Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of a problem with the "High Mount Stop Light Assembly" coming off when using a full service car wash? I returned from a week on the Gulf Coast yesterday and decided to have my Armada washed to remove any sand and salt residue. I was informed that they have problems with QX56s and Armadas losing the rear high mount stop light assembly. I was told that it is only held on with 2 clamps and double-sided tape. Needless to say, I did a drive-around and came home and washed it myself.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I've driven my 04 Armada through a full service "put it in neutral, foot off the brake and hands of the steering wheel' car wash at least 4 times since I've had it and haven't noticed any problems with the brake light, although I'll be paying closer attention to it now.. :)

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
I always use the touchless car washes. Are you referring to the ones with the big brushes? Those things scratch the paint something awful.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No brushes. This car wash uses long "ribbons" of some sort material. They seem to do a pretty good job. They have people that prep the vehicle before it goes through and dry it by hand afterwards. I've seen a lot of other fullsize SUVs use it all the time. When I asked what the problem was, they didn't know. I was told that they had it happen to 4 or 5 Armadas/QX56s. There's not that many Armadas around, so the odds don't seem too good if it happened that often. I was also told that the local Nissan dealers wouldn't take any responsibility.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I'm new around here but I had something to add about the problem to which you are referring. The day we bought our Armada that thing fell off when the dealer ran it through their car wash. I had to wait about a week for the part to come in then I took it back and they put a new one on. I've run it through my local car wash about 6 times since then and haven't had any further problems although I have heard of others having this problem. I guess I just figure if it comes off again I'm going to take it back to my dealer and tell them they need to fix it since it fell off once before I even took possession of it.

P.S. This seems like a great forum and I'm glad to be here!

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I talked with the manager at the car wash I go to. I had gone through it twice with no issues. He said that it was the high pressure air blowers at the end. The air catches under that lip and pushes it off. He also said it was held on w/ two clips and double sided tape.

He puts masking tape over the top to keep the air from blowing underneath.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Welcome armadafamilyof4! Feel free to post often- glad to hear that your dealer replaced the part. Nissan's got to know people are going to run these vehicles through various kinds of washes. :)

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Alabama05LE said:
Has anyone heard of a problem with the "High Mount Stop Light Assembly" coming off when using a full service car wash? I returned from a week on the Gulf Coast yesterday and decided to have my Armada washed to remove any sand and salt residue. I was informed that they have problems with QX56s and Armadas losing the rear high mount stop light assembly. I was told that it is only held on with 2 clamps and double-sided tape. Needless to say, I did a drive-around and came home and washed it myself.
I am here just because I was perplexed with the incident that I had this afternoon at the car wash. MY REAR BRAKE LIGHT PANEL DID COME OFF and scratched the rear window. It was the blower wind that got under the part and literally blew it off the Armada. I have been through car washes before and have even used this one before and was never warned of the design flaw. It is indeed a design flaw since it is made of plastic and the mountings sheered off in the wind. My Armada is still under warranty and you can be rest assured that I will have it fixed at no charge. I am not happy about this. I will take plenty of pictures of the design because it appears that I may be in for a fight based upon what I have read. I came here to see if anyone else had this problem and I see that they have. BTW, I am a newby and have been pleased with my Armada until now.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
The Car Wash I goto doesn't use the blower, just 7 teenagers with Chamois going at it like mad. LOL

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Alabama05LE, I probabaly went through the same carwash as you(I'm in Birmigham too) and the attendant put three miles of tape all over the rear of my truck. So much so that the rear window had glue residue all over it cause the lazy wiper person waited about ten minutes in 95 degree weather to remove the tape. I actually had to walk out and remove it myself. I would go to a detail shop where they will hand dry it. Seems the safest route.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Is this problem happening on the newer model years, 05 and 06? I have an 06 and as part of my deal, the dealer threw in a lifetime carwash provision. They took it through it once without incident. Not sure though if it uses the high pressure blowers or not. Will surely check that first thing in the morning. I assume the light in the 06 is attached the same way (clips and double sided tape).

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Ningker said:
Is this problem happening on the newer model years, 05 and 06? I have an 06 and as part of my deal, the dealer threw in a lifetime carwash provision. They took it through it once without incident. Not sure though if it uses the high pressure blowers or not. Will surely check that first thing in the morning. I assume the light in the 06 is attached the same way (clips and double sided tape).
yep its the same on all Armadas. my dealer gave me a month of free washes at a local wash place. Then at one of many early service visits the service rep told me they had had numerous Armadas come in needing replacement lights due to the blowers and at the time there weren't any instock to be had so quite a few people were pissed. I wouldn't take it through an automated washer for fear of this and all the other things that are inherent in auto washes...ie scratches, loss mirrors and wind deflectors.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
don't wrry..most car washes support the Armada..i have even driven the armada into my car wash at my mom's gas station's car wash ;)

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Watch the side mirrors on those gas station wash bays. My son and I sat and watched the passenger side mirror get flopped back and forth as the rotating side brushes passed by. This was even after folding both mirrors in.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Touchless is the best way to go

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Would putting some clear silicone to fill in the edges cure help to overcome this? The Armada is too big, I have no interest in handwashing it. I will take the scratches here and there before spending 1-2 hours washing and drying this pig.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
armadafamilyof4 said:
Thanks for your warm welcome! I've actually been lurking here for quite some time. It seems like a helpful place for us Armada owners!
I bought my Armada LE 2004 new july 2005 and have put it through a full service car wash perhaps 20 times and no proglems at all.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Ditto - no problems so far. Although I'm still a proponent of washing it by hand every so often. It's the only way to keep up with loose fasteners, paint chips, etc etc.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Same here. Put it through wash that uses blowers probably 50 times, no problems. However, I did check before the last wash and there doesn't seem to be anywhere for the wind to get under the plastic.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts