Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know of a better shock that could replace the ProComp 918509 ??

I have a 2nd pair of shocks on the rear for anti-sway stabilization and the ProComp don't ride very well so I'm curious if there are any better shocks that might give a softer ride while still providing the anti-sway stability.

ProComp - 918509

918509 - 9000 SERIES REAR/REAR SHOCK

Extended Collapsed Travel Top Lower Body
(Inches) (Inches) (Inches) Mounting Mounting Diameter

18.59 11.7 6.89 Loop Loop 2.36

1st digit denotes product type: (1=ES1000, 3=ES3000, 9=ES9000)

2nd, 3rd, and 4th digits denotes extended length of the shock. (215 = 21.5”)

5th digit denotes mounting (top/bottom)
0 = loop/loop
1 = stem/loop
2 = loop/stem
3 = stem/stem
4 = 2” loop / 2” loop
5 = LG. stem / 2” loop
6 = LG. stem / lg.stem
7 = 2” loop / LG. stem

6th digit denotes mounting hardware included in the box.

·
Supporting Vendor
70 Posts
Sorry for the delayed response, what size loops do you need?

Monroe has the specs for all their shocks here: http://www.monroe.com/catalog/documents/08_MountingLengthSheet.pdf But they have several different loop sizes. I can also check with the other companies we carry, but they unfortunately don't make their tech specs as public as Monroe.

There are a couple that look promising, specifically Monroe 37098, which has an expanded length of 18.25 and a collapsed of 11.75. That should be a bit softer than the procomp.

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
All I know about the loops is that they have 1/2" bolts through them.

I'd prefer to avoid Monroe shocks because they won't hold up to what I put them through, and the same for KYB GR2. I wore a set of Monroes out on my Durango within 20k miles, which is way too soon IMHO. Bilstein would be my preference, or a KYB Monomax, or something along those lines of avoiding a typical twin tube if possible due to the roughness I need them to endure when driving offroad out to oil & gas drilling well sites, etc.

Thanks!!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Hey Pops,

The Bilsteins 5150 I got can be used either with 5/8 or 1/2 bolts (depends if you insert the metal bushing they provide inside the rubber bushing). I'm guessing it's the same for all 5125s and 5150s. The width of the mounting eye and bushing is 1"3/8. They said 1"1/2 but I measured it and it's not. See if that's the same width as your Ranchos.
Not sure those off-road series would be as soft as you want though.

Paul

·
Supporting Vendor
70 Posts
That was my concern, that the offroad shocks we have are all going to be stiff also. The Bilstein F4-BE5-6251-H6 is about the right length, 18.50 expanded and 12.03 collapsed, but it's a 5100 series, so it's a pretty stiff shock. It might give you a better ride than the procomp, and it will definitely hold up as well or better than it. http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/product.cfm?id=15033

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Woo hoo.... That's what I'm looking for!!!! :D

So, there's no doubt that the loops are the same inner diameter??

I have no doubt that the 5100 series rides better than the ProComp, Rancho, etc white bodied POS shocks. They can rebrand them all they want but they still boil down to the exact same junk just with different brand names stamped on them.

Not that it matters, but are those a body up or body down shock?? Just curious.

Look like time to save up some greenbacks. :D

·
Supporting Vendor
70 Posts
The 5125 and 5150 Bushings are the same, but the 5125s won't come with the inner metal bushing, you'll need to roder those separately if you need them.

I believe those are body up shocks, but with monotubes it doesn't matter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts