Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I have a new issue with the power liftgate on my 2012 QX. This morning I hit the open button and the liftgate unlatched and opened about 2 inches and then beeped and closed. I hit the opener again and it unlatched partially but didn't open. I couldn't open the liftgate as the secondary latch was still engaged. At this point it wouldn't do anything. So I had to crawl in the back and manually unlatch it.

Now it will unlatch, but will not lift. I haven't dug into fuses or anything at this point but wondered if there is a common failure I can look at on these?

Thanks!
-J

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
so I have a new issue with the power liftgate on my 2012 QX. This morning I hit the open button and the liftgate unlatched and opened about 2 inches and then beeped and closed. I hit the opener again and it unlatched partially but didn't open. I couldn't open the liftgate as the secondary latch was still engaged. At this point it wouldn't do anything. So I had to crawl in the back and manually unlatch it.

Now it will unlatch, but will not lift. I haven't dug into fuses or anything at this point but wondered if there is a common failure I can look at on these?

Thanks!
-J
Can you hear the motor trying to move the hatch? Can you open the hatch manually (not just unlatch it, but open it)? If so, will it stay up on its own, or does it just fall down? Reason I ask is that I don't think the motor is strong enough to open the door without the gas struts, so if your struts have failed (and they do fail), the motor won't lift the door. Replacing the struts is quick and easy to do, and the parts are cheap (Rockauto, Amazon both carry them).

Another common problem is the bolt that hooks the arm to the motor comes loose or fails. To check this, climb in the back with the door closed. Take off the cover where your jack goes (3rd seat will need to be down). You will be able to see the arm that moves up and down with the motor. It should be bolted to a linkage that lifts the door. If it isn't, then get a good bolt and hook it back up. While in there, you can also activate the hatch using the remote or the switch in the back, but keep your hands out of the way so you don't get pinched or worse.

If those aren't the problems, then there is probably something more serious, like a bad motor. But I haven't heard of that happening before. The other two issues have happened to others in the past.

Keith

·
Super Moderator
5,025 Posts
also the door will go into a fail safe mode and cause the motor to disengage. this is for safety. there is a pinch sensor on the door and if it "thinks" there's an obstruction the door can open and close manually but not automatically. you reset this by closing the door manually.

if this is not the issue, it may be something mechanical as Campfam just posted above...

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2005 Armada.. I'll check the linkage tomorrow and Post my findings/fix...

Mine beeps.. makes motor noises,..attempts to open (but doesn't budge an inch),..beeps and closes.. I've been manually opening trunk lid and supporting with a expanding shower rod!!

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2005 Armada.. I'll check the linkage tomorrow and Post my findings/fix...

Mine beeps.. makes motor noises,..attempts to open (but doesn't budge an inch),..beeps and closes.. I've been manually opening trunk lid and supporting with a expanding shower rod!!
If you have to support the lid with a rod, then your gas struts are bad. Replace them (10 minute job), and I'd bet your problem will be solved. I just replaced the gas struts that hold the hood up on my 2000 Nissan Maxima with new struts I bought on Amazon, thing they were around $30 for the pair. Replacing them was very quick and easy.

·
Super Moderator
5,025 Posts
If you read the operators manual, it will explain about the pinch sensor. Its on your windows as well but they wont stop working if they detect an obstruction, they will simply just roll back down.

If your trunk lid opens on its own, perhaps the strut /motor are ok, and it may have been the pinch sensor that disengaged the mechanism...

Just an idea....

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
That did it! Power Trunk repaired! Ordered 2 struts from Amazon for $19.99.. made by ECCPP, Part Numbers:6445PM2052 SG225020

10 minutes to install ... I've done plenty of strut replacements, there are some tricks to release the retainer clip for the ball socket on each end.. and then to turn one end of the strut to face the "nub" ... I used a piece of cardboard and a vice grip around the inner rod and slowly turned it to lock it on.

Works like a charm! A good 15 months of using a darn curtain rod!

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
That did it! Power Trunk repaired! Ordered 2 struts from Amazon for $19.99.. made by ECCPP, Part Numbers:6445PM2052 SG225020

10 minutes to install ... I've done plenty of strut replacements, there are some tricks to release the retainer clip for the ball socket on each end.. and then to turn one end of the strut to face the "nub" ... I used a piece of cardboard and a vice grip around the inner rod and slowly turned it to lock it on.

Works like a charm! A good 15 months of using a darn curtain rod!

Thanks guys!
Thanks for taking the time to come back and report what worked, and for including the part number you used. Finding this allowed me to just order the same part from Amazon and when the struts arrived 2 days later, in about 2 minutes I had the problem fixed. FWIW, this was for my father-in-law's 2011 Platinum, not my 2008, though the part should be the same.

Not that it is rocket science, but the Amazon ad includes a video that shows how to replace them. They are now $22 on Amazon.

ECCPP Struts from Amazon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts