Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, it's been a while eh?
i have a dilemma. i removed the running boards last week because i wanted to install a set of chrome nerf bars...but now, i am thinking i would rather have the above mentioned parts painted instead. never removed the cowl before, but is it safe to drive without it? i was going to drop off all the parts to have them painted.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts

Yeah, there's really nothing under the cowl that you have to worry about. Your windshield washer hoses will be laying free, that's about it. It comes off in 2 pieces. It just looks a little funky riding around without it.

I removed my cowl and painted it last week. Not difficult. The wiper arms gave me a problem until I figured out that after removing the nut on each one, pull the wiper arm so it is extending away from the windshield, then it slips off the splines easily. If you try to remove the arms with the blades against the windshield, it puts enough of an angle on the splines to keep those suckers locked in place.

On my '07, there are 2 black plastic pins that have to be removed at the bottom corners of the cowl. Next to come off is the rubber seal that runs the length of the bottom edge of the cowl. Easiest way to get these out is to reach under the edge of the cowl and push up with 2 fingers while grasping the top of the pin through the rubber seal and pulling up at the same time:

For the top edge, I guess there are 2 ways to get it off. The way I did it was to "pop" the 2 corner pins by prying up on the top corner of the cowl. From there, I pulled the cowl towards the engine compartment and it "slid" off the remaining pins. Once you have the cowl loose enough to get a hand under it, pull both hoses that go to the wiper fluid squirt heads. After the cowl was removed, then I removed the pins from their holes by gently prying them out with a screwdriver. You have to take them out and place them back into the cowl before installing. You can't "slide" the cowl back onto them, it would be too difficult.

The other way would be to try and pull up on the cowl at each pin location. That may work just as well, but I didn't try it. I didn't know where the pin locations were at the time. Be careful you don't snap any of those pins... you cannot buy them. My dealer told me if you need pins, you have to buy the cowl to get them.

The rubber seal on the top edge of the cowl that lays against the windshield is re-usable if you carefully take it off.

·
Premium Member
3,445 Posts
Don't forget the roof rack and engine cover while you're at it:

I need some new pics, these are all out dated...

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks all. i have the engine cover painted as i did it myself. next time i will try to sand first and then apply promoter and then paint and clear. i did it half a** and now the paint is chipping. no big deal being that its under the hood.

the roof rack, hmmm. can i take it off, or is it bolted on? i thought about it, but i didn't wanna leave it at the shop.

thansk again for the tips. i am still debating whether i should paint or just get a new set of nerf bars. my wife and kids use the running boards, so I know i want to have something there. the boards do deflect alot of dirt from running the sides...especially after it rains. so im leaning more that way.

i purchase a new set of westin nerf bars model 25-2580 from someone, but they were for a titan, not an armada. i realized after i removed the boards and tried to install the hardware first. doh! thankfully i have someone who is going to buy them from me, so that would pretty much cover the painting.

did you all have the running boards, cowl, splash guards sanded first or did they just apply the adhesion promoter first and then pain, c/c. i figure the roof rack would be easy to paint because the texture is smooth already.

·
Premium Member
3,445 Posts
You've got to properly prepare them! Use a god wax and grease remover, especially for the running boards and mud flaps, they have all kids of road grease and stuff all over them. Then sand them good with 200-300 grit sand paper, then promoter, color and clear. I always put extra clear on so if they don't come out shiney enough I can 2000 grit sand them and polish them to a good luster. A painter friend did most of my parts and I had a Harley guy do the flames on my engine cover. There is only 2 bolts per sid of the roof rack if I remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am picking up the parts listed this afternoon. I removed the step part of the boards prior. I was thinking of painting those as well. Ii purchase some bumper coating by duplicolor. Has anyone painted the step part of the running boards? I was thinking of doing an epoxy, or bedliner spray because if the abuse it will get. Your thoughts guys?

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
I am picking up the parts listed this afternoon. I removed the step part of the boards prior. I was thinking of painting those as well. Ii purchase some bumper coating by duplicolor. Has anyone painted the step part of the running boards? I was thinking of doing an epoxy, or bedliner spray because if the abuse it will get. Your thoughts guys?
You mean the "step part" as being the rubber insert that you step on? I don't know that I would try to paint that simply because it probably has some flex to it under weight. I think that would cause even the best paint to start cracking/peeling after enough times of being stepped on.

