Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, we have a 2017 Armada SL and travel about 4000 miles a year towing a 6500# dry weight travel trailer with less than 1000# of cargo. Given the Armada's given tow capacity of 8500 #'s, I figured that I'm good. On our most recent trip home, on the final day of our vacation, the transmission seemingly began to slip. We were accelerating on a level grade going roughly 45-50 miles per hour. The transmission did this a few more times at different speeds before I shut it off for awhile but never threw a code. Has anyone experienced anything similar to this? With having 44,000 miles on the car and the powertrain warranty being good for 60,000 miles, I figured that I might take it to the dealership to get it checked out. That was until I reviewed the owners manual. The manual states that even though it's equipped and rated to tow, towing is considered "misuse" and voids the powertrain warranty. Have any of you been denied a warranty claim due to towing with the Armada?

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
First, how do you know your trailer weighs 6500 lbs dry? Did you weigh it? And, how do you know you have 1000 lbs of cargo in it? Did you weigh that? Did you include the weight of the hitch, the propane, your batteries, water (unless you tow dry, like I do), other stuff? I'm going to guess, from 20+ years of towing experience, that your trailer weighs a lot more than you think it does. Second, know that the 8500 lb max tow rating is for an empty vehicle, driver only, full of fuel. Is that how you travel when you tow? Or do you have other people in the vehicle with you? Cargo with you? If so, those pounds come off of the max tow rating. Again, going to guess that you are over GVWR of the Armada, and likely over max tow weight when you factor in weight in your vehicle. By the way, this is common to all vehicles, not just the Armada. The only way to get maximum tow rating is to have nothing in the tow vehicle.

That being said, this should not cause your transmission to start slipping. Something else is going on. Have you checked your fluid? When it was slipping, were you going up a steep hill? Was it real hot outside? Were you in a low gear (i.e., the engine was at higher rpms; that is preferred, rather than lugging the engine and transmission)? How fast were you trying to go?

FInally, I have never seen the exclusion that you are pointing out. I haven't looked at my owners manual to see if it says the same thing, but that really does seem odd. I also have never heard of Nissan, or any manufacturer for that matter, voiding a powertrain warranty due to towing. Towing overweight, perhaps, but they'd have to prove that you actually were overweight, and that the overweight condition contributed to the failure that they refuse to cover.

EDIT: Just did a Google search on Nissan Warranty, and found the 2017 Warranty booklet in pdf. I did a search on "towing" and "tow", and found no exclusion. Can you take a picture of the page in your manual that shows the exclusion for towing, so others can check their manual for the same exclusion?

Oh, and welcome to Club Armada.

Keith

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I went off the sticker on the side of the travel trailer. We haven't put it on a scale yet but intend on it. In other words in guessing my weights. We have two full propane bottles and the battery but don't carry any water in the tanks. We tow with four people in the car when we travel and keep the luggage and stuff in the trailer itself. I heard that about the max tow rating but figured with were covered with a roughly thousands pound difference.

I'm unable to check the fluid myself from the engine compartment. I was on a flat grade when it slipped and i was going roughly 45 miles an hour in tow mode. It was around 92 degrees outside at the time.

The exclusion is listed in the warranty manual rate than the owners manual. I attached a photo of it. I also attached a photo of an online weight calculator with our approximate numbers.

Thank you for your response and assistance,
Shawn

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Love to Camp found a very interesting note In the warranty manual. I’m sure many of us tow (and tow well under Nissan’s stated capacity).
Considering these early Y62 models have issues with engine knock noted clearly in the Titan forum, this is concerning.
Any thoughts here from other members?
We pull a 3500# camper with our ‘17 and this is an eye opener as I’ve overlooked this warranty note as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
What is up with that warranty clause?
Makes me a little nervous.
Clearly states "misuse, such as using the vehicle to tow"

·
Registered
1 Posts
The main reason I just bought the Armada is for towing. All reviews I have read put that as a strength. What a bummer...
Link to warranty booklet below:
https://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/Nissan/us/manuals-and-guides/shared/2017/2017-nissan-warranty-booklet.pdf

WHAT IS NOT COVERED GENERAL EXCLUSIONS
This warranty does not cover damage, failures or corrosion resulting from or caused by:
  • Failure to operate the vehicle in accordance with the Owner’s Manual
  • Misuse, such as using the vehicle to tow
Really disappointed right now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts