Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

341 - 360 of 377 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I've done this mod 5 times since 08 or so. I did it on a couple of M45s, and my wife's vehicles started with an 08 Pathfinder, then 08 Armada and our recently departed 12 Armada Platinum. I always used this switch but now it's special order only, good thing I have an extra. I installed it between the left heated seat switch and the heated steering wheel switch.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mountain-Switch/103-R13-244C-02-EV/?qs=FlsQBa5xHTb0I1V5vYNoFw%3D%3D
We just got a 2014 Armada Platinum and had already been looking at the AV wiring to do this. FYI, in the 2014 AV manual, pages 389 and 391 detail the parking brake (53) and VSS (70) locations and wire color.

While the dual headrest DVD is cool, since I haven't found where it can be controlled (can it?) from the front unlike prior years, it's kind of a pain in the *** using the remote, especially at night since it's not backlit. I find it really odd that they made the systems separate like that.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
To make life simpler for you QX Owners

Ok, so I really had to do some digging for this info. Utilizing information provided by tintmasters (Shane), service manuals for the 2011 - 2015 QX56 / QX80, and digging for parts.... I decided to make a better Wiring diagram to bypass the DVD system (utilizing a switch with an LED) as has previously been described for the Armada.

The previously uploaded JPG image, was not the most clear (I couldn't zoom in and read the #s and there were some lines drawn that were confusing. I tried to simplify this.

Please NOTE: This is NOT for the Armada, this is for the 2011 - 2015 current year Infiniti QX56 / QX80.

I also included parts you can source off amazon for a grand total of $26 if you want to do this the right way.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Okay... I have been reading this whole thread for a couple weeks and I decided to mod my 2009 Armada LE. I got everything wired using the single switch, 2 relays and diode. All is working, but my "Brake" light comes on one the dash and the "ding" sound alerting me to the e-brake being on continues to sound. Any advice? Thanks!!!!!

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Okay... I have been reading this whole thread for a couple weeks and I decided to mod my 2009 Armada LE. I got everything wired using the single switch, 2 relays and diode. All is working, but my "Brake" light comes on one the dash and the "ding" sound alerting me to the e-brake being on continues to sound. Any advice? Thanks!!!!!
I also had the beeping noise....reason was i didnt cut the wire off the parking brake wire and i only give it another ground, i simply routed another ground source.....with out cutting the parkign brake wire.....

doing what i did lets the feature work, but gives you the beeping noise and displays the illuminated "brake" light....at first i liked it, because it reminds you to flip the switch back, but i then cut the wire and wired it correctly to eliminate the noise because my wife didnt like it that way...she hated the beeping..

So, remember the parking brake wire needs to be cut, the end coming from the head unit needs to be routed to a switch where in one position, it sees ground and the other position it reconnects back to where you originally cut it. (as if it was never cut, back to oem configuration, but just routes through the switch - ie, you just made the path longer, but its back to how it was)

Connect the wire coming from your switch back to the other oem cut wire that goes into the vehicle away from the head unit.

-J

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I am really at a loss as to why everyone uses relays....this mod is ridiculously easy with a DPDT switch....

Relays are just another item you have to buy and another item that can fail.... and most of all - THEY ARE NOT NEEDED!!!! shane himself annotates that in this thread a few times...

If anyone wants a switch wired up with "X" number of feet of wire, soldiered connections and heat shrink let me know, ill sell and ship you one. then you simply pull apart your dash, cut wires, use crimp connectors or solider your connects...up to you, drill mounting hole, do a test drive to ensure all connections are good and working, reassemble and done.

The hardest part of this mod is taking the careful time of removing your dash carefully........the switch part is easy!!

-J

·
Super Moderator
5,025 Posts
many of the people who have this mod are not as savvy as you, so give us a break.

many of us bought these from people who knew how to fabricate them, so who are we to determine what is right and what is wrong?

i have had two units from shane on an 08 armada and now on my 2012 q. i may have been one of the first to get one made for the 2012 q...

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
many of the people who have this mod are not as savvy as you, so give us a break.

many of us bought these from people who knew how to fabricate them, so who are we to determine what is right and what is wrong?

i have had two units from shane on an 08 armada and now on my 2012 q. i may have been one of the first to get one made for the 2012 q...
ok, I may have posted that in haste/frustration........so I looked back at post 264 and see that his (Shane's) reasoning is because he and it seems others want a diode light and he also doesn't like the DPDT switch he found and wants to use a particular switch he likes with a diode. without knowing what switch exactly he's using, i have no idea if a relay is needed with his switch, i would have to see how his switch is configured. either way, there are many many places online to buy DPDT switches, many different types, colors, etc....with and without lights....so pick and choose what you want....either way...with out the schematic on how it works, i cant comment unless you post it and ill review...

If a diode light is what you want go for it, but this mod isn't something that stays on...I have been using it for a good amount of time and there is no need for a light......

Function in "action":
Kid in back seat: "Daddy press play for me please!"
ME: "ok"
ME: (at next stop light) - flip DPDT switch, hit DVD on the dash - (bam, all is disabled) - grab remote, press play/enter.
ME: "ok there goes". (flip DPDT switch back and hit map button to go back to navigation, hit power button on dash so sound isnt played on speakers).
kid in back seat: "thank you daddy" (has headphones on).

A light/diode is a nice feature sure, but this entire action is a "no-look mindless movement"....maybe its me personally but there isn't a need for a light at all....and well, i don't care what the switch looks like...I'm a functionality kinda of guy, so meh...

also, I don't mind making a harness as it seems Shane isnt around anymore, but i'm a very busy person and well i don't need the coin......my wife says i need to stop helping people all the time.....

so if you want one, sure, but understand im not a ship the next day kinda guy....maybe ill make a few and have them stored ready...but i rather post my version of a diagram and see if others can benefit from it. I understand some people don't have soldering irons and skills to soldier/heat-shrink, etc and some rather just "buy the switch set up ready to go" so i get it. sure, message me. ill make one.

But taking the photos and images from others, especially bobeast on post267 who's diagram i liked the most..very clean so i decided to add to his to maybe help others get a better visual of what all is needed.

WIRE DIAGRAM:

I took a moment and color coded via highlight:
Pin 80 - Pink
Pin 81 - Yellow
Pin 82 - Green

I also added the back up camera ANYTIME wire diagram on the right hand side....if you want that feature, wire it up using any Single throw switch OR a DPST switch and u will only use the middle and 1 end post.

-J

Attachments

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
So, i used Radio shack switches....Why, because radio shack is easily available....despite them closing a bunch of stores........someone needs to call ft worth and tell their marketing group they need to change their name to "Digital Shack" or else they all gonna be out of a job soon....best buy killing you guys...

Anywho...

I used the following switches:

On the switch itself there is a N/O and N/C connection. If you connect the wires to the wrong end it wont work - that’s why I post how to wire the wires in the above images showing n/o and n/c in the image wire diagram.

N/O = Normally open
N/C = Normally closed
That’s electrical talk for how a switch works when flipped and on which side.

-J

Attachments

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
This is my install:

Of course you can install the switches where ever you like - I choose here because its inconspicuous and out of the way and easily within reach.

Further If you notice - I oriented the switches to always down for normal operation and up for modified operation. I did that because usually I "think" you would flick the switch accidentally tossing something in the cubby vs getting something out. Meh, whatever, that’s just how I did it.

-J

Attachments

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
The real work to this mod is carefully pulling apart your dash, etc...and well thats not that hard either, but i understand to some it can be overwhelming...

I have friends who i do these mods and others like this for them and the entire time im pulling things apart they are about to pass out....its funny.........like, I'm breaking their car on purpose yet they forget they asked me to do this for them cause they don't have the balls to do it themselves......

just try it....you break something, well tough sheit....go buy another and fix it.....its a learning process. Otherwise, find a shop, pay them big bucks and have someone else break apart your dash/car for you.

Wire diagram from FSM Armada:
remember wire color is obviously not consistent in this mod, but what is consistent is the physical PIN locations....so count from the end and do your connections accordingly. But in this image on the bottom i posted the Nissan color code for the letters to corresponding wires...note they dont always match from what others have posted....for me they semi did...red was more pinkish, but whatever.....just count the locations/spaces....ignore color.

Again remember that:
Pin 80 - Pink
Pin 81 - Yellow
Pin 82 - Green

Also, look at the top right corner of the attached photo...notice how in highlighted yellow is the sketch/drawing of a "human eye" - this aids in understanding that the NISSAN FSM is telling you what side of the wire harness the pin count is referencing.....

So note, that you are looking at the "VIEW FROM HARNESS SIDE", ie, the side the wires pop out of!!!

QX owners:
Further USAFLTG posted on POST 345 his version of relay wire set up....well from his image look only at the top right corner for the pins you need for a 2011- QX56!!

remember wire color is obviously not consistent in this mod, but what is consistent is the physical PIN locations....so count from the end and do your connections accordingly.

Image From post 345:

pin 65 is five count places from the left end. (with the first 3 spots empty)
pin 82 is six count places from the left end. (with the first 2 spots empty)

Further note that pin 81 - is right below pin 65! - this is if you care to do the back up camera on anytime mod.

Knowing this - you will be sure to tap the correct wire....as you cant see the same empty spots on the right end, so you wont be getting the wrong wire. again, view of looking at the harness.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Again, more images of the FSM to help aid your finding of the correct wires: Armada:
Again remember that:
Pin 80 - Pink
Pin 81 - Yellow
Pin 82 - Green

-J

Attachments

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
NOW for FSM...
There are many online links for the FSM for your Nissan. go download the FSM for your year/make and find the same images I posted above and cross reference everything....either way. you should have more than enough from this entire thread on how to take a part your dash (i didnt cover that because well, its covered pretty well already in other images on this thread at the beginning). and find the right wire harness location on the back of your radio.

I have been partial to using the FSM links from here:
http://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/478541-factory-service-manual-fsm.html

I have a coworker named TG.....(yes its a nickname).....he has a 2011 QX with tech package he just purchased used for a great deal. he wants me to do this on his QX as well.....and i will.........i told him to go get the parts from radio shack and ill do it for him.....his lazy azz still hasnt gotten shiet......i get it, people are busy....but once he does, ill take pictures of how i take apart his QX dash and post them up on here. so don't blame me. blame TG.....im waiting on him...

oh, i and i told him he has to get the parts...im not making one for him....hes an engineer just like me....yet he cant wire a dammn switch....nope. hes "gonna learn today!" ("kevin hart voice")

-J

·
Super Moderator
5,025 Posts
well i appreciate you for updating the procedure. i have the button under the dash so its hidden from view. i prefer stealth in this classy ride.

are you up for making these? I may want to pick up a backup just in case....

yes the hardest part in all of this is removing the dash pieces!

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
So if I wanted to have a movie running on the front screen but wanted Navigation running in the background, am I right that I would need two separate switches? One to ground the e-brake wire only so the movie will play on the screen but not interrupt the speed sensing wire so the nav runs properly in the background? But then a separate switch on the speed sensing wire so I can enter new destinations etc while moving?

It seems to me that one switch and two relays or a DPDT switch or relay wouldnt allow the nav to run properly in the background with a movie playing on the screen.

341 - 360 of 377 Posts