If it is a rigid plastic instead of a flexing rubber piece, then maybe. But then I would go with an epoxy over the bedliner. The epoxy will be more durable.
The bedliner would also require several good coats of clear coat to give it some smoothness, otherwise it will be difficult to wash and will tear up a sponge.

I've painted a fair amount of plastic body parts with bedliner, but never anything that had to endure a lot of contact from boots/shoes/high heels, etc.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Any updates on the parts that you got painted. I would love to see some pictures.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, the painted parts did not turn out the way I liked, so i decided to just keep the cowl/mud flaps. The painter did not match the galaxy black...its more of a matte black...and its kinda growing on me :)

I decided to leave the running boards off. I will try to take pics and post shortly.

·
Premium Member
2012 Nissan Armada SL
420 Posts
Decided to go ahead and do some work on my running boards too:

Used Rust-Oleum Custom Gloss Black Metallic and Custom Gloss Clear on the boards:

And I used Rust-Oleum Pro Bedliner Spray on the steps themselves:

Got the back too, and let me tell you getting that little one off is a real PITA:

Went ahead and did the Mud Guards too:

Before:

After:

I was going to do the Running Board Supports in Bedliner, but after my second can of the stuff began to run low (stuff comes out fast!) I went with the Gloss Black Metallic instead:

I have to say that I love the Armada without Running Boards or Mud Guards, but the 3 Women in my life (Mom, Pregnant Wife, 4-year-old Daughter) have all vetoed that Idea.

I'll post the finished results when it's done.

Also repainted the cowling and wiper arms:

Before:

After:

Here's the finished product:

It's certainly nothing radical and it would probably be hard for a even an Armada owner to notice it, but I think it was worth the effort. I certainly learned a great deal about how to and how NOT to remove the factory running boards.

Reactions: gtech215

·
Registered
76 Posts
Very nice, I am thinking of doing the same thing to my running boards and rear bumper plastics. Just how hard is it to get that off the rear bumper?

Reactions: 49RFootballNow

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Nice. I took mine off my ‘04 a long time ago. Still have them in storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 49RFootballNow

·
Premium Member
2012 Nissan Armada SL
420 Posts
Very nice, I am thinking of doing the same thing to my running boards and rear bumper plastics. Just how hard is it to get that off the rear bumper?
For the smaller insert you probably can take off the rear bumper cover and then its just 2 screws, 2 horizontal plastic clips and 3 vertical plastic clips.

I just unbolted the screws and pulled up to loosen the horizontal clips. Then I used a plastic trim tool to pry one side free slowly. In the end I wound up on my ass after pulling full force to get it off and broke one of the vertical clips in the process.

The bigger piece is easy. 15 horizontal clips came off with a plastic trim tool.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: gtech215

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
For the smaller insert you probably can take off the rear bumper cover and then its just 2 screws, 2 horizontal plastic clips and 3 vertical plastic clips.

I just unbolted the screws and pulled up to loosen the horizontal clips. Then I used a plastic trim tool to pry one side free slowly. In the end I wound up on my ass after pulling full force to get it off and broke one of the vertical clips in the process.

The bigger piece is easy. 15 horizontal clips came off with a plastic trim tool.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I'm a visual person. Do you have any pictures of how the two rear bumper pieces come off? I don't quite follow your explanation.

·
Premium Member
2012 Nissan Armada SL
420 Posts
Sorry, I didn't take any pictures. The largest piece is the easiest. You basically just pull up on it.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Hey @49RFootballNow - Can you update on how this is holding up? I did the same pieces in bedliner and it has faded/pealed badly. This is next on my list - I'm not sure if I want to go with bedliner but I do not feel I have much choice due to the texture which will still remain?

If I do, I want to use a UV clear coat like 2k Clear to protect the parts but I am worried about the running boards becoming slippery.

Any updates on durability of your install and any advice?

·
Premium Member
2012 Nissan Armada SL
420 Posts
So far no issues to report. No fading or peeling. I did use heavy duty spray bedliner. That may be the difference.

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
So far no issues to report. No fading or peeling. I did use heavy duty spray bedliner. That may be the difference.
Thanks - I used the regular stuff. In doing more research it seems that Dupicolor is preferred.

The regular stuff I used looked awesome at first but other than the steps I regret getting a texture as it attracts dirt and is hard to wash.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts