Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

For the past 2 weeks I've been hearing what sounds like a tick or creaking sound in the rear of my Mada. It's really noticeable when you turn at really low speeds, but it will do it when you go straight. I don't notice it at high speeds, but only when you start moving from a stand still. I had my wife slowly drive the Mada while I crouched next to it and it sounds like it is coming from the rear end. Any ideas?

Thnx

****Nevermind, I found the post with the TSB on it..... :comphead:

One other question, is this going to ruin my axle if I don't take it in immediately?

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
I went 1000 miles on mine. The dealer said it won't cause any damage, just make noise. After I had him grease the hubs, its been gone since. You should be fine and it isn't a safety issue so schedule an appointment as soon as is convenient. :)

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Has anyone had the issue where the TSB repair on the rear end did not eliminate the noise? Ours went in with this problem and the TSB was performed. A week later, the noise returned. Took it in again and they did the TSB work again plus replaced some mounting bolts (not sure which ones). A week later, the noise returned again. Took it in a third time and they replaced the entire rear axle. A week later, you guessed it, the noise returned.

Now they are saying that the noise is normal and Nissan refuses to authorize the dealer to do any work on my rear end (keep your comments on how that sounds to yourself ;o)).

I just want to know if anyone else has experienced *anything* at all like this?

Thanks...!

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
What is TSB?

Me being the Armada newbie I am...I will bite and ask, what the heck is TSB service? Are you all perhaps referring to the rear trans-axle boots going bad prematurely? Did notice that there are an awful lot of them and thankfully the NISSAN OEM warranty is a looooooooong time on the drivetrain, which I presume would cover axles/boots/splines, etc.

bleasdell said:
Has anyone had the issue where the TSB repair on the rear end did not eliminate the noise? Ours went in with this problem and the TSB was performed. A week later, the noise returned. Took it in again and they did the TSB work again plus replaced some mounting bolts (not sure which ones). A week later, the noise returned again. Took it in a third time and they replaced the entire rear axle. A week later, you guessed it, the noise returned.

Now they are saying that the noise is normal and Nissan refuses to authorize the dealer to do any work on my rear end (keep your comments on how that sounds to yourself ;o)).

Thanks...!

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
sturner06 said:
Me being the Armada newbie I am...I will bite and ask, what the heck is TSB service? Are you all perhaps referring to the rear trans-axle boots going bad prematurely? Did notice that there are an awful lot of them and thankfully the NISSAN OEM warranty is a looooooooong time on the drivetrain, which I presume would cover axles/boots/splines, etc.
This is what he is talking about (TSB) Technical Service Buletins.

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Bulletins/Armada/Year.htm

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
bleasdell said:

Thanks...!
The TSB fixed mine immediately. Not sure why you are having problems. May be a loose suspension part instead of the hubs. Try having someone stand outside and listen to locate while you slowly roll. Mine was the hubs and they have been good since greasing. Nissan can't refuse to fix. First, I'd go to another dealer. That is not correct. Second, if that doesn't work, I'd threaten lemon. :crikey:

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Confirm the TSB?

Can anyone confirm that this is the TSB you are talking about?...

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2004/NTB04-113.htm

If so, am I likely to find any resistance from the dealer if I request this service on an '06 model since the TSB was issued for the '04?

Just checking... I'm going to request it, regardless. My Mada started this noise last week and it is getting pretty annoying.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I have had the same problem with NISSAN consistenly stating that it is the auto leveler and normal. The noise is getting worse and the dealership equally noncompliant. Has anyone narrowed down what is the problem.

06 Armada LE w/Tow Package

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
My dealer finally figured this out...

I should have posted this back when it happened... sorry for the delay...

My dealer finally put some effort into this problem and figured out the problem. His first effort was pretty slack... he brilliantly diagnosed it as the license plate rattling. NOT.

On my second trip back to him, I had the 3500 mile service done and told them to find that noise and fix it. They finally figured it out and it was a number of bolts on the rear suspension that weren't tightened to the proper torque. They told me that they check ALL the bolts and re-torqued them according to factory standards and believe it or not the problem was gone. It hasn't come back in several months and several thousand miles so I guess they got it right this time.

Hope this helps someone else get rid of that ANNOYING tapping noise in the back of the MADA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts