Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

361 - 377 of 377 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Speed Sensor Wire?

Hello,

Has anyone discovered the wire for the speed sensor in a 2017 Armada Platinum? I want to put a switch on it so my passenger can use all the NAV functions while the vehicle is moving.

I had done it in my Pathfinder and it worked great.

Thank you

·
Administrator
5,215 Posts
I don,t know if it is the same on the '17, but on the earlier vehicles it is a white wire with a red stripe, going from pin 29 on the instrument panel to the nav unit.

·
Super Moderator
5,023 Posts
Moved your thread here since you are wanting to do exactly what this thread is speaking about.

Its called “VSS” in the service manual. You can find it on the back of the radio harness plug.

You need to tap into the brake parking wire and the VSS.

If you can grab the 2017 service manual look in the audio video section. If the 2017 is not out you can grab the 2016.

They are usually in the same place, but the color scheme may be different.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Thank you marctronixx. In my Pathfinder you only need to put a switch on the speed sensor wire. I'll keep searching for the 2017 manual. I recall in my Pathfinder I needed the manual for the disassembly instructions to get the center console off to get to that wire.

·
Super Moderator
5,023 Posts
but you have the new armada yes?

if so you need both those to enable this "Feature". :)

I have a 2012 qx and the new armada has the same setup so will need the same connections.

you can go to x dot nissanhelp dot com and get the service manual there.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Yes 2017 Armada. No 2017 Armada manual yet on the link you mentioned. Thank you though, I did not know about that site.

I did some research and found a 2015 QX80 manual. Hopefully the same setup but I hate to take apart my center console and not have the right info for the wires. So to confirm the correct procedure, I need to break the VSS and ground the parking brake?

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
5,023 Posts
Ebrake and VSS wire. They are both on the back of the HU because the ebrake grounds out the VSS to tell the HU the car is not actually “moving”.

Yes you will have to remove the transmission shifter boot, the console, the front bezel, and the lower side panels on either end of the front dash center to gain access to the screws to get the HU out.

Don’t necessarily go for the color, go got the PIN location. I did this on my old 2008 armada and when i got the 12 qx, they had different color codes.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
I just realized that I never got rid of my MOD kit which was made by Shane @ tintmasters originally. It is in perfect condition, used it in my 2008 Armada for less than a year.

If anyone is interested PM me. MC

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Any guidance on removing the dash?

Yes 2017 Armada. No 2017 Armada manual yet on the link you mentioned. Thank you though, I did not know about that site.

I did some research and found a 2015 QX80 manual. Hopefully the same setup but I hate to take apart my center console and not have the right info for the wires. So to confirm the correct procedure, I need to break the VSS and ground the parking brake?

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
5,023 Posts
the new armada is made in japan on the same line as the qx.

the procedure to remove to get to the dash is the same.

is the 2016 the same model as the 2017? or is it based on the older platform? me forgets.. :D

well if its the same as the 2016, use that one.

its straightforward, but time consuming.

·
Super Moderator
5,023 Posts
The setup is the same.

You have to remove the headunit to access the VSS and parking brake wire.

You have to remove the tranny shifter finisher, remove the side panels on either side of the middle cluster, this accesses the screws needed to remove the radio.

Pull the radio out and the harnesses are there.

You need to get the 2017 service manual to make sure you have the correct wire color because Nissan may not use the same wire color.

Source: myself. I have a 2012 qx and the new armada is the same interior build with respect to this.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
I did this mod to my 2005 Armada and there is very easy access to the speed wire under the front passenger seat going into the back of the nav unit. Just snip the wire to disable the Nav speed sensor and allow data entry while moving, reconnect it to navigate. The only thing required is a simple on/off switch. Since my switches were off a gang with prewired LEDs, it is easy to see that Nav speed, when connected, is communicated with faster and faster pulses, not a simple 1 or 0, so you have to reconnect the wire for the stock nav system to function. If you attempt to navigate with the nav system speed wire disabled, the truck just spins around on its starting point. Reconnecting the speed wire immediately bring things back to normal, even on the fly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks BLADE. Glad it worked out for you. I'm not trying to get everyone to buy my mod. As you can see it is very simple to do yourself. Good job!

As far as keeping the switch on, You can leave it on all the time unless you want to use the Navi. The Navi will work, kind of. It will be very jumpy and not function correctly. If you do not have Nav. then there is no reason to turn the switch off. Unless you do not want the DVD to display for someone else is driving your vehicle.
Are you still selling these mods, and will they work for a 2015 Armada?

·
Super Moderator
5,023 Posts
i doubt tintmasters is still on here.

you can make one yourself or take the instructions found here and have someone fabricate. its just 2 relays and a switch. you tap into the VSS and park brake.

361 - 377 of 377 Posts