Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New armada, and they told me they do not know the problem. pinging noise from passenger side, every time i am on the gas at normal driving speeds. sounds like it comes from the glove box, untill I rode in the passengers side. It is really coming from the engine. Sounds like gas pings, when you use cheap gas. But I use nothing but the best grade for this beast. need Help!!!

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
If you don't get much help in here yet its because we are a new site. If you need more help on engine issues you can come to our sister site www.clubtitan.org and get help there also. Seeing as they are the same engine.
M4ck

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
AndyCabral said:
New armada, and they told me they do not know the problem. pinging noise from passenger side, every time i am on the gas at normal driving speeds. sounds like it comes from the glove box, untill I rode in the passengers side. It is really coming from the engine. Sounds like gas pings, when you use cheap gas. But I use nothing but the best grade for this beast. need Help!!!
I read on another forum where Titan's were having a pinging sound that matched the rpm. They tracked it down to the sparkplugs not being torqued correctly on some of them.

Another possible cause for the noise maybe an exhaust leak from the manifold.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Just a thought...Another sound that is common to hear from the passenger seat is the air compressor that runs the self-leveling suspension. Not so much a pinging but if you aren't sure what it is, it doesn't sound normal either.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
might try this as well

AndyCabral said:
thanks, i will that and let you guys know what happened.
If you weren't able to fix your ping sound with the above try taking a heavy gauge wire and grounding the engine block to the battery neg. I read on another forum someone who had it done with success.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Has anyone considered that that might be a part of our "drive by wire" system?

There is no direct mechanical connection between our acceletator pedal and the throttle mechanism on our engine intake. It is done electronically, based on position sensors and other electronics and the movement is controlled by servos. These systems can produce noises.

My engine has done this since day one, and at 15,000 miles it performs flawlessly. I've tried to pinpoint the sound under the hood and really can't do so. It is clearly not engine pinging. Nor are any of the plugs loose or anything like that. I'm not sure, but I tend to think it is inherent in the drive by wire system. Given how well the truck works, I'm not inclined to worry about it, and certainly don't want a Nissan mechanic trying to trouble shoot it unless there is some reliable data out there that this is harmful.

Does anyone know how the drive by wire system works and whether it is the producer of this sound?

·
Administrator
5,215 Posts
The drive by wire system isn't causing the noise. In most cases the problem has been solved by adding a ground wire. There have been several posts on Club Titan about this. Look here: http://www.clubtitan.org/postlite432-tick.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
scr38
Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
Club Armada is the premier Nissan Armada forum! Here you can discuss and review your favorite SUV with fellow owners.
Full Forum Listing