Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've completed a Rear Air Suspension Delete on my wife's 2009 Armada LE 2WD and I wanted to share some information that is specific to the 2WD trucks.

The only hauling we do with this Armada is our kids and their friends, so I'm not the slightest bit concerned with the overall tow capacity. The air shocks were original (2008 build date stamped on the shock body) and didn't appear to do much in the way of damping. The air system itself had sprung at least one leak and it struggled to maintain a consistent ride height (and therefore alignment settings). Going down a bumpy rural road at speed was a pretty wild ride and the truck always felt "boaty" and very under-damped in the rear. I'm not willing to invest the time & money into fixing the Air Suspension, so out it goes.

Considering how we use this (and the fact that it's 2WD), I also had no interest in raising the truck at either end. I'm currently running Bilstein 5100s up front, with the perch set to the stock height, which results in a Ride height that is roughly Nissan spec (36.1" from ground to top of wheel arch). The goal here was to maintain stock height in the rear as well, which is 36.02" for an LE with air suspension.

The vast majority of the threads here discuss replacement of the rear spring with a Moog 81085, which is a SE non-big-tow rear spring for a 4WD Armada. Most of these threads where people put this spring on a 2WD truck resulted in an increase in ride height. Some people reported 1", others closer to 2", but I didn't want either.

Enter the Moog 81087, which is a SE non-big-tow rear spring for a 2WD Armada. I couldn't find a single thread on the internet where anyone reported using these. I contacted Moog to compare the spring rates for the 81087 and the 81091, which is the LE 2WD spring I would be replacing. In a nutshell, the 81087 is about a 16% increase in spring rate as compared to the stock spring. Full specs are listed below. It's worth noting that the spring I pulled out has a bar diameter of only 0.720" and there's one fewer coil, so it's very possible that the spring rate increase is greater than the Moog specs show.

I paired these with a set of KYB Excel G shocks. Everything came from Rock Auto and was about ~$175 shipped. The springs are 44 lbs/pr, so shipping was almost $20 for those alone. So far, I've driven about 20 miles and I'm very happy with the end result. The truck is far more controllable over rough roads and feels much more stable in general. Despite the springs being higher rate, it doesn't feel over-sprung at all and I could easily see this being a factory suspension (and it was on the SE.. )

Ride height ended up mostly unchanged. Previously, the air suspension would settle somewhere between 35.5-36.0", depending on how long it had been since the pump ran. With the 81087, the ride height is exactly 36" on both sides. I would say that the 81087 is a perfect drop-in for a 2WD Armada, just like Moog's application guide shows.

Hope this helps someone in the future!

81087 (SE 2WD)
16.0937” free height
7” installation height
0.812” bar diameter
534 lbs/in
1865# @ 12.5"

81091 (LE 2WD):
15.375” free height
6.375” installation height
.765” bar diameter
460 lbs/in
1380# @ 12.5”

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Great write up! Did you end up having to use a spring compressor or were they unsprung enough with the car jacked up that getting them out wasn't an issue? How did everything come apart?

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope. No spring compressor needed. The install was very easy, just use your foot to press the a-arm down and fit the spring into place. It’s been 7 months now and the truck still rides great. Definitely worth the investment. Now if the rest of this turd would stop falling apart, I’d be all set!

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Just paid someone else to do it, couldn't find the time. I should have done this years ago, it rides so much better. Yeah, I'm not that impressed with this vehicle, lots of little stuff going wrong. Just need a couple more years out of it and then I'll never buy a nissan again. Had a Murano that I got rid of a couple years ago because that thing was worse than this Armada. Bought a Lexus RX350, that thing has been trouble free. What kind of things have you had to fix on yours?

·
Registered
2010 Platinum 2wd Navy over Black leather
12 Posts
Rontgen i know this is an old post but any pictures of the completed job? As well as a ~2yr ride quality history??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rontgen i know this is an old post but any pictures of the completed job? As well as a ~2yr ride quality history??
Thanks to the OP for all the research. I did the job about 2 weeks ago using moog 81087 and KYB345066. It’s a firm setup and the ride height is level with the front.

Tips: Make sure the flat side of the spring is up top and the directional arrow markings on the rubber boots face arrow out to the road.
although I didn’t need a spring compression tool; Watch your other jacks when using a jack to raise and lower the control arm into place. Warning: This can cause the truck to teeter because of the added compression when lifting. Block the front tires and keep an eye on both the spring/safety when lifting

KYB345066

AF8B961C-9D74-4E31-9E11-53E8FA1AC576.jpeg
154E9FB3-D4B4-4ADC-AC28-E3BCD83C632D.jpeg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts