Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Rear not touching window when cold.

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  CDNArMaDa 
#1 · (Edited)
Rear Wiper not touching window when cold.

For any of you living in the colder parts of the US, do you have this problem. We had the truck parked outside over night and the temperature dropped to
-10 degrees celsius. When I next went out in the Armada the rear wiper wouldn't even come into contact with the window...guess the spring in the arm was frozen. Any ideas on how to deal with this..besides moving to Florida.

Joe

#2 ·
Oops wrong thread. I've re-done it in the proper area....could a mod delete this please.

Joe

#3 ·
silicone spray the whole wiper arm when the temp goes up ( I also silicone all rubber gaskets where glass is in contact, to prevent freezing). be sure to use silicone or ptfe (teflon) spray , wd40 tends to cause corrosion and dirt build up if left on. Or... just run the washer long enough to get the wiper arm wet and let the anti freeze inthe washer fluid do its job. make sure that ice build up under the arm is not causing the wiper to stay off the glass this happens alot bacuse of the air, snow, road spray from the roof turbulance ( a rear spoiler my help?????)

BTW how is your drivers side door handle??? any freezing problems yet???

What tires are you using, I know that part of the province can get a pile of snow???

#4 ·
"BTW how is your drivers side door handle??? any freezing problems yet???

What tires are you using, I know that part of the province can get a pile of snow???"

No freezing on the driver's door handle yet, but we garage the truck at home. The time we had the wiper problem was when we were visiting my brother in Kingston. So far this winter southern Ontario in my area hasn't seen enough snow even to bother shovelling it.

Still using the Conti's....Want to get bigger wheels/ tires and save the Conti's and factory wheels for the winter...just have to convince the wife since she is the main driver of the Armada.

Joe

#5 ·
Normally the ice buildup is in the wiper blade and you purchase an enclosed blade to get around that.

Otherwise, I've always 'popped' the arms when I was scraping the ice from the windows to make sure that the arms are clear of snow/ice that might keep them from functioning properly.

#6 ·
Armadaof1 said:
Normally the ice buildup is in the wiper blade and you purchase an enclosed blade to get around that.

Otherwise, I've always 'popped' the arms when I was scraping the ice from the windows to make sure that the arms are clear of snow/ice that might keep them from functioning properly.

Problem is you cannot "pop" the rear wiper to clear the arms, the rear blade is held on a perch when at rest and is not in contact with the glass .(this sometimes works for the front wipers depending on temperature and the spring force of the arm)
And to my knowledge there is no wither type wiper blade available for the 'mada. If you know of one please send along any relevent info.

Our problem specifically is that we get alot of freeze thaw cyles late fall and early spring(even during the day in winter). If the rubber casing on the winter type wiper blade is not 100% sealed, condensation forms inside the casing and the blades freeze anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.