Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the high beam headlights on a 2018 Armada SV? I hate the yellow looking dim high beams that are standard on the SV. I do not want to go with HID but I would like to hear someone's experience with LED.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Extremely easy to replace. Get yourself an LED. HID lights have very low life expectancy and it will flicker like crazy on you.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
High colour temperature LEDs are useless as high beams. The wavelength of the light dissapates quickly in a reflector not specifically designed for LEDs. You’ll experience brighter light in front of you, but diminished performance down-road (where you wants the high beams to shine.

Further reading: https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

The Armada uses an H9 bulb, which is actually pretty good for a halogen. Many people mod this bulb into their H11 sockets for more light.

Unfortunately there isn’t much in the way of aftermarket for this bulb. I really looked into it, but decided to stick with stock. I wish Nissan used a projector for the high beam.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
High colour temperature LEDs are useless as high beams. The wavelength of the light dissapates quickly in a reflector not specifically designed for LEDs. You’ll experience brighter light in front of you, but diminished performance down-road (where you wants the high beams to shine.

Further reading: https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

The Armada uses an H9 bulb, which is actually pretty good for a halogen. Many people mod this bulb into their H11 sockets for more light.

Unfortunately there isn’t much in the way of aftermarket for this bulb. I really looked into it, but decided to stick with stock. I wish Nissan used a projector for the high beam.
I have my high beam and fog lights changed to LED and it is so much brighter. I dont know what you mean by decreased performance but that is not true. The omly decreased performance would be during a stormy weather. White lights make it harder to see when it is snowing like crazy.

I do know that changing any lights on your vehicle from the factory to any aftermarket LED lights could potentially void your warranty. The electronic current of a LED only goes one way while factory goes both. It is what makes your dash warning turn on, when one of your lights go out, if your vehicle has that option. My electronics manager can explain it better than I can, but that is an easy run down.

Example: when you change your subaru interior lighting to LED there is a chance that the light fuse will pop. When that fuse pops all your keyless entry buttons will fail. If you take it to the dealership, you will loose your manufacturer's warranty.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
The high-beam lighting unit is not designed for LED or HID lights. It's explained in detail in the link I provided.

Why is performance decreased?
1) Because the lightning unit isn't engineered for LED, the unit on the Armada was made for a halogen bulb that is omnidirectional. LEDs only light up at the diodes.
2)and because the wavelength of white/blue light is shorter than lower temperature colours. Because of this, the light is scattered about intensely within a short area (giving an impression of superior brightness), but most importantly doesn't have a longer throw because it dissipates quicker.

That said, I believe the high colour temp, aftermarket LED's are okay for interior, plate and backup lighting. For reflector housing headlights designed for halogen, they don't. I'll stick with the halogen H9s and not risk melting my headlight housing (Another risk of aftermarket headlights. I've seen enough of this to steer clear).

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I live in Reno NV and travel to Montana every year. Going through jackpot valley is always hard at night because of how dark it is. When I first got my 2017 Armada we traveled through that highway and had to stop because there was too many desert rats passing by and we were concern that a big animal would chase it up the street. Im talking about 1 rat/mouse every 2 seconds of driving. Last year, i installed a Heise H11 on the high beams and we did not have to stop because it lit up the street and the side of the street. All these scientific explanations of how it wont be better is a lie. Because my shop does about 100 LED lights per year to help them see better. Reno is the biggest town around here and we have a bunch of country sides that needs bright lights. I tell you what, you buy an LED light for your high beam and if you think its not bright enough, I will buy it from you.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I bought these and they are nice and bright, I don’t have enough posts to put the link in....just do a search on amazon
Mdatt H11/H8/H9 LED Headlight Bulbs - 100W 12000LM - High/Low Beam,Fog Light Bulb Conversion Kit - DOT Approved - 360 Degree - IP68 Waterpoorf

On a side note I also replaced my fog lights with led ones. They make them in dual colors. White and yellow. When you turn them on they are white, turn them off and back on and they switch to yellow.

H1 Led Headlight Bulb, 8000LM Extremely Bright Dual Color (6000K/3000K) Anti-Flicker Conversion Kit Halogen Bulbs Replacement - Cool White/Golden Yellow - 2 Years Warranty

1 - 10 of 10 Posts