Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've got the Conti's that came as OEM on my 04 LE. Tires have about 20k on them and are getting close to needing replacement all around (been rotated every 5k, wear is even all around). I like the Conti's except 20k really stinks and they dont look that great. Can anyone recommend another tire that will ride better/quieter, possibly last longer, and also important, have a more agressive look to them? I also don't know too much about tire sizes in general, can I change the size of the tire; eg wider, lower sidewall, higher sidewall etc on the same rim? Sorry if these questions sound dumb to the experts out there, any recommendations you can make would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
It seems like everyone loves Michelin Cross Terrains.
I was going to get those, but the Infiniti dealer sold me 4 brand new stock tires for $200 out the door.
You can about 1.5 Cross Terrains for that much.
But I do hate the tires though......

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
andy, that's right. Everyone likes the Cross Terrain including I am, a big fan of Michelin. But not Consumer Reports, they don't and only if you believe them. They rated Goodyear Fortera HL Edition # 1, Uniroyal Cross Country #9, and Michelin Cross Terrain #19, and ContiTrack #20 out of 22. So Michelin Cross Terrain is pretty much at the bottom. I have the copy, but can't post the rating, copy right protected.

But they rated the Armada #2 over all large SUV category just behind the Land Cruiser and above the Sequoia.

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
That just proves that Consumer Reports testers don't know what they are talking about most of the time.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
scr38 said:
That just proves that Consumer Reports testers don't know what they are talking about most of the time.
I couldn't agree more. Most of the time, I'm against their ratings. They seem to always lock on Honda and Toyota when it comes to rating.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
The tire ratings are helpful but the problem is most of them don't offer the size to fit. I've only seen our OEM size from Michelin, Conti, and ???

I hope more choices become available in the next year.

I've got 2 sets(8 of 'em) of the stock Conti's now and they all have bulges on the sidewalls and look like they are going to explode anytime. I looked at some Cross Terrain and they look to be much better quality.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I have a set of Michelin LTX M/S 31'' tires for my pick up since 2000, and they have 60,000 miles on them. The treads are still good and could go 10,000 more miles. There is no crack on the side wall. I would also put these on the Armada, but they do not have the size.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
If you want high mileage, consider Michelins

We put 65,000 miles on a set of Michelin LTX M&S on our Suburban (heavy beast), and they still had tread left on them. Stock, you will have to search for Michelins, but there HAS been a report on this board, of someone who found the cross terrains in stock size. I am personally saving up for 20inch rims, many more (good) tires options in that size. Will just grind down the conti's till that time.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
rattanak said:
andy, that's right. Everyone likes the Cross Terrain including I am, a big fan of Michelin. But not Consumer Reports, they don't and only if you believe them. They rated Goodyear Fortera HL Edition # 1, Uniroyal Cross Country #9, and Michelin Cross Terrain #19, and ContiTrack #20 out of 22. So Michelin Cross Terrain is pretty much at the bottom. I have the copy, but can't post the rating, copy right protected.

But they rated the Armada #2 over all large SUV category just behind the Land Cruiser and above the Sequoia.
I've never seen a consumer reports article that accruately rated products. Bottomline, they suck. Sometimes you can read their artilcles for a good laugh. I've seen them rave about a car because it had more cup holders than another brand.

If you want a good rating system for tires, use the tirerack's surveys. These are ratings provided by owners. Also, they have reviews by owners and scientific test reviews they conduct themselves.

That being said, Michelin is the best available in the stock 265-70-18 size. Also, Michelin has some of the best tires on the market: Pilot Sports and LTX series are tough to beat in their categories. The only thing I don't like about them is they are French. Unfortunately, the Michelin isn't what I wanted. The cross terrains are better than the conti or GY models in our size, but not nearly as good as a topline tire like their LTX A/T or LTX M/S.

Next would be the BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A in 285/65/18. These will fit the stock rim, have the same outer diameter, and are wider and more aggressive. If I was going to stick with the stock rims, this is what I would get. Last you can upgrade. I love my combo. Better in every way than stock. Good luck.

Hers's some real tire reviews:
All Terrain: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT
All Season Highway(wussy): http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HAS

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
92TrippleBlack

I'm glad that I am not the only one against CR when it comes to vehicle ratings. But I like the reliability survey. I couldn't believe it that they rated the Maxima (family) way below the 4 banger Accord and the G35 (upscale) is below median. This is the new Skyline GTR.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
rattanak said:
92TrippleBlack

I'm glad that I am not the only one against CR when it comes to vehicle ratings. I couldn't believe it that they rated the Maxima (family) way below the 4 banger Accord and the G35 (upscale) is below median. This is the new Skyline GTR.
I'd love to see who gives CR "advertising" money. My buddy has an '04 BMW 325. He bought it a week after I got my G35 without looking at the G and spent $2 grand more. Now he's kicking himself. Comparing the two side by side, the G is better in every way. Mileage, comfort, performance, styling, etc. The closest TOYota to the G is the IS300 which again is dominated by a G35. Maybe they should read car and driver's car of the year or top ten cars articles. :cool:

Wonder if they do a better job rating blenders? Maybe they should stick to that and not be a jack of all trades, master of none. :whip:

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info guys, I went on the Michelin site, and put in the Armada for sizing, and it came back as "not available", the web site says they dont make that size for Armadas??? Going to try BF Goodrich next. Does anyone have Michelins 18's on their stock Mada?

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Go to page 3 under general discussions and look for the thread "Road trip with new Cross Terrains". I started that thread and went thru the whole thing with Michelin. They DO make them because I have some.

They are good tires. Hope that helps.

Allen

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
dmarmada04le said:
Thanks for the info guys, I went on the Michelin site, and put in the Armada for sizing, and it came back as "not available", the web site says they dont make that size for Armadas??? Going to try BF Goodrich next. Does anyone have Michelins 18's on their stock Mada?
Here is the link to that 265/70/18 Michelin Cross Country. I would go through your local America's Tire Co and have them order.

I went to Michelin web site and showed not listed for the Armada. I assumed they don't have the size, so I bought something else.

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Michelin&tiremodel=Cross+Terrain%AE+SUV&pc=95566

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
dmarmada04le said:
I tried it too and they don't list it. Also, Tirerack doesn't list the BFGs either. These are just typos.They list the size on the michelins if you look at the spec and sizing PDF for the tire on the site. I'm sure if you called a dealer they would be able to get them for you. :noworries

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What a P.I.T.A., I have called everyone near me (Michelin Dealers), and they all say Mich doesnt make a Cross Terrain in 2657018. I give them the part number, still no dice. I ask if I can bring in the tires and have them install and they say no. Why are these tires so difficult to find for these knuckle heads?

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I got mine throught Discount Tire Co. Maybe you could print the letter in the thread from Michelin.

Michelin also makes the Pilot LTX (new tire, I think) in a 285/60 18 . That size looks great, but I don't know anything about the tire.

There is also the Diamares 4x4 tire in 285/60 18. People swear by this tire for comfort and handling but say they are not good in snow. Strange since they are selling them as 4x4 tires. I'd like to try them though. But they'd really smooth out the ride.

Good luck.

Allen

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just got another call back from a "Gold Rated" Michelin dealer, and they told me the tire is not made. I gave him the number etc etc, he told me it doesnt exist. Then I called Sears, they found them for me 50 miles away, are having them shipped up by Tuesday, and installing them on Wednesday. $925 installed/balanced etc including tax. The Sears guy told me at first that they werent coming up for Michelin. He dug around a bit and found them. Expensive, but I think I got a decent price in line with what you guys were getting.

Thanks for the help, I'll post how they ride next week.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got the new Michelins installed yesterday, WOW what a difference :2cool: , I have never seen such a difference from a set of tires being changed. MUCH quieter ride on the highway, handling is improved. No rain yet to try them out in, but I'm sure they will be good in the rain also. Thank you very much guys for recommending them, I couldn't be happier with the improvement!!

Now if only my brake parts would come in (waiting about 4 weeks now), I've got almost no pad left in the front and the rotors have some serious high spots on them, the guy changing my tires was actually laughnig at the size of the brakes they put on such a big vehicle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts