Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am having an issue with my Bluetooth and phone functions on my 2012 QX56. Both functions were working fine until one day I can’t access either function. When I go into settings the Bluetooth and phone option are there but they are grayed out. see pic So I can even select them to re-pair my phone. How can I reset the stereo or cure this? Please help!

·
Super Moderator
6,014 Posts
did you buy the car new or is it used? does it have any electrical modifications on it (3rd party stereo components, extra dvd screens, dvd bypass mod to allow the front screen to show a video whilst the car is driving...)

the bluetooth devices you had connected to the stereo -- do they still connect to it at all?

did you remove the battery power? this may reset all your radio presets and seat memory functions but may be something you might need to do.

i had a 2012 qx and never saw this issue so its a new one...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is you vehicle in park while trying to access these? My 2012 grays these out while moving to reenforce the "hands free" while driving.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
did you buy the car new or is it used? does it have any electrical modifications on it (3rd party stereo components, extra dvd screens, dvd bypass mod to allow the front screen to show a video whilst the car is driving...)

the bluetooth devices you had connected to the stereo -- do they still connect to it at all?

did you remove the battery power? this may reset all your radio presets and seat memory functions but may be something you might need to do.

i had a 2012 qx and never saw this issue so its a new one...
I bought used but everything is original. My phone does NOT connect at all. I can’t even highlight the option to try and te-pair the phone. Unplugging the battery for a full reset is on my radar but I wanted to see if there was another solution first.

Is you vehicle in park while trying to access these? My 2012 grays these out while moving to reenforce the "hands free" while driving.
Yes, in park and parking brake activated. It would gray out while driving when everything was working and then it greyes out permanently.

·
Super Moderator
6,014 Posts
you say everything is original, but since its used i have to ask more detail..

so when did you get it? and has this issue happened since day one? what is the mileage? have you asked the previous owner if they modified anything? if you got it form the dealer and you are under the grace period, reach out to them as well.

do you have the maintenance records on the car? maybe something was removed or disabled.

does the map work correctly? meaning does it move normally on the screen when the car is in motion?

can you use voice commands normally ?

there is no "factory reset" function on the car. you can reset to defaults in the screen but the phone/bluetooth devices will still remain.

do you have a DTC/trouble code lamp? probably not, but want to make sure you dont have any other issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
got it form the dealer and you are under the grace period, reach out to them as well.

do you have the maintenance records on the car? maybe something was removed or disabled.
you say everything is original, but since its used i have to ask more detail..

so when did you get it? and has this issue happened since day one? what is the mileage? have you asked the previous owner if they modified anything? if you got it form the dealer and you are under the grace period, reach out to them as well.

does the map work correctly? meaning does it move normally on the screen when the car is in motion?

can you use voice commands normally ?

there is no "factory reset" function on the car. you can reset to defaults in the screen but the phone/bluetooth devices will still remain.

do you have a DTC/trouble code lamp? probably not, but want to make sure you dont have any other issues.
I bought the vehicle in December if 2020 with 82k. Bought it at a small car lot. It was a one owner vehicle and the previous owner was an older lady and she provided extensive maintenance records but there is nothing in there regarding this issue.

everything worked great from the time I bought it. My kids could sync their devices no problem and the phone worked great. The usb connectorfor the media located in the center console had disconnected and fell into the console, it was like that when purchased. I fished it out and connected my phone via Ian instead of BT. My kids could still sync their devices up though and everything worked for a while. Then all of a sudden the phone and BT settings went grey and I can’t use them. USB still worked though but my phone won’t sync only the music. There is no warranty and no code lamp. I am at a loss. My closest Infiniti dealer is over an hour away. We have a Nissan dealer nearby though.

·
Super Moderator
6,014 Posts
thanks for the details!

this sounds more like a physical issue. maybe the usb port falling out might have damaged something. im not sure now that removing the power would do anything...

does your music player/HDD work properly? and yeah can you still use voice commands with the car?

EDIT:

I attached the troubleshooting procedure for the Qx. This will show you how to get into the DIAG test procedure for the AV unit.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU ARE IN THIS MODE!!!

you can mess up settings and cause your birds eye view to get misaligned if you alter any setting related to that so be careful.

There is an AV test section that you can access. this may let you know if the bluetooth module is damage/faulty.

if it is, the entire AV unit will have to be replaced.

you may also have a GYRO sensor issue. i say this because if the car "thinks" its in motion, you can not access those controls. that is a rare thing but worth a mention...

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the details!

this sounds more like a physical issue. maybe the usb port falling out might have damaged something. im not sure now that removing the power would do anything...

does your music player/HDD work properly? and yeah can you still use voice commands with the car?

EDIT:

I attached the troubleshooting procedure for the Qx. This will show you how to get into the DIAG test procedure for the AV unit.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU ARE IN THIS MODE!!!

you can mess up settings and cause your birds eye view to get misaligned if you alter any setting related to that so be careful.

There is an AV test section that you can access. this may let you know if the bluetooth module is damage/faulty.

if it is, the entire AV unit will have to be replaced.

you may also have a GYRO sensor issue. i say this because if the car "thinks" its in motion, you can not access those controls. that is a rare thing but worth a mention...
Wow 🤩 thank you for all your help and advice. I will run the diagnosis and see if anything comes up. The voice commands and all music modes other than BT seem to work fine. I will post what I find out. Once again thank you for taking the time to help!

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
You should have the Bluetooth module/box under the passenger front seat. Make sure your plugs are still connected and tight, soemtimes they get knocked loose by things rolling around on the floor

1 - 9 of 9 Posts