Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Armada Platinum Reserve
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried a push-through gas cap (e.g. the example listed at Summit Racing) on their Armada? I have a 2018 model and, since I find myself at the gas station just a bit more often than my last vehicle, this seems like a potential time saver. The site referenced claims universal fit, but I was concerned about sensor reactions to the change. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you don't have a contribution to the question and simply want to criticize or judge someone, please take it elsewhere.

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
one thing i would be worried about is if the computer will "sense" there may be an opened petrol cap, thus throwing a code.

i admit i didn't know this was an option . do keep the class updated if you decide to give it a shot...

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Takes me about 3 seconds to remove and stow the gas cap. Just how much time do you plan to save?
If you don't have a contribution to the question and simply want to criticize or judge someone, please take it elsewhere.
crazy4trains asks a legitimate question since you put it down as your main point of doing the mod.
It is the same question I was going to ask. You are talking about very minimal amounts of time to be saved. I don't see the point.

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
crazy4trains asks a legitimate question since you put it down as your main point of doing the mod.
It is the same question I was going to ask. You are talking about very minimal amounts of time to be saved. I don't see the point.
It is not legitimate, as I was neither asking for feedback on my intention nor the value of it, only as to whether anyone had any experience doing this. I had really hoped this would be an open forum to exchange information and experience, but it would seem it's just another group of petty tyrants who want to diminish others. Very unfortunate outcome for a well-intentioned idea. If you do not align with an idea then just move on; there's no value for anyone in either of your approaches.

one thing i would be worried about is if the computer will "sense" there may be an opened petrol cap, thus throwing a code.

i admit i didn't know this was an option . do keep the class updated if you decide to give it a shot...
That crossed my mind as well. As Iv'e researched more, it seems this sort of item is targeted more towards customizers/hot rodders where I am guessing the sensor systems are far less complex. Think I'm going to chicken out on this one. Thanks to those of you with thoughtful input.

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
@jlartiguebrunet ,

yeah that makes sense. nice idea though. ive had a rental car or thrice and have seen the "capless" system. i thought it was cool, but there is a reason these cars have the cap by design so id rather not mess with it. I also think you are right in those hot rodders/modders dont have the complex system as these cars have.

anyway on to the next mod! :)

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
I did not intend to inflame, but was just responding to the only reason you listed for wanting to try the modification: "this seems like a potential time saver". I was only stating that I don't think it will save you any time. If you want to try to mod, please do. I hope it is successful. If you do try it please post your experience and results, both good and bad. That is how this forum grows.

One must have a thick skin when on the web as intent cannot be seen in the eyes of the post author. We only have the words.

This is a good forum. Don't bail just because somebody disagrees with you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I question if the benefits outweigh the risk of failure and codes, especially on a second gen. Do you carry an obd scanner with you?
I have not historically done so, but have considered it. Nonetheless, I believe the general consensus is that it would likely cause issues, so I've decided not to pursue. Thanks for your thoughts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts