Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Just found this forum and as I am considering a new Armada 4X4 LE I thought I would join, I hope you don't mind.

I am very worried to hear about the problems with the A/C and Brakes, do these problems affect all Amardas? Its a 100 F for more than six months of the year here (in fact its often 110 +) so poor A/C performance would put me off buying one. All cars and trucks that I have been in (that use R134) suffer some drop in A/C performance at idle or slow speed, just how bad is it?

I have a 2001 GMC Yukon at present and apart from a few minor niggles it has been perfect, I just fancy a change and the looks of the Amarda have grown on me.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I'm in FL so it is very hot here too and honestly I have not had a problem with my A/C at all. It takes a couple minutes to cool off at startup but it stays cold all the time.

I have had brake problems though, but it would not deter me from buying because Nissan is well aware of the problem and are doing everything they can to fix it.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Tmation said:
Hi all

Just found this forum and as I am considering a new Armada 4X4 LE I thought I would join, I hope you don't mind.

I am very worried to hear about the problems with the A/C and Brakes, do these problems affect all Amardas? Its a 100 F for more than six months of the year here (in fact its often 110 +) so poor A/C performance would put me off buying one. All cars and trucks that I have been in (that use R134) suffer some drop in A/C performance at idle or slow speed, just how bad is it?

I have a 2001 GMC Yukon at present and apart from a few minor niggles it has been perfect, I just fancy a change and the looks of the Amarda have grown on me.
This is the problem with reading forums. The problems are all blown out of proportion. Go to GM boards you will find brake problems and head gaskets blowing. Go to Ford and you will find guys on their 7th rear end and missing gas tank lids. Go to Sequoia and you will find bad brake problems plaging them for almost 4 years.

I have an '05 LE 4x4. Great truck. I love it. I drove everything else out there and it was miles above them all (except the Porsche Cayenne Turbo or Supercharged Land Rover).

The brake problem is fixed as well as AC. The dealer should perform both on your rig before you drive it away. Brakes were updated as of 5/05. Any made since then are fine. Prior, like mine, which has just started a squeek at 8,000 miles, are covered for 3 years unlimited miles. They will get the new parts on it for free and be done with it. There is a current shortage of parts. The trucks are selling better than expected. They put the parts first on the line and extras come to us for upgrade. Most people have had them installed already but until they completely meet demand, they are returning the rotors which buys them another 5-10k before they start to warp again. This will get them time to get the parts in. In the mean time it isn't a safety issue. You just feel a vibration im the brake pedal but it still stops fine. I would be very surprised if they still have any shortages by year end.

As for the AC, I also live in FL. I can't think of a day I haven't had the AC on full. Frankly, I've had to turn it down as I was getting too cold more than once. And I'm a Hockey goalie who moved to FL from NY a couple years ago. I'm more viking than indian so heat bugs me. Not a complaint here. If you are unlucky enough to get a badly functioning AC, again it is under warranty and the dealer has a TSB on this also and can fix it on the spot.

People whine so much but in reality, there are almost no people with the AC problem and the brake problem has been addressed and again, I haven't heard any complaints after the new brakes were put on. Imagine if you read a similar board on Yukons. I posted one below. Its a horror show. 200 problems reported. :rolleyes:

Bottomline, get the SUV. Best one out there. It was also rated highest for consumer satisfaction which speaks volumes for how prevalent the problems are.
:goteam:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/[email protected]@.ee6b280!keywords=allin%3Amsgtext%20limit%3AGMC%3AYukon%20problems&count=20&make=GMC&model=Yukon

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Tmation said:
Hi all

Before we bought our Armada, we drove everything out there in the similar price range. Sequoia, Tahoe, Suburban, Durango, Expedition. The Armada is so much better than the rest! Even with the problems (I'm on my 5th set of front brakes!), I wouldn't buy anything else. If I was in the market now, I'd buy another Armada in a second.

Keith

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

Thanks for the replies, I know these things can get overstated so thats why I asked. The problem is I work in Saudi Arabia, where I will be buying the truck, and the dealer isn't much use, let alone the language difference.

I am trying to find out if Nissan upgraded the Amarda for here as GMC do for their SUV's. Most of the emission stuff and Cat are removed and they clain 340 bhp, maybe they have upgraded the A/C as well for this market.

There are only 4X4 SE and LE 05 models available at the moment, the dealer is not sure when the 06 will be here. It was a new model here in about April 05 and we seem to be about a year behind the States.

I am not sure what options are available to you but we get them as ordered by the dealer. The LE I am looking at has leather, sun roof, reversing sensors and power tailgate. There is no DVD or Sat Nav fitted here.

Many thanks

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Tmation said:
Hi

Thanks for the replies, I know these things can get overstated so thats why I asked. The problem is I work in Saudi Arabia, where I will be buying the truck, and the dealer isn't much use, let alone the language difference.

I am trying to find out if Nissan upgraded the Amarda for here as GMC do for their SUV's. Most of the emission stuff and Cat are removed and they clain 340 bhp, maybe they have upgraded the A/C as well for this market.

There are only 4X4 SE and LE 05 models available at the moment, the dealer is not sure when the 06 will be here. It was a new model here in about April 05 and we seem to be about a year behind the States.

I am not sure what options are available to you but we get them as ordered by the dealer. The LE I am looking at has leather, sun roof, reversing sensors and power tailgate. There is no DVD or Sat Nav fitted here.

Many thanks
Different rating system. The 340 HP is the same as 305 here. There was a discussion about that. I included the link. The emission and cat should still be there, but regardless, removing them won't add the HP.
They rate gross SAE Gross HP, not SAE Net HP. They are made in Mississippi and shipped there. Same truck as ours. ;)
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24620&highlight=340

The DVD and NAV are options. NAV comes in the Tech package for the LE. DVD is the entertainment package. Check the build date of the truck. If it was built after 5/05, you should be fine for brakes. Not sure when they did the AC fix, but unlike the brakes, very few AC have had problems. I haven't had any in Florida and mine was made last fall. ;)

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well sold the Yukon and putting a deposit on an Armada LE tomorrow. Not sure whether to go for the deep water blue or the silver, both have the grey interior. One was made 05/05 and the other 06/05, does that mean both have the new brakes? I think they are a bit more expensive here than the USA, mine will cost around $38,000

On the horsepower thing it is very difficult to compare as they quote different measuring systems everywhere. Net, Gross, PS, KW, KG it gives me a headache :confused:

If you fit larger wheels and tyres (English English here :D ) can you get a speedo recalibrator ?

Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
At this time there is no way to recalbrate the speedo. However installing larger wheels and tires may not change the OD of the tires much since the tires used on the lager wheels are usually lower profile. You can't increase the OD very much without clearance problems.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
As a one month Armada owner who started with this forum prior to purchase, I hear you. I had many concerns and was tripping a bit. I am here to tell you that thing are going great with my 05 LE 4x4. The A/C could be a bit better, it's not as bad as you might hear. My brakes have been fine, no rattles and the 70mph shimmy went away with a $20 dollar road force balance.

That said, this site has helped me with things and I am glad for it!

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Tmation said:
Well sold the Yukon and putting a deposit on an Armada LE tomorrow. Not sure whether to go for the deep water blue or the silver, both have the grey interior. One was made 05/05 and the other 06/05, does that mean both have the new brakes? I think they are a bit more expensive here than the USA, mine will cost around $38,000

On the horsepower thing it is very difficult to compare as they quote different measuring systems everywhere. Net, Gross, PS, KW, KG it gives me a headache :confused:

If you fit larger wheels and tyres (English English here :D ) can you get a speedo recalibrator ?

Many thanks.
Congrats. Either should be fine for the brakes. Mine was a 4x4 LE with NAV and DVD. It had a sticker of $48,000.

Check my tire posts for the conversion. Mine are about as large as will fit but they are only off by about 1.2 mph at 70 mph. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts