Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife drives a 2010 Armada SE with 130,000 miles. For a while, it has been doing the intermittent one click after a key turn and required a second or third key turn to start. We haven't been driving a lot during Covid, and it always started, so I thought maybe the battery was getting g weak just sitting most of the time.

This morning it wouldn't start at all. I took the battery to the auto parts store and they tested it at 625 amps, so a little low but within tolerance. I replaced it. That did not help.

After some google searching and reading I learned about the IPDM and the ECM relay. So one brand new relay from the dealer for $3, and it still wont start.

I figured it was the starter, so I followed the directions, took the intake manifold off, took the old one out, and put a new one in. After putting the new starter in, we considered closing up tomorrow, and reconnected the battery to lock the car. The second we reconnected the battery, the new starter started spinning like crazy even though the ignition is off.

Now I'm at a loss. Why on earth would the starter spin with the key off? And it didnt seem to be cranking the engine, which still has no intake manifold, so I wonder if I didnt get it seated properly. All the bolts went in fine.

Suggestions? Ideas? Please?
I tried searching for this problem but I cant find anyone else experiencing this.

·
Super Moderator
5,554 Posts
yeah thats a new one ive not seen.

maybe the starter is faulty? can you swap the old one back on to rule out there is an issue with your wiring?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah thats a new one ive not seen.

maybe the starter is faulty? can you swap the old one back on to rule out there is an issue with your wiring?
I can put the old one back but I'm pretty sure it's dead. We applied power to the old one straight from the battery and it just sits there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey I’ve seen this exact thing on a starter replacement video on YouTube. They were replacing a starter they just put in because it was trying to start as soon as they hooked the battery terminal. They determined that there was a short in the starter. Not sure if this is your problem but it sounds like it.

Here’s the link to the video (Skip to about 5min and 30 seconds):

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey I’ve seen this exact thing on a starter replacement video on YouTube. They were replacing a starter they just put in because it was trying to start as soon as they hooked the battery terminal. They determined that there was a short in the starter. Not sure if this is your problem but it sounds like it.

Here’s the link to the video (Skip to about 5min and 30 seconds):
Thank you! That's EXACTLY what it's doing. Maybe it's just a bad part?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you! That's EXACTLY what it's doing. Maybe it's just a bad part?

i would say so. In the video, the starter’s connector was unplugged but as soon as he touched the terminal to the battery, the starter spun. So to me it sounds like a short. Maybe get an OEM starter if it’s not too much more?

·
Super Moderator
5,554 Posts
yeah to me it just seemed like the refurbed starter may have been faulty, but wanted to rule out an issue with your electrical system, hcne asking about the old starter.

even if the starter was bad, if there was an issue causing power to be applied to the starter , you would see some kind of reaction from it.

hopefully its as simple as replacing the starter. keep the class updated! :)

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Not sure where you got your starter from, but a reliable source and and probably the best prices around would be at RockAuto. I would go with new over a reman'd. This link is for your 2010 and the top 3 should be the new ones under the blue banner and the reman'd underneath those.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts