Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '15 plat reseve. Love it. We are thinking about upgrading our camper to one that is 35' long and 7800 unloaded... We would do it with a truck, but we need the passenger room in the vehicle for kids and two large breed dogs. Unfortunately, they don't make many SUV's for towing like they did the Armada. So, I think it's our best options short of going with an old Excursion.

Anyways, what do you guys think? I've heard the classic split. Some say with gear it's a go. Others say no chance. I was looking into a propride 3P WDH ($3k). Is this reasonable to think it can do it. Certain ly not ideal, I know. But also the best time to get a camper that will suit our family well.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wouldn't do it. Towing too much trailer is a miserable experience. I pulled a 9k trailer with my Tundra that was rated to pull 10k, absolutely horrible. I've also pulled a number of generators, pumps, excavators, etc....in my line of work, you realize really quick when the vehicle is unhappy. A lot of times you don't realize it until it's too late.

My camper is 4200 unloaded, I estimate somewhere around 6k loaded with all of our gear, bikes, generator, fuel, etc. The Armada pulls this really well. Do I know it's back there, of course, but at no time do I feel like I'm pushing the limits of the vehicle. With that said I will not go any heavier than that with the Armada. I like to enjoy the trip, whether that's 250 miles or 1000 miles. We tow a lot, the camper is basically our 2nd home. I like to have a carefree time on the interstate, I like to roll at 70mph, I don't like to feel any sway. Pulling too heavy is exhausting and you'll be in a bad mood when you get to your destination.

I wouldn't be surprised if actual loaded scale weight on that trailer you're considering is close to 10k. Then calculate your tongue weight and payload (sounds heavy just considering the passengers and dogs). Remember that advertised weight doesn't take into account propane or many other factory accessories, sometimes they don't even include the batteries, awning, mattress, or furniture.

You're in 3/4 ton truck territory. And if you're going 3/4, may as well just do 1 ton SRW. Get a crew cab with a front bench seat, you'll have 6 seats if need be. Get an insulated topper for the bed, dogs will be happier in there than cramped in the back of the Armada.

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Been there, do'n that! LOL! Pretty much what OBXPatrol said. I will add, I pull my TT like I'm driving a semi, manual shifting up and down any grade worth mention. Found myself down into 1st gear going up one grade venturing into Yosemite National park. That was about the only time though. Most grades I'm in 2nd running 3500 on the tach at about 40 mph. One trip coming from a track meet my daughter was in at Las Wages, we were push'n a strong head wind and I found myself pretty much in 3rd gear the whole way home, 3000 rpm @ 60 mph. NOT FUN!!! Mada was drink'n gas like it was the last gas it was ever gonna see, broke my wallet. I've made some upgrades to help it out, I put the heavy Napa coils in the rear with the Firestone air bladders, I have a 3 pass all aluminum radiator and the extended reservoir aluminum trans pan. All these mods help but the Mada is at its limit, there really is no reserve power. I'm operating in it pulling that BAT (big awesome trailer) so take a lesson from me and either get a Ford Excursion or a 1 ton truck. Just a thought FWIW.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not to mention the liability if you get into an accident while overloaded. You do have a duty of care not to do that and you just posted that you know that's over the limit. There would be damages and a clear breach. Means the lawyers are just down to proving causation. Ick.

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
"You do have a duty of care not to do that and you just posted that you know that's over the limit."

Oh boy, here we go! Seen that a lot, the out house (being nice) attorney's. Never posted overloaded, stating "at limit" is just that, at limit. No reserve power means U R not gonna B speed'n up any hills. First U have to B in an collision, second they have to prove U were overloaded IF you are in an collision and are the cause of said collision. How do they prove you were overloaded if U were in a collision, are they going to pick all the debris with a loader, take it to a scale and weigh it? Not likely! A lot of supposition. You can be right up to GCWR and B within limit. U need to know, the ratings the MFG. puts on your vehicle are not law as much as many believe them to be. Not being an outhouse attorney, just stating fact. I'm not advocating anyone "overload" their vehicle at all. You just see this verbiage so so often being parroted by folks and it is just pure speculation. IDK about where U R from, here in CA looking at the CA vehicle code for class C operators and the driver hand book, you will only find vague references to overloading and no law stating what is considered "overloaded." It only states "having sufficient power so as not to adversely affect speed." There is no Vehicle code for that so... what does that mean? I've seen a fair number of crashes involving cars towing trailers, trailers flipped and jackknifed. Who knows the cause, one can only speculate. "Duty of care?" Sounds good and all, where is that in the vehicle code or penal code? Could negligence be more what you are looking for, IDK? Loading a vehicle up to its GVWR or GCWR is not negligence nor is it overloading. You may not be able to speed up hills but that too may not be such a bad thing. ANOTHER opinion FWIW.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts