Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have seen some people say cut it out, not sure where they go about this... I have a reciprocating saw.
The air line also won’t come out...PITA.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Do you have a torch? You can pick up a cheap one from AutoZone (or its competitors ) for like $15 or less. Heat up the nut and spray WD-40 (PB Blaster smells better though) into the threads. The heat and expanding nut will suck it in. You'll have to do that a few times, and then try to break the nut loose. All of my shock bolts were a PITA when I replaced the shocks.

A 1/2" impact gun also helps out big time. I bought a Milwaukee 1/2" cordless dugga-dugga after dealing with some stubborn nuts/bolts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a cordless Dewalt with a 1/2" connector (it's interchangeable though). Doesn't seem to put a ton of torque on it. I just need to break it free, I think. Other three came out without issue, just this bottom driver's side one.

Stupid air hose won't disconnect from this one either and I think I buggered up the valve release trying for it. Probably need to just pull it out when I get the shock off. Other one of those was difficult as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, I do have a torch, I'll try that tonight. Was a bit afraid with the rubber there though. Also things been soaked in enough WD40 and PB to start a grill at this point. Should have evaporated by now though.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
I'd like to think that if three of the nuts broke free then you'd eventually have luck with the fourth. Try the torch. I believe I've read somewhere that steel expands .001" per 100*F increase... or something like that.

Are you able to rotate the bolt head to access the entire circumference ? That can help when applying heat.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn’t budge one bit, no rotating. There isn’t a nut on it though, it’s threaded into the carrier. I’m gonna grab a new bolt tonight, hopefully Nissan or Infiniti Dealer has one on hand. Fingers crossed for the heat. I think it’s also bound into the shock like you said, but I’d think it’d give a bit if that was the whole truth. I guess worst case I have to pound it out and I just get a nut to fit the other side if the threading doesn’t work anymore.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I use a 1/2" ratchet and a 6 foot jack handle on top of it. I have loosened things up to about 350 ft lbs of torque.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use a 1/2" ratchet and a 6 foot jack handle on top of it. I have loosened things up to about 350 ft lbs of torque.
We broke a 1/2" 6-pt socket with a breaker bar with both my dad and I lifting. That's dad strength x2. Or is it squared because I am his kid but also a dad?

Anyway, easily 100K ft lbs with both of us. Didn't budge. I got a big ol' pipe to try tonight.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
My guess is that you're going to break the bolt, or tear the threads right out of her.

Do you have a replacement nut/bolt? I just went to a hardware store and found a similar size diameter/length to fit. Since it's not a control arm or steering related bolt, Grade 8.8 or whatever they had, was good enough.

At this point I'd just cut the bajezus thing off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My guess is that you're going to break the bolt, or tear the threads right out of her.

Do you have a replacement nut/bolt? I just went to a hardware store and found a similar size diameter/length to fit. Since it's not a control arm or steering related bolt, Grade 8.8 or whatever they had, was good enough.

At this point I'd just cut the bajezus thing off.
Picked up 2 new ones at the dealer this morning in prep. I'm assuming the things gonna be buggered up. I'm just afraid of stripping the carrier when I get the bolt out. Part of me thinks that I could just replace it with a nut and bolt combo.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the bolt came off with some good old fashioned elbow grease and massive torque from a 30” pipe.

However, the air line didn’t come out and eventually broke off in the valve. I put it back together; it’s drivers side so easy enough to fix it seems. However, I want to disable the compressor until I fix it, maybe even during warmer weather... that should be fine, right? I’m assuming maybe a fuse or something to pull somewhere?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Feeling the same pain right now. Rounded the nut with too much torque and now I'm trying a nut extractor to no avail.

Also struggling with the air line and feel like I must be doing something wrong. Anyone got advice for a newbie here?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Feeling the same pain right now. Rounded the nut with too much torque and now I'm trying a nut extractor to no avail.

Also struggling with the air line and feel like I must be doing something wrong. Anyone got advice for a newbie here?
I ended up breaking the air line. I stripped it and inserted it like stripping a wire and reinserting. It's working fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts