Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for answer to this for years but have never seen the question asked. Going to finally do it here now that I've got some down time. It is possible(and fairly plug and play) to put a 2013 Armada factory head unit in a 2012. The reason I ask is that the 2013s came with Bluetooth functionality so you could both use your phone to talk AND play music. The 2012s only let you talk, not play music.They are essentially the same trim and radio style from what I can tell so I don't see why you couldn't do it, and it seems the cheapest method since getting aftermarket head units appears to be a pain in these things.

In case it matters I'm talking the Platinum trim level. Not sure if the other trims had different head units.

Any thoughts? Anyone actually try this?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,060 Posts
do you have navigation or no?
is the radio you are wanting to swap out with have navigation or no?

id be concerned the wiring harness wont be a direct plug and play.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
I have a 2013 SV model and my head unit is non-nav, but has XM radio. So it ONLY allows Bluetooth phone connection no music. I had to install a Bluetooth aftermarket unit that uses the XM button to play music. works pretty good. Steering wheel features still works.

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'
do you have navigation or no?
is the radio you are wanting to swap out with have navigation or no?

id be concerned the wiring harness wont be a direct plug and play.
I've got navigation (though I wouldn't care if that worked or not). Would look to do a straight swap of a 2012 Nav unit with 2013 Nav unit hoping all the wires are the same. From the outside it looks like the 2012s and 2013s have the exact same head unit, I just don't know about the guts and wires.

·
Super Moderator
6,060 Posts
there are different components in the 2013+ versions because of the included A2DP (bluetooth) function. this new feature has to have access to the "speed sense" wire so that when the car accelerates, and if you have this option activated,. the music /sound will raise volume relative to the speed of the car and reduce when the speed lowers. plus with modifications on the wiring harness across model years, the wiring could be somewhat different.

that said, it is possible it IS plug and play, so hopeful you are successful.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
there are different components in the 2013+ versions because of the included A2DP (bluetooth) function. this new feature has to have access to the "speed sense" wire so that when the car accelerates, and if you have this option activated,. the music /sound will raise volume relative to the speed of the car and reduce when the speed lowers. plus with modifications on the wiring harness across model years, the wiring could be somewhat different.

that said, it is possible it IS plug and play, so hopeful you are successful.
Appreciate the reply. Sounds like there's a chance it may work but I may need to be the guinea pig. If I can find a used 2013+ nav unit pretty cheap I may just attempt the swap during my downtime and see what happens. Might be my only option since it seems like the aftermarket options all seem to be out of stock where I've looked. If/when I get around to the swap i'll report back.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
@silba011, forget a used OE nav unit and look into this.

I’ve had the VL2 in my QX80 for over a year now. With the latest update, it’s now completely wireless. It also retains all the OE functions of the steering wheel audio controls and the OE controls on the center dash.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Been a while since I've been on here, but saw this thread and wanted to respond......there is a thread about this from about 6 or 7 years ago, and the conclusion was that it would be too difficult to do this. With the 2013 model year, Nissan changed the electronics in the HVAC / audio system to use the same protocol / interface as what was used in the Infiniti. If you notice, the steering wheel changed in 2013 as well. The changes are far more than just changing the head unit, at a minimum you'd need the new steering wheel, and I think the conclusion was that a lot of other things would have to change as well. I used to have a 2012, and would have loved to have had the added functionality of the 2013, as well as the better looking steering wheel!!

Keith

1 - 9 of 9 Posts