Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize up front as I suspect this is going to be a long post....

Since May of 04 I have been trying to get Nissan/dealership to fix my passenger seat airbag sensor. My "smart airbag system" has a IQ of a retard. My wife of 110lbs does not activate the airbag sensor. I have told them everytime that I go in that this is a concern and in return I get a canned "operating within specification". In December I took my wife with me when we the Armada dropped off for a list of repairs and at that time they had another Armada in the shop which she sat in and the passenger airbag light went off. The writter admitted that mine is not operating like this. Later that evening they say we need to sit in 3 total to confirm...I play their game and we go back to pick up the armada (since they have to order about a dozen parts for the interior) and we sit in 2 more. ALL 3 WORKED AS I WOULD EXPECT in that within 1-3 seconds the light turned off.

Well after a month the parts are in and they say they haven't heard from Nissan what to do with the airbag issue. I call Nissan again and ask them, they say they will follow up again with the dealership. This was last week...about 4 days later I hear that they want us to sit in 3 more????WTF...I guess since they had not written down the VIN of the 3 we sat in it did not count! So now they can't find 3 04's for us to retest so it's another 3 days while we wait to hear what next on this issue...

The dealership calls this morning and says they had a small female that says she in the 115lb range sit in two 04's and one 05'. She turned off the light on one 04 and not on the other two so in their mind mine is normal and it is just at that threshold.????

Well after doing a lot of searching I was able to find a post on TT where someone had a copy of an early 04 Titan web page that states a weight of less than 47lbs will not activate the airbag. Within a short period after the poster was having the same problem getting Nissan to acknowledge the issue they changed the web page and removed any references to specific weights....I did a search for the verbage in the origional web page and found that on the Canadian Nissan web site the verbage still exist which I am attaching so that there is proof when it magically disappears as well ;)

I'm at a lost on what to do next. So far after an inital bad experience with the dealership they have not hesitated to address and repair things I have brought to them (though their quality has been lacking a few times resulting in return visits). This wouldn't be such a big deal and I may of bought the "within specs" had it not been for our initial test which all 3 worked, and then all the supporting information that I have found. Another reference that I could not verify was the salesman manual for the Armada that supposedly on page 51 states the airbag is turned on over 60lbs at a reduced setting and fully on over 102lbs.

Here is a thread that someone else started and the nightmare he went through. I don't want to take it to this level, I just want it fixed. I wonder if they are afraid to start a precedence by acknowledging the problem and being faced with a recall like the Quest had on its passenger airbag (which I believe was for the exact same problem my Armada has)

Anyone have any suggestions? (and not just having my wife "bulk up" either :D ) . If there is a Nissan insider who can shed some light and pass along any documented information that confirms what weight should activate the airbag I would appreciate....I will hold you identity in confidence if wished.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
I was talking to one of my neighbors about the problem with the airbag sensor in the passenger seat. To my surprise he was very familiar with the sensor. It turns out the sensor is produced at one of the facilities where he is the QC manager. He thought the sensor was initially set to trip at 57 lbs. If it was not tripping at that weight it either needed to be recalibrated or replaced. The sensor is produced by Dephi in Reynosa, Mexico.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the additional info. I jives with the 60lb weight I've heard numerous places. Can you verify is there is a two stage sensor? What I've read is below 60lbs it's off 60 to 102 on but at a reduces deployment rate and above 102 full on.

I called Nissan and told them either fix the seat so it detects my wife or give me a letter that I can publish on the internet and local media stating that the airbag is not designed to detect a 110lb passenger. The rep said he was taking my info up to his supervisors to see what they want to do.

It seems to me that neither the dealership or the Nissan techs know what the design specs are for these?

Thanks again for the tip....I use to travel to Mission once or twice a month and then go across the border and pick up some quality tequila while I waited for my return flight. :) I think it is Reynosa that is just down the road from the Mission airport too.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
adjmcloon said:
Ahh...Reynosa.
I learned that not all tequila is created equal :eek:. I never imagined that you can actually drink it as as after dinner drink..and not as a shot either :D ...

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only took a year but Nissan finally admitted that my airbag sensor is defective and are replacing the passenger seat module.

Yahoo!!!! now my only concern is what will they break/damage replacing this part?

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Only took a year but Nissan finally admitted that my airbag sensor is defective and are replacing the passenger seat module.

Yahoo!!!! now my only concern is what will they break/damage replacing this part?
Now that's 9 years later :) how's it working? When ever my son sits in the passenger seat, about half the time, the airbag light starts to flash. Then I have to reset it. Just wondering if yours was fixed?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now that's 9 years later :) how's it working? When ever my son sits in the passenger seat, about half the time, the airbag light starts to flash. Then I have to reset it. Just wondering if yours was fixed?

Thanks
It's still working.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. So you happen to have the part#? Where does it go?
I don't. I think they replaced the seat cushion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts