Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am new to the vehicle. My girlfriend has a 2009 Armada, and the tailpipe rusted off from the flange connection. I was going to order a new one, but I noticed that the existing one that has rusted off, has what looks sort of like a catalytic converter. It is one solid pipe, with one bigger section with a heart shield on it. It has no 02 sensors or anything else though.... Was wondering, do some armadas have 3 or more catalytic converters? I know some people replace the cats built into the headers with straight piped cats further down, but would a cat just before the very tip of the exhaust even get hot enough to work properly?
TIA

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
If you are talking about the short pipe that goes from the rear of the muffler and exits at the rear of the vehicle, this is a known common problem. Just take it to a muffler shop and it can be welded back on.

You need to take care of this ASAP because without this tailpipe attached to the muffler hot exhaust exits the muffler and melts the wiring under the rear of the vehicle. Once this happens you are in a world of hurt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. My girlfriend took it to a tire shop and they told her it was loose, but dude this thing could have flown off any time on the freeway! One little tug and it slipped off that hook and came off...
It is pretty ugly rusty so I think I am gonna just buy a new one.. unless that part on it is an actual catalytic converter... Does that normally exist on that part of the exhaust?

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Thank you. My girlfriend took it to a tire shop and they told her it was loose, but dude this thing could have flown off any time on the freeway! One little tug and it slipped off that hook and came off...
It is pretty ugly rusty so I think I am gonna just buy a new one.. unless that part on it is an actual catalytic converter... Does that normally exist on that part of the exhaust?
Post a photo.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
That's not the tailpipe.

The same thing that happened to OP happened to me a while ago. I decided to replace everything from the cat. on back.
I know it’s not the tall pipe he was asking about a catalytic looking part and I figured he was talking about that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts