver vs black centers then I'd put the wheels on and just temporarily cover the silver caps with black duct tape trimmed well on the cap. Then stand back and see if you like it or not. Nice job on the painting BTW!

Registered
08 Nissan Armada SE
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thankx for your input Intubator . That's a great idea with the black tape . I may just do that when I get it back from the shop. I also found black rubber caps on Amazon that I can put over the lugs if I decide to go with all black. And thank you for the compliment I did work hard to get the paint right. Some tense moments for sure .

Registered
2021 Nissan Armada SL RWD

To each his own.
My father in law says the same thing...but I like'em. I did this same thing to an old Jeep Cherokee I had. And you're right, once you start, you gotta finish. Would like to see a wide shot of the truck with the newly outfitted DIY black wheels. Well done!

Registered
Maryland, USA
Yeah, send us some pics with the wheels on when you get a chance!

Registered
08 Nissan Armada SE
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My father in law says the same thing...but I like'em. I did this same thing to an old Jeep Cherokee I had. And you're right, once you start, you gotta finish. Would like to see a wide shot of the truck with the newly outfitted DIY black wheels. Well done!
Thankx , I just got it back yesterday and of course they had it outside in the weather so the truck and wheels are filthy. Once I give it a good bath I'll take some pics . Probably later today .

Registered
Hi Everyone, so I'll start by saying I absolutely hate aluminum alloy factory wheels. UNFORTUNATELY I can't afford to put a grand or more into wheels/ rims (however you want to call them) . So while messing around on YouTube one day learning how to fix rock chips I came across people painting their wheels. Well I can tell you I was definitely nervous to do this because once you hit your wheels with that first sheet of sand paper there is NOOOOO turning back. So after watching many videos for many weeks I decided to pull the trigger 馃お馃憤. So yes this is a process and I'll put a materials list and instructions at the end. So the one thing I struggled with was weather to black out the hub covers or leave them factory. I chose to leave them because I do have chrome accents on my Armada (see pics) . Also I can paint them later if I choose to. So I'd love to get some opinions. Paint or leave ????
What you will need :
I did my wheels 2 at a time just because I had no way to keep more than 2 tires off the ground at a time.
To start you will need to clean the heck out of your wheels tires everything . I used a heavy duty cleaner from Chemical guys and soap and water. Next you will need to wet sand just to get past the factory clear coat . If you have any minor curb rash or chipping around the edges of the factory paint you can use a heavier grit to level down just those areas then move to the 400 grit. Next clean with soap and water again to get rid of all the crud you just made. Now you want to dry everything well especially the lip between tire & rim. Now hit your rim with some 70% rubbing alcohol. OK getting closer to paint 馃憦馃憦馃槂. Now tape and newspaper your tire off. If possible the painting needs to be done in a garage with the door open and fans blowing outwards. This is some very caustic paint (WEAR A MASK!!!!!) . ok it's time to start your primer. First coat needs to be a thin light dusting (you will do 5 to 10 minutes between coats depending on temp and humidity your working in) next coat will be medium to wet . 3rd and final primer coat will be heavier full wet coat without overdoing & getting drips. This coat let dry for 20 minutes. Color time !!!! Your going to do 3 to 4 coats 10 mins in between each. First coat light to medium dusting hitting all areas. Next coat medium wet hitting all areas. Next medium wet again. Final coat full wet but not so wet you get drips . BTW this paint is pretty forgiving I did have a few drips that seemed to just level themselves out. BTW you also want to make sure to try and keep the spray can at least 8 inches away from surfaces while painting. This can make it difficult to get all the nooks and crannies just do your best. Once you get your final color coat give just the 10 minutes before doing clear. You are going to do 3 to 4 coats again in the same way you did the color coats. Note the instructions on the Duplicolor paint . You want to get your Duplicolor coats on in the hour time frame on the can. I gave my wheels 8 hrs before I put them back on but the longer you have to let the paint cure the better
I'm sorry this is so long but I noticed when people post what they have done to their Armadas the first thing everyone wants to know is about the process. I ALSO WANT TO MAKE VERY CLEAR I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL SO DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK . I had great results and I suggest you watch as many YouTube videos as possible. My Armada is in the shop getting a radiator so I didn't have any pictures except the up close ones after paint. View attachment 50667 View attachment 50668 View attachment 50669
These look great!!!!! What truly matters is, that you like them! Don't let others deter you from what you like. We all have our own different styles.

But to answer your question, me personally would paint the center cap black & leave the emblem chrome. Just gives it a little more cleaner look, but even if you didn't paint it black it still looks good!

Registered
08 Nissan Armada SE
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These look great!!!!! What truly matters is, that you like them! Don't let others deter you from what you like. We all have our own different styles.

But to answer your question, me personally would paint the center cap black & leave the emblem chrome. Just gives it a little more cleaner look, but even if you didn't paint it black it still looks good!

Thank you , I'm definitely happier with them as opposed to the aluminum alloy . Would I like to have gotten some really nice wheels (well yes I suppose) but I am happy with the results. I agree I would like to keep the logo and do black around it but taping off that area then trying to sand in those tiny little edges I fear will prove very trying to say the least but agree it would probably look nice and clean if I can muster up the patience to do it. I also think if I do that I will definitely need to get the black caps for the lugs. Thankx for your positivity I appreciate it.

Registered
What you will need :
I'm sorry this is so long but I noticed when people post what they have done to their Armadas the first thing everyone wants to know is about the process. I ALSO WANT TO MAKE VERY CLEAR I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL SO DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK . I had great results and I suggest you watch as many YouTube videos as possible. My Armada is in the shop getting a radiator so I didn't have any pictures except the up close ones after paint. View attachment 50667 View attachment 50668 View attachment 50669
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Registered
Nice job. I was thinking of fixing my son's wheels that had the finish come off. It's a Mazda, but that type of OEM silver look is also a finish - not real aluminum - there's a name for it that I can't recall. Real aluminum corrodes easier, hence the switch.

Registered
08 Nissan Armada SE
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice job. I was thinking of fixing my son's wheels that had the finish come off. It's a Mazda, but that type of OEM silver look is also a finish - not real aluminum - there's a name for it that I can't recall. Real aluminum corrodes easier, hence the switch.
I think you should go for it . I found the results very gratifying. Duplicolor also has other colors other than black if black isn't your cup of tea. It's also my understanding from watching the YouTube videos you can use any color and type of spray paint as long as you use a good primer & top coat and of course proper prep. I don't know what your son's taste is but you could match the car color if he so wished. Just make sure you post some pics. If you do it. I still have to do that myself but it's been rainy and crummy here in Fl. everyday and my Mada is filthy so I'm waiting to get it clean before I put up pics. From a distance.

Registered
2021 Nissan Armada SL RWD
Reactions: marctronixx
1 - 20 of 23 Posts