Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. That's why I borrowed scr38's idea for installing my Prodigy brake controller. I had 2 main issues that concerned me. 1. I want to be able to reach the manual control fairly easily and 2. When not in use, it should not be visible.

I created a sub-harness with the Prodigy wiring and OEM supplied pigtail. Next I used Molex connectors to join the two. I routed the harness under the steering column, near an existing factory harness. The connector for the Prodigy simply tucks up under the dash when not in use.

I used Velcro's Auto fasteners (Velcro Part # 90879). Regular Velcro will NOT stick to the plastic lower dash panel, even says so on the package. The 3M version was not much better. It takes 24hrs. to fully cure. I went with the grey color, but I have already removed it and used the black. The grey did not blend into the dash as I had hoped (see pics). I used the metal bracket supplied with the Prodigy and placed the 2nd half of the Velcro to it. It sits at a 45 deg. angle which is well within specs.

All that is left is to hook it to an electrical brake trailer (mine is hydraulic) and perform the setup.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Nice pictures, I was warned by others not to use velcro because during high interior heat, the velcro will let go. When it does, it could be a very dangerous affect caused by the controller falling.

I mounted mine with two screws on the very inner lip that can't be seen. I only went through the plastic as I didn't want to stress the plastic by mounting through that and the metal back plate. There's 1/4" of space or more between them, so I didn't want to stress the plastic by forcing it past it's resting state. Since the screws did make contact on the metal plate and created rattling, I took a piece of material and placed it between the screws and the back plate.

Here's my picture.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Greetings,

I just got an 06 Armada SE with Tow Package. I have the following questions:

1- According to the posted picture, is that the best place to mount the Prodigy brake controller? I like to remove it when not in use. Any other suggestions?

2- Does it need to be leveled? Can it be mounted on the side?

3- I used a brake controller on a Ford Explorer. It had a button to apply the trailer brakes without using the car's brakes. Does the Prodigy have such feature?

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Driftaholic said:
Greetings,

I just got an 06 Armada SE with Tow Package. I have the following questions:

1- According to the posted picture, is that the best place to mount the Prodigy brake controller? I like to remove it when not in use. Any other suggestions?

2- Does it need to be leveled? Can it be mounted on the side?

3- I used a brake controller on a Ford Explorer. It had a button to apply the trailer brakes without using the car's brakes. Does the Prodigy have such feature?

Thank you.
I think this is the best place to install it. I have mine there too. It comes with a mount that you can remove the controller when you are not using it. I think it needs to be at a 45 degree angle. Yes it has a lever that you can slide to apply the brakes on the trailer. Hope this helps.

James

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Thank you James,

I am ordering one today.

BTW, I reviewed your mod list. Do the Air Box and the 2 deg advance make a noticable difference in performance and gas mileage?

What Air Box did you install? Can I install it in my garage or does it require an expert/modification?

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.