Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just thought i would share my latest upgrade with you.

I now have Bilstein rear shocks fitted to my standard (no lift) 2007 Armada SE

Pretty easy modification really.

Parts Used:

2 x Bilstein 8125 (p.number 33-062518) $75 each from Amazon
8 x Heim spacers (P.number 56702-002-8) $6 each from SAW
1 x 22mm drill bit $10 from amazon

the shocks come with 5/8" I/D and 1 1/2" width rubber bushings but our trucks have 14mm shock bolts and require 1 7/8" wide bushing, this is where the Heim bearing spacers cone in. These spacers are for actual Heim bearings but with this modification they work real well. Please note that the part number for the spacers states for 1 7/8" width but when you order 4 of them(1 for each end of the shocks) you actually only get enough for 1 shock. you need 2 for each end so its a little misleading.

The Heim spacers large O/D is 22mm so to get the spacers to fit you need to drill the rubber bushing in the shocks from both sides. this is very easy on the work bench. i used the drill bit in a cordless drill and just did this by slowly. you need to drill into each side about 0.300" deep. once drilled i used a little Prothane bush grease and pressed the spacers into the bush. to make this easier i slid in a 10mm deep reach socket to hold alignment on both spacers then used a G clamp to ease them in all the way. Do this to both ends.

Next, Jack up the rear of the car and remove the wheels. use a 19mm socket and remove the old shocks, install the new shocks, job done.

the car rides real good, very noticeable difference.

Total time - 1 1/2 hours.

well worth the work and hope this helps anyone wanting to get away from crap OEM and other shocks. i previously had the Rancho 5000 units but they were junk.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,578 Posts
Great DIY! The Ranchos XLs have held up pretty well but I wouldn't mind swapping them out for a set of Bilsteins.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quick update, the Bilsteins are not holding up well. they do not have the correct valving to give the correct dampening needed. i think this is why the lifted truck kits on PRG website have 2 x bilsteins per corner. in my opinion the valving of 260/70 per shock needs to double at least to be worthwhile. what didn't help was that i also have the HD springs (2200lb) fitted so the rebound rate of these plus the weight of the truck makes it very difficult for the shock to capture that.

i am looking at a way to add a second shock but may just have PRG supply a set of Radflo's and be done with it.

it was a good fun doing the mod but a little miffed that i had to fit the Rancho's back on. i will find a good use for the Bilsteins somewhere.

may look at SAW shocks if Greg at PRG ever e mails me back.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top