Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just an intro post here. I got a 2018 Nissan Armada Platinum a couple of weeks ago and I'm very impressed with its capabilities. Only took it off-road this last weekend but plan to do a lot more with it.

My plan is to change the stock tires (275/60R20, that is 33" diameter) and wheels (20") for a set of Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/70R18 (that bring diameter to 33.7").
I have some questions:

1. Would the 33.7" tires fit in the wheel well without any lift? what would be the larger tire to fit in the well without a lift?
2. I understand the stock wheels' offset is +30mm, do I necessarily have to reduce the offset to, say, +25 or +21mm? is it recommended to reduce the offset?
3. The center bore is 77.8mm but I see some wheel dealers that have different measures. Is 77.8 the MINIMUM bore, meaning that it can be larger than that? or wheels have to exactly match this measure?

I'd highly appreciate any guidance on the topic.

·
Registered
2021 Nissan Armada SL
242 Posts
Hello, just an intro post here. I got a 2018 Nissan Armada Platinum a couple of weeks ago and I'm very impressed with its capabilities. Only took it off-road this last weekend but plan to do a lot more with it.

My plan is to change the stock tires (275/60R20, that is 33" diameter) and wheels (20") for a set of Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/70R18 (that bring diameter to 33.7").
I have some questions:

1. Would the 33.7" tires fit in the wheel well without any lift? what would be the larger tire to fit in the well without a lift?
2. I understand the stock wheels' offset is +30mm, do I necessarily have to reduce the offset to, say, +25 or +21mm? is it recommended to reduce the offset?
3. The center bore is 77.8mm but I see some wheel dealers that have different measures. Is 77.8 the MINIMUM bore, meaning that it can be larger than that? or wheels have to exactly match this measure?

I'd highly appreciate any guidance on the topic.
So, I would probably guide you to a local offroad shop for true tire size testing but 1) the 285/70/18's should fit without any rubbing issues but use this tire-size calculator to estimate on your own: Tire Size Calculator and 2) remember the further you reduce the offset, the more the tire & wheel combo will sit outside the fenders. In some cases, there are laws/regs that limit the amount of the tire that can be outside the fender - know your laws and check your turning radius for tire fitment as the offset decreases. And 3) the 77.8mm center bore would be the minimum hub size for wheel, anything smaller would not sit flush against the mounting surface. But anything larger (and most custom wheels are larger) will require a hub-centric spacer to keep the wheel centered on the hub. You can't rely on the lugs to center the wheel in this case because if it's off-center by just one MM, it can cause a wobble or shimmy at certain speeds. I had to install these hub-centric spacers on my Armada and my Titan.

·
Registered
2017 Armada Platinum
37 Posts
I went down to an 18" wheel, with 0 offset. The bore is 83mm. I had no issue getting them mounted. The tire/ wheel combo sits just outside the wheel well, but provides a much more aggressive stance. I also have a three inch lift and run 35's.

It is my understanding that reducing the offset pushes the center of the wheel out, and in some respects allows for a bigger tire, since there is a larger turning area (much like wheel spacers can generally give you a bit more wiggle room). Definitely heck with a local shop, but I think you should be fine!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts