Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just recently bought a 2012 armada platinum with the navigation. To my understanding if it has the nav system, it does not have the compass built into the mirror. Instead it has a tiny little compass looking thing that you can barely see on the screen and you have to have the navigation screen up in order to see it. My question is can I switch out the rear view mirror that doesn’t have it, to the mirror with the compass built in and will it work correctly? I’m new to the group. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
6,193 Posts
not sure if you can swap out the mirror for an OEM nissan mirror with the compass. because you have navigation, this is the reason why the compass is not in the mirror (redundant) . my point is the wiring/ data needed to get to the rearview mirror may be missing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not sure if you can swap out the mirror for an OEM nissan mirror with the compass. because you have navigation, this is the reason why the compass is not in the mirror (redundant) . my point is the wiring/ data needed to get to the rearview mirror may be missing.
Ok thank you, that’s kind of what I was thinking but wasn’t sure.

·
Registered
140 Posts
All of the self dimming/homelink/compass mirrors I've dealt with had the compass as an internal function...As in it doesn't get information from the car that tells it which direction it is pointing, the mirror itself figures it out. Most of them have a orientation procedure that needs to be done after installation so it knows which zone of the country it is in (in order to set proper declination), and to know which direction it is facing. As long as the power, ground, and illumination wires match up, I would think it would work. The only issue I can think of is, I know that some of the higher trim levels also have a self dimming drivers side mirror, and I think that shares info with the rear view mirror, and I'm not sure how that process occurs, so switching mirrors might mess that up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All of the self dimming/homelink/compass mirrors I've dealt with had the compass as an internal function...As in it doesn't get information from the car that tells it which direction it is pointing, the mirror itself figures it out. Most of them have a orientation procedure that needs to be done after installation so it knows which zone of the country it is in (in order to set proper declination), and to know which direction it is facing. As long as the power, ground, and illumination wires match up, I would think it would work. The only issue I can think of is, I know that some of the higher trim levels also have a self dimming drivers side mirror, and I think that shares info with the rear view mirror, and I'm not sure how that process occurs, so switching mirrors might mess that up.
Thank you if I decide to change the mirror I’ll let you know if it works

1 - 5 of 5 Posts