Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have search thru all of the posts I can find on Armada tire issues, size, brand etc. My original OE tires are GY Wranger 265/70/18.
Then I have spent a lot of time on the web and talking to some of the tire dealers and need some help.
1) It seems that most members don't really like the OE tires that came on the Armada i.e. Conti's and Goodyear Wanglers. It seems it is more a ride and performance issue but a few have mentioned poor wearing.
2) I am being told by some dealers not to change the tire size even slightly without changing the spare (I actually asked!!) and some are saying it will be fine to move to a 305/60-18, that it isn't that much different.
3) It is nearly impossible to find any other tire brand in the 265/70/18 but I dont' like the ride with the Goodyears and even though the previous owner ran the tires when the car needed to be aligned, they just seem to be really wearing badly on the inside @ 25K miles.

Any ideas, suggestions or cautions? I am about ready to put those Goodyear 18's back on just say the heck with it!!

Thanks in advance
RA

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
justayear2004 said:
Hi all,
I have search thru all of the posts I can find on Armada tire issues, size, brand etc. My original OE tires are GY Wranger 265/70/18.
Then I have spent a lot of time on the web and talking to some of the tire dealers and need some help.
1) It seems that most members don't really like the OE tires that came on the Armada i.e. Conti's and Goodyear Wanglers. It seems it is more a ride and performance issue but a few have mentioned poor wearing.
2) I am being told by some dealers not to change the tire size even slightly without changing the spare (I actually asked!!) and some are saying it will be fine to move to a 305/60-18, that it isn't that much different.
3) It is nearly impossible to find any other tire brand in the 265/70/18 but I dont' like the ride with the Goodyears and even though the previous owner ran the tires when the car needed to be aligned, they just seem to be really wearing badly on the inside @ 25K miles.

Any ideas, suggestions or cautions? I am about ready to put those Goodyear 18's back on just say the heck with it!!

Thanks in advance
RA
1) Stock tires are crappy. Check the tire rack reviews on them at www.tirerack.com Very poor for traction, handing, quiet, wet, etc. Their only redeeming value is that they last, giving you poor all the above for a long time.
2) BS A spare is meant to get you to a repair shop, not as a permanent replacement. Ask them why they sell so many donuts if one says that too you.
3) There are very few options for you. You want to get 33" diameter, 18" rim tires. I looked and found very few available. How about Michelin Cross Terrain SUV? Comes in 265/70/18. BF Goodrich makes the All Terrain T/A in 285/65/18. I upsized slightly to get the tires/looks, handling I wanted. If I was going to stay with stock rims, I'd go with the BFGs.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts