Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My driver's side power folding rear view mirror is juttering closed rather than smoothly like it used to do.

Can I lube this? Do I have to take it apart?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine too! Starting to think the extended warranty is a good idea. I already had ? have the power lift gate fixed.

I stay away from those - overall you will end up paying more.

I may have to take it apart if no one has any ideas. If I do I'll report back.

I noticed the glass tilting in the mirror assembly is doing the same. Hopefully some well placed lube will do the trick.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't even think about that - thank you.

Is there a brand you recommend?

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I haven't noticed the need, but I'm going to get some to preempt the issue.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for long delay on reply but CRC makes a good one called 2-26 plastic safe lubricant and you can find at a home depot or amazon online...

Thanks for the tip.

Interestingly they seemed smooth today after torrential rain yesterday.

The glass is still sputtery though so I will have to take them apart and give this live a try.

Well the rain only made them smooth that day. Looks like I'll have to get the lube.

Well I got the CRC stuff off of Amazon as I could not find it locally. I took the door skin and mirror off in an attempt to find where it was sticking but could not do more than take the glass out.

I sprayed the lube between where the plastic pieces of each side meet and that seems to have done the trick.

Unfortunately I now have lube on my running board and driveway as it leaked out pretty bad.

My suggestion would be to spray it and wrap a towel around it. Doesn't make sense to remove the mirrors - unless you want to avoid the mess.

Moreover, on my armada I had a adheasive sticker covering the screws but I had removed it years ago. Once you take it off you can't get it to stick back on.

I will report back once we get a few rain storms to see if the lube stays in place.

It's rained several times and the mirrors are doing great. I even sprayed the switch because it would take a few cycles sometimes and it is working without issues now. The plastic switch is nice and shiny now too.

It made dark spots on my bed lined running boards where it dripped and I'm tempted to spray the entire board as it made it a nice black. Might be slippery though.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Thanks for the update. Do you think there's a way to apply it without taking anything apart? Or do you have any good info on how to take it apart if necessary?

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
It's rained several times and the mirrors are doing great. I even sprayed the switch because it would take a few cycles sometimes and it is working without issues now. The plastic switch is nice and shiny now too.

It made dark spots on my bed lined running boards where it dripped and I'm tempted to spray the entire board as it made it a nice black. Might be slippery though.

Good stuff... Glad it worked for you..

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well almost 6 years later and I'm back on the mirrors.

This time, the glass will not move (power folding is working but sputtery so will spray lube again).

I got one of the mirrors to move slightly but since that they will not adjust at all.

Before I start spraying and troubleshooting, any thoughts on if this could be a switch issue vs mirror adjustment motor issue?

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awesome! Thanks!

I’ll try to tinker this weekend a post back.

Well I finally got some time/insensitive to look at this and I was also replacing the passenger side mirror glass.

The mirrors are folding ok but were not adjusting the glass position. After tinkering I realized I can get both to move up but no other direction.

This leads me to think the switch is the culprit as the down/left/right functions are not working on both. I doubt that both mirror actuators failed in the same way which prevents those movements.

I will order the switch and post back results for those who may have a similar issue.

Well I finally got some time/insensitive to look at this and I was also replacing the passenger side mirror glass.

The mirrors are folding ok but were not adjusting the glass position. After tinkering I realized I can get both to move up but no other direction.

This leads me to think the switch is the culprit as the down/left/right functions are not working on both. I doubt that both mirror actuators failed in the same way which prevents those movements.

I will order the switch and post back results for those who may have a similar issue.
Finally got the switch and it fixed the issue. Was able to find it on eBay pretty cheap.

Hopefully this can help someone with similar issues.

Edit - I had to do some research and get one with the blue back rather than the pink back. Apparently different years used different model switches.

Finally got the switch and it fixed the issue. Was able to find it on eBay pretty cheap.

Hopefully this can help someone with similar issues.

Edit - I had to do some research and get one with the blue back rather than the pink back. Apparently different years used different model switches.
Some more details and images. It seemed both were listed under p/n 25570EG01C but below are the different switches.

For my 2007 LE, I needed the blue one. You can see the adjustment paddle is recessed on the blue one. I also found that some other Nissans use this switch.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts