Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I'm in the market for a large three-row SUV and have been looking at possibly getting a used 2018-2020 Armada SV. I've noticed that according to the Carfax reports that a lot of these are ex-rental vehicles. Are there any concerns with buying one? Are these generally reliable vehicles? What should I be looking out for when test driving and inspecting one?

I've already done a bit of research and found some potential issues with the 5.6L V8 like timing chain guides failing, and the cooling system being another problem area but that was for the Titan pickups. Do these problems exist in the Armada?

I've been cross shopping a Sequoia (family has always had Toyotas) but this is my first time considering a Nissan since they seem to offer excellent value for the money. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
thread for reference:

first gen armadas up to later gens.

i think the timing chain issue does not apply to 2018 year armada. this should be the early 2011-2013 ish qx models. when the second gen armada was made on the same line as the 2nd gen qx, those issues with the timing chain should have been resolved.

what "problem" are you referring to in regards to the cooling system? cant speak for the titan but the model years you are asking for are fine.

i worry about rental cars because people abuse them, and a car is only as good as its previous owner. id advise against a rental from ANY car.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 2017 was a rental for the first year and a half of its life and its been fine since I bought it in September. Honestly buying a rental vehicle is always a good option if its from one of the big rental firms like Enterprise, Hertz, Avis. They get an inspection after each rental, they get serviced at every manufacturers recommended interval, any service bulletin that comes out gets taken care of right away. Rental vehicles are generally in great shape mechanically because if there is ever an incident, the company can make the argument that the car was in perfect mechanical shape when they handed it to the customer. Also, rental companies generally only hold onto a vehicle for a year or two before they flip them so they can always have the latest models. Who wants to rent a 2013 model in 2021? What I've always checked on when looking at previous rentals is the interior. Thats generally what gets the most abuse from customers.
Results may vary, but I wouldn't be concerned about an Armada that was a rental. That was an expensive rental, so it didn't get as much use as say a Chevy Cruz. But if you're concerned, take it to a mechanic and have them look it over before you buy it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for providing that link! Looks like owners have just had to replace normal wear and tear items which is promising. Most 1 year old Armadas I've with less than 50k miles seem to be in the high $20s to low $30s range which is within my budget. I'll keep looking for one that's off lease but they seem to be few and far in between.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thank you for providing that link! Looks like owners have just had to replace normal wear and tear items which is promising. Most 1 year old Armadas I've with less than 50k miles seem to be in the high $20s to low $30s range which is within my budget. I'll keep looking for one that's off lease but they seem to be few and far in between.
I just rolled the dice as well and picked up a 2020 Armada SL for the wife (2K miles for 39.5K). We were Toyota for 15 years straight in our younger days (4runners and Tacomas) then the past 10 years we've needed more space so Nissan Pathfinder (3rd row) and Tundra (and a Lexus GS350F as my fun car). I had a 2005 Xterra leave me stranded 165 miles away about 10 years ago, and I hated Nissan ever since. I passed the Xterra down to the wife and she loved it for the few years we had it...more kids came so we moved to a 2009 Pathfinder that we put over 100K trouble free miles on (odo is at 160K right now). It's been one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned and the longest DD the wife has ever had, because so. I was prepping it to sell last night. Hate to part with it, but the wife deserved something newer.
I'm hoping we will be as lucky with the new Armada as we were the Pathfinder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone I'm in the market for a large three-row SUV and have been looking at possibly getting a used 2018-2020 Armada SV. I've noticed that according to the Carfax reports that a lot of these are ex-rental vehicles. Are there any concerns with buying one? Are these generally reliable vehicles? What should I be looking out for when test driving and inspecting one?

I've already done a bit of research and found some potential issues with the 5.6L V8 like timing chain guides failing, and the cooling system being another problem area but that was for the Titan pickups. Do these problems exist in the Armada?

I've been cross shopping a Sequoia (family has always had Toyotas) but this is my first time considering a Nissan since they seem to offer excellent value for the money. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!
180,000 miles and still going strong, hardly any problems other than a bad starter.
knocks on wood

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 2017 was a rental for the first year and a half of its life and its been fine since I bought it in September. Honestly buying a rental vehicle is always a good option if its from one of the big rental firms like Enterprise, Hertz, Avis. They get an inspection after each rental, they get serviced at every manufacturers recommended interval, any service bulletin that comes out gets taken care of right away. Rental vehicles are generally in great shape mechanically because if there is ever an incident, the company can make the argument that the car was in perfect mechanical shape when they handed it to the customer. Also, rental companies generally only hold onto a vehicle for a year or two before they flip them so they can always have the latest models. Who wants to rent a 2013 model in 2021? What I've always checked on when looking at previous rentals is the interior. Thats generally what gets the most abuse from customers.
Results may vary, but I wouldn't be concerned about an Armada that was a rental. That was an expensive rental, so it didn't get as much use as say a Chevy Cruz. But if you're concerned, take it to a mechanic and have them look it over before you buy it.
That is great to know! Definitely puts my mind at ease. I've noticed that used car prices have been steadily creeping up these last few months so I'm going to be watching closely for a good deal to pop up.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Here's my take on used cars as a whole. Used vehicles are always going to be a gamble if you're trying to predict how they've been treated. All vehicles new or used for that matter are a gamble. All you can rely on is making a very solid inspection of the vehicle and doing as much research as possible. Take a full hour without the sales guy/girl around and inspect it to your ability. If you don't have the mechanical ability then bring a friend or a trusted mechanic with you.

My Armada is my 2nd vehicle in 5 years that has been a prior Enterprise rental. The first was my wife's Mazda 5 that she drove for about 3 years. We bought that with about 60k on it and when it was a total-loss last year it had over 100k on it. Flawless, perfect, no issues, very easy ownership experience.

The Armada is also a prior Enterprise vehicle. I have no reservations about this at all. Here's why....

When I was younger and dumber I owned a near new 2008 Honda Ridgeline. I offroaded it, loaded it with dirtbikes and gear, towed, once (accidentally, maintenance minder was reset by dead battery) went 17k between oil changes, got in a really nasty wreck ($9k in damage). That accident only displayed as "Front end damage, air bags not deployed, vehicle driveable". The unibody was tweaked and required extensive repair, radiator was pushed back into the drive belts, etc... Now when I traded that in, it cleaned up beautifully. Cosmetically inside and out it was close to perfect. The dealer actually commented what great shape it was in and said he wasn't worried about the carfax because it showed that airbags didn't deploy (which they did not). Did the next owner have absolutely any idea what life that Ridgeline lived?

Next example, My 2006 Tacoma Xrunner. Mint inside and out. I raced it, frequently. Short shifted, ground gears on too-fast missed downshifts, used up 2 sets of brakes in 2 years, that's how aggressively it was driven. Again, when it was traded in I spent the time to clean it up. The dealer was again impressed with it's condition. New owner has not the slightest idea what life that truck lived.

I take care of my vehicles, I keep them clean and well maintained, but I use them....hard. I'm OCD about maintenance schedules, fluid selection, undercarriage anti-corrosive, waxing/sealing, etc... But, I highly doubt that any time spent as an Enterprise rental is going to be harder on a vehicle than I am.

And now to my Armada. It's previous life as a rental it was on a strict PM schedule, was cleaned weekly or more, most people that drive rentals baby them for fear of charges or damage, and I have a full, extensive vehicle maintenance history and clean carfax. Is it still a gamble? Sure. Now to it's current life. It tows, a lot. Over 60% of all miles that we will put on the Armada will be towing our 4200lb (dry) camper. I don't take it easy on it. I mildly offroad it and I enjoy the HP. It is pristine in and out. However many years down the road when I trade it in or sell it, the next owner will likely not even ask if it was used to tow. They'll only pay attention to how it looks inside and out, engine bay, and chassis. That won't tell the story of how it was used.

And the 2nd part of your post. I shopped Sequoias as well. Coming from a Tundra I knew exactly what to expect for reliability. I wanted to want a Sequoia, but they just don't compare to the Armada. The Armada fit and finish is just higher end. The Armada also tows the same camper with much more confidence and enthusiasm than the Tundra did. I attribute this to the much more modern powertrain and 7 speed transmission.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good Morning!

So, after a great deal of research, I've settled on an Armada for my next vehicle. What actually sold me was a friends QX, but to me not worth the difference in price. I've read through all here, and just figured I'd introduce myself and other than the obvious cosmetic stuff, does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for when I inspect? It is a 2019 SL, getting from Enterprise as used vehicle. Mileage a little high (43K) but given what I've read, not too worried about it. I will be occasionally towing, usu. a 20' boat on a tandem trailer, which is way below the max towing, but I like overkill. From reading on here and research, the only real concern looks to be a starting issue that seems somewhat common across the board on the gen 2's. Has there been any specific reason found for it yet? Not overly concerned as I've been wrenching on my own vehicles since HS, but as I get older, I want to wrench for fun, not need. I also don't bend as well as I used to!...lol

Anyway, any guidance/advice is welcome.

thanks folks - will post pics once get it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Welcome. 2018 here.
Starting issue is sporadic across the board. I wouldn't call it wide spread.

To the best of my ability it seems to be related to battery health/voltage. It could also be a rushed sequence of brake and start button. It's only happened to me twice in about 18 months. 1st time was during multiple short trips around town, on and off about 3 times in 10 minutes. 2nd time I know I rushed the sequence or didn't push the start button fully.

If you're talking about the brake switch. Also sporadic. The apparent fix is to go with a different nissan switch than listed for the Armada. Good info on that and part number in the BCI thread. I carry an extra in the glovebox, it's like a $17 part.

Good luck. I tow constantly and it's our road trip vehicle. Love the Armada.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome. 2018 here.
Starting issue is sporadic across the board. I wouldn't call it wide spread.

To the best of my ability it seems to be related to battery health/voltage. It could also be a rushed sequence of brake and start button. It's only happened to me twice in about 18 months. 1st time was during multiple short trips around town, on and off about 3 times in 10 minutes. 2nd time I know I rushed the sequence or didn't push the start button fully.

If you're talking about the brake switch. Also sporadic. The apparent fix is to go with a different nissan switch than listed for the Armada. Good info on that and part number in the BCI thread. I carry an extra in the glovebox, it's like a $17 part.

Good luck. I tow constantly and it's our road trip vehicle. Love the Armada.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
in contrast i had a 2012 qx fully loaded and had ZERO issues with it. dyno oil replaced every 3K at the dealer. maintenance done per schedule. zero issues and I drove it like a rental.

a used car is only as good as its previous owner(s). make sure you look at the maintenance records and any recalls or tsb's.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Good Morning!

So, after a great deal of research, I've settled on an Armada for my next vehicle. What actually sold me was a friends QX, but to me not worth the difference in price. I've read through all here, and just figured I'd introduce myself and other than the obvious cosmetic stuff, does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for when I inspect? It is a 2019 SL, getting from Enterprise as used vehicle. Mileage a little high (43K) but given what I've read, not too worried about it. I will be occasionally towing, usu. a 20' boat on a tandem trailer, which is way below the max towing, but I like overkill. From reading on here and research, the only real concern looks to be a starting issue that seems somewhat common across the board on the gen 2's. Has there been any specific reason found for it yet? Not overly concerned as I've been wrenching on my own vehicles since HS, but as I get older, I want to wrench for fun, not need. I also don't bend as well as I used to!...lol

Anyway, any guidance/advice is welcome.

thanks folks - will post pics once get it.
Welcome! I’m very new as well! I think you’ll end up loving this platform! Originally we were after a QX80, but there is no reason for one when you get the leather in the SL.
Picked the wife up a 2020 SL with a few thousand miles on for Christmas. I DD a newer Tundra on a really nice suspension setup, and also a Lexus GS350F.....I’ve been stealing her Armada every chance I get!! Lol!!! And I can’t stop modding it. Almost every day I’m doing something more. Today was a very quiet but classy sounding Magnaflow muffler, last night was Thule roof racks (no good pics yet but made it even better) and LED’s LOL. When I first picked up last month our friends were kinda like - ahhh Nissan huh. They can’t believe the transformation now, it’s gorgeous. :) Lots of compliments. And I think I’m finally done with mods for now. Might gloss black the calipers and vinyl over the wood interior trim.
Build thread if interested
2020 MomMobile - hopefully lifted on 35’s soon

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
qx has the HBMC which is worth its cost. one has to drive it to appreciate it. There are subtle extras on the qx that justifies its cost, but this is a pro armada forum so most cats here will opt for the armada.

bottom line is this model (qx and armada) are solid performers and are competitive with other options in their price range. there are a LOT of satisfied owners who don't post here because the car is solid. forums attract owners with issues.

·
Registered
44 Posts
qx has the HBMC which is worth its cost. one has to drive it to appreciate it. There are subtle extras on the qx that justifies its cost, but this is a pro armada forum so most cats here will opt for the armada.

bottom line is this model (qx and armada) are solid performers and are competitive with other options in their price range. there are a LOT of satisfied owners who don't post here because the car is solid. forums attract owners with issues.
I’ve driven both, although not back to back. I don’t recall much difference, is it really that noticeable? The QX had 22’s and Armada had 20’s. I’ve heard good things, but bad things about HBMC. I personally don’t like how Nissan went all technical with the rear air shocks/compressor on the Armada and HBMC just expands that. Just more opportunity for part failure. I’ll take coils and shocks. This is our first IRS vehicle ever owned, so as far as the ride quality goes, it’s amazing in our eyes. Coming from all solid rear axle vehicles (4Runners, Xterra, Pathfinder).

·
Registered
44 Posts
hbmc is a MAJOR MAJOR difference. driving it once or twice is not going to show it off.
If HBMC was a “major major” difference, wouldn’t it be more noticeable, vs not? That statement doesn’t make sense.
I’d wage you’re a QX/HBMC owner....have you ever experienced a true off-road setup, I.E. Kings?

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
our discussion is getting off topic with the thread. the armada does not have it and since the OP is speaking about armadas let's keep this focused on such.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts