Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Magazine today called Motor Trend's Truck Trend and they had an ad by Unichip (www.unichip.us ) for the Nissan Titan and Armada. They have a Dyno chart with before and after and it looks very good but then dosen't most advertisment.

Has anyone out there bought one and if so what do you think? Besides the increase power I wonder if it would help at all to increase mpg? I realize most of the time increase power does not help increase mpg but I guess it does not hurt to dream!!!

·
Premium Member
5,214 Posts
If you search at our sister site, clubtitan.org, you will find a lot of info about this unit. The price (about $800.00) will scare away most people!

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
I want a chip! I want one now! But . . . something ain't right about this chart. The company is a respected one, but did you all notice that the horsepower and torque numbers for the stock engine are EXACTLY what Nissan published for those values AT THE FLYWHEEL? But it is highly likely that this aftermarket company did not pull an engine, put it on a test stand and test at the flywheel, but rather tested on a chassis dyno, which would show numbers based on output AT THE REAR WHEELS. Our trucks are not producing those numbers at the rear wheels. No way.

And does it seem a coincidence that the improvement is completely across the entire RPM range? Yes, horsepower gain is maximized at higher rpm, but torque seems to be up pretty much the same amount everywhere.

This is just not consistent with what tuner chips do in the real world. There is usually a trade off - typically moving the horsepower curve up and to the right, and even causing you to lose horses at low rpm, and fattening the torque curve everywhere? Dunno about that. I'm skeptical.

And what fuel was used? Did they use regular with the chip or switch to premium? If so, both runs probably should be with premium, because we already know that our ECU's will advance timing further with premium fuel under WOT conditions (like on a dyno run) and will produce about 10 more horses and about 10 more pounds of torque.

Sorry to be a doubting Thomas, here, but I'm skeptical. I think I'll wait until some of these get out in the hands of users on the various boards, get installed and we get some private dyno results and drag strip runs. Or until someone credible hooks up a big trailer and tells us the chip tows better in the mountains and can pull grades at higher speeds.

Just my two bits.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
I'm with ARMADA. Looks fishy. I want a chip, but I'm waiting for feedback from other board people, titan owners, etc. and want to see what else comes out first.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
I just read everything on the Unichip site very carefully. They may be onto something, and their chips are highly regarded in many credible circles.

But that published dyno data bothers me. I just sent them an e-mail asking them to come and check out this site and also some of the Titan sites, because there is a lot of interest in buying a good chip.

But I asked them to clarify how they get those dyno numbers which do not make sense to me and which do not jive with what Armada and Titan owners are getting on chassis dynos. This is hurting their credibility.

I'd like to see them use chassis dyno numbers and to disclose what the test conditions were, what correction factors, if any, they are using, and what fuel is used in the stock and chipped runs.

I'll let everyone know if I get a response what they say, and maybe someone from the company might come here, give us the info directly and also make any adjustments to their dyno charts at their web site to maintain or restore credibility.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts