Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I drove a 2012 Nissan Armada for 5 years and I tow a 26' travel trailer (30' tip to bumper) with a GVW of 6100#. I regularly have another family in it with me so it's not unheard of for me to have 6-8 people and a german shepherd in the car while I am towing. I loved my 2012 so much that I replaced it with a 2015 last spring. (I looked at the newer ones but they don't have the room I need behind the 3rd row seat for the dog). The issue I am having is this... The 2012 was a beast! It never slowed down while I was towing up hills, it also seemed to have lots of spare power when I had to pass towing or not towing. The transmission gauge would go high but the fluid never smelled burned and it would quickly cool down when I was done going uphill. My new one struggles with the hills, really struggles in comparison. I have done a couple grades where it wouldn't go faster than 15 mph unless I manually put it in first gear then it would go up to maybe 25 mph. On the upside the transmission gauge never moves off of center. Does anyone have any idea of how I can improve the performance of my new one so it is more like the old one? Could it be a gearing difference? They are both rental returns so I don't think that either one of them would have had a modification done to them before I got them. They are both 4 wheel drive Armadas. Thanks in advance for any help on this issue!
IMG_3468.JPG

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I know with my 2008, they had a towing package, which changed the gearing in the rear end from 2.97 to 3.36. The higher number is better for towing and performance at the expense of gas mileage. I imagine this is the same for the 2015 since things hadn't changed much between our years. You might've gotten the 2.97, which means it's not as peppy, but should be better with gas mileage.

EDIT: You should be able to verify this by looking at the sticker on the bottom your B-Pillar (the frame support between the driver's side front door and the door behind it). It should have something like an "axle ratio", and should have a code next to it. RD33 means you have the 3.36 and RD29 means you have the 2.97. If you don't have this, things might've changed from 2008 and I'm not sure how to verify the gearing.

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know with my 2008, they had a towing package, which changed the gearing in the rear end from 2.97 to 3.36. The higher number is better for towing and performance at the expense of gas mileage. I imagine this is the same for the 2015 since things hadn't changed much between our years. You might've gotten the 2.97, which means it's not as peppy, but should be better with gas mileage.

EDIT: You should be able to verify this by looking at the sticker on the bottom your B-Pillar (the frame support between the driver's side front door and the door behind it). It should have something like an "axle ratio", and should have a code next to it. RD33 means you have the 3.36 and RD29 means you have the 2.97. If you don't have this, things might've changed from 2008 and I'm not sure how to verify the gearing.
Both of them have the button to put the Armada into tow mode. Unfortunately mine does not have a sticker that says anything about gear ratio..... I also could not find anything on the housing either.

Both of them have the button to put the Armada into tow mode. Unfortunately mine does not have a sticker that says anything about gear ratio..... I also could not find anything on the housing either.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Unfortunately, according to this press release, it looks like all 2015s had a 3.35 gear ratio (I think it is techincally a 3.357, so many round up to 3.36, but some round down). So, it seems your issue probably lies elsewhere, but I wouldn't know where to start guessing.

And the "Tow Mode" button is a standard feature on all Armadas. It is used to change how the transmission shifts, but won't really affect performance while towing.

Reactions: marctronixx
1 - 5 of 5 Posts