Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I see several threads on shocks here, but I wanted tocheck consensus on my SV.

I tow. It isn’t a huge amount, but regularly pull 5-6k in an enclosed double axle trailer with 500-700 on the hitch.

a lot of what I’ve read so far deals with trucks with the air system in place, and since I don’t have that (but I’m guessing I have the stiffer spring set) I don’t want to end up sagging even more when I tow my trailer.

ive read conflicting reports on ranchos and on bilsteins... (I’m tempted to just get Nissan since that is what I had and know what to expect, but if I can get better for a reasonable price I’d be on board with that).

any thoughts on shock options for a non-tow armada that tows?

thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm running the Moog 81085 coils with 2.5"spacers and RC N 3.0's in the rear.... The truck rides soooo much better than stock, but have yet to tow with it. Seems like it would be a full improvement based on how planted it is unloaded.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
You are probably right in thinking you have the stiffer springs. I wouldn't know how the OEM shocks are for that model as I was plagued by the air shocks in the rear. I did go Bilstein all around and it rides much better for me! I've added the Firestone Air Helper bags to my rear springs (Moog 81085) but have found I hardly need them. I tow a trailer on occasion that runs about 6500 lbs. with close to 850 on the hitch. With a Weight Distribution Hitch set up there's almost no need for the air helper bags.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the insight. It helps. I think I’ll head on over and. YT some equipment :)

I did go Bilstein all around.
Do you mind if I ask which model you used in your setup?

thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
About 8 months ago, you could get the 5100's for about 650 for all 4 corners from rock auto.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. The 5100s require shaving the mount correct? Are the 4600s any good for the back?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm going the rough country N3.0 3" lift route.... Someone else will have to chime in. But, i believe the 4600's are the OEM.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Reactions: bigj6360

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
That's them, looks like you found a good price too! Easy swap, I went from factory air shocks to these with no fabrication required. The only problem, and quite a common one, may be trying to remove the bolts holding the shocks in place. They tend to seize up with the bushing at the bottom of the shocks. One of mine came off with no problems, the other was so stuck, I finally relented and paid someone at a shop down the road to remove it.

Reactions: Beau

·
Registered
50 Posts
Rock auto sells 4600's specific to the Armada.....

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Check this out:
These guys claim to have an air shock that is more durable than the OEM version.
About $250/pair which is only about $100 more than a pair of Bilsteins.

I am tempted to be the guinea pig to try them out as the firestone air bags I had in my coils finally started to leak on my non-tow / non-air shock 2008 Armada.

hmmmmm

·
Registered
50 Posts
Once I get my current setup done.... I'm going to go the route of digging and configuring a rear air ride system utilizing actual air bags for springs. More to come on that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts