Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought this off a person who intended to fix it up. Picked it up for $400.00.I believe it's a SE with 4wd.
I don't know much about these vehicles,pretty much owned Maxima's my whole life. Been on Maxima.org for 20 years.

Don't know the story ,it was just in a front end accident.

I almost have all the bad stuff off. Side rails are a little bent in. And power steering system is leaking and spraying fluid everywhere.
After taking oil cooler off(damaged in accident,or i thought it was)because it would't stop leaking. I had a ball bearing fall out. That's when i discovered the relief valve.I think the leak was just the gasket. So there's oil and power steering fluid everywhere.

I have some pictures, only had it for a month or so. I'll have to get better pictures.

I am buying parts now . I know about the radiator problem and the relief valve problem.
Anything you guys do to these vehicles, or the such, i should know about?
Like what radiator to buy? I heard the stillen one leaks after a couple years.

IMG_4368-1.jpg

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I was actually going to suggest this power steering hose setup by Sunsong. I used it on my Armada that was leaking PS fluid. It's a little bit cheaper than the ebay one, but it is 3rd-party instead of OEM. But the original lasted for 10 years before it started leaking, so hopefully this will last plenty long for me.

I don't have any experience replacing my radiator because the dealer did it under an extended warranty, so it is an OEM.

While you do have everything off, you may want to look into checking and/or replacing the exhaust manifolds. They're notorious for developing exhaust leaks around 100K miles.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh WOW...there not cast iron like other Nissan? Never heard of an exhaust manifold going bad. This has 179k on it,and i started it for a few minutes,without the radiator and runs good.

Do they make any aftermarket exhaust manifolds?What are you using?

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I didn't dig into it too much. I'm not sure exactly what goes wrong with them. When we first bought it, I realized it had an exhaust leak, so I told the dealer and they fixed it under an extended warranty with OEM stuff (I got way more repaired with that warranty than what I paid for it... it was the best investment in this vehicle). It wasn't until I started participating on the forum that I found exhaust leaks with the manifolds were pretty common. You can find a lot of topics on it through this google search. I don't know if they have aftermarket ones that don't require a tune.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the oil pressure relief valve that goes on Titans and Armadas.

This is right when you take the Oil cooler off,the ball bearing in the valve tends to fall out. It's in the lower oil pan ,right where the oil cooler attaches.

It can be changed without taking the oil pan off. So far i have it out and i have the new part. The hard part is getting it out.
I used a 10x1.25 tap. I threaded it in with a wrench ,until it stopped. I used a 10 x 1.25 75MM bolt from home depot. But i would go with a 85-90 MM bolt if i did it again. Then i just beat it with a chisel,it's like a 10-12 inch long one. I used a 2 lb mini sledge,from harbor freight.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Great thread - you are doing more than most of us have to but odds are someone has probably done some of this before and can help you out.

Here is a link to a video that shows where the exhaust headers usually crack and leak. You can see the stock mounting flange has a intentional split in it and that is where the tube often splits too. That is where you want to inspect if you can.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks you that gives me an idea. Wonder if i can go in with my welder ,and weld that flange a little to give it strength.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I didn't want to hit it in on the ball area. And i didn't have a deep socket small enough. But i used a flat head and that's a bad choice. Has to be a deep socket,where you see it ,it stops. I tried getting in further in ,and it wasn't going any further. I should have stopped when it felt like it was in. But i switched to the screwdriver and it didn't go anymore. And thus you see the damage it did.

the ball goes in and out fine though.So i think it's fine.

The damage you see on the oil cooler mounting surface,is from vise grips. Somewhere i seen someone used these to get the valve out. They bumped the surface. Have to use some rtv gray along with the new gasket.

It's a 4 lb not a two.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Csf makes a very high quality radiator, that is all aluminum and addressed the trans cooler cracking issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Csf makes a very high quality radiator, that is all aluminum and addressed the trans cooler cracking issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thanks but it doesn't appear ,it has the mounts for the stock Trans cooler. And at $349 it's a little pricey . But it looks good.

I might take a Chance on the stillen one. But no matter what,i will not hook the trans to the radiator. Before the accident the former owner changed the trans,because the radiator killed it. And he used a external trans cooler.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Bought this off a person who intended to fix it up. Picked it up for $400.00.I believe it's a SE with 4wd.
I don't know much about these vehicles,pretty much owned Maxima's my whole life. Been on Maxima.org for 20 years.

Don't know the story ,it was just in a front end accident.

I almost have all the bad stuff off. Side rails are a little bent in. And power steering system is leaking and spraying fluid everywhere.
After taking oil cooler off(damaged in accident,or i thought it was)because it would't stop leaking. I had a ball bearing fall out. That's when i discovered the relief valve.I think the leak was just the gasket. So there's oil and power steering fluid everywhere.

I have some pictures, only had it for a month or so. I'll have to get better pictures.

I am buying parts now . I know about the radiator problem and the relief valve problem.
Anything you guys do to these vehicles, or the such, i should know about?
Like what radiator to buy? I heard the stillen one leaks after a couple years.
View attachment 48013
View attachment 48013 View attachment 48014 View attachment 48015 View attachment 48016 View attachment 48017 View attachment 48018
Hello, I have done extensive repair to my armada in the past due to a front end collision. I suggest finding the own part numbers for each part you are are needing and doing an amazon search. Nissan likes to update part numbers often and sometime you can find a generic match off an old part number that wouldn’t normally show up. I bought my radiator off amazon years ago. One suggestion that cost me a fan blade and a second radiator is be certain to verify the mounting post/bracket for the clutch fan is not bent the slightest amount. Otherwise, your plastic fan blades will weaken and break free from the hub at high rpms and become shrapnel that will impale and destroy your radiator.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Also electronics, fuel injectors, etc can be found on aliexpress for pennies on the dollar that you would pay in the states. The draw back is sometimes it can take a month to get the part from overseas. Example, I believe I paid around $14 for a clock spring.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also electronics, fuel injectors, etc can be found on aliexpress for pennies on the dollar that you would pay in the states. The draw back is sometimes it can take a month to get the part from overseas. Example, I believe I paid around $14 for a clock spring.
Great tips thanks!

I recently picked up a fan and clutch from the junk yard. I'll test it on the motor before i put the radiator in. I may need to buy the piece that it bolts to, because the clutch was bent bad from the accident.

Also i have never heard of aliexpress. Is it safe to buy from? Should i replace the fuel rail and injectors?

Also the motor mounts have you ever replaced them?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Almost done cleaning up front engine bay. Once i get the oil cooler back on ,i will start it and get it in my garage. There i will change motor mounts and probably take a look at the exhaust manifolds.And also take off the intake manifold.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK picked up some coolant parts and a AC condenser fan. Fan and bumper brackets are aftermarket.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts