Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend owns a 1999 jeep grand cherokee limited and he wants his family and mine to go camping together but the place requires the vehicle water ford ascend and decend steep hills. So can some one driving either a Qx or an armada tell me if the car is capable of semi-serious offroading

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
SilverQShip said:
my friend owns a 1999 jeep grand cherokee limited and he wants his family and mine to go camping together but the place requires the vehicle water ford ascend and decend steep hills. So can some one driving either a Qx or an armada tell me if the car is capable of semi-serious offroading
How deep is the water, steep is the hill, mud? What tires do you have? rocks? how wide is the trail? Do you have 4x4?
Grand Cherokee will kick our tails off road. I used to own one. However, it is a capable off road machine, about the same as a Tahoe. Stock tires are all but useless on many off-road terrains.
As long as the water isn't deeper than the bottom of the door sills(wouldn't want to flood your QX cabin) and the rocks will clear the transfer cases (we have good ground clearance) and the trail is wide enough and turns will fit our turn radius, you have 4x4, you should be able to make it fine. If the trail is close, maybe have your buddy take you back and take a look. Should be as stable on inclines/declines as a WJ jeep. ;)

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
No Probem

I have had my Armada 4wd in some very steep low traction situations (sometimes towing!) and it does very well, it will out climb my 4Runner but the little one will out-maneuver the battlestar in tight spots. The brake/differential limited slip works quite effectively. The Jeep is a good wheeler but has suspect axles, I have heard of many failures, mainly ring and pinions.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Cillyone said:
I have had my Armada 4wd in some very steep low traction situations (sometimes towing!) and it does very well, it will out climb my 4Runner but the little one will out-maneuver the battlestar in tight spots. The brake/differential limited slip works quite effectively. The Jeep is a good wheeler but has suspect axles, I have heard of many failures, mainly ring and pinions.
'99 WJ had problems, but still it would be a much more able off road vehicle than ours, or the current Grand for that matter. It had solid front and rear axels, which really help off road. Most off road jeepers bought the last of the '04s when the new grand came out and are now wondering what they can get when they wear out. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts