Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Nissan wanted over $1600 for a rear air suspension replacement on an 07 mada. (102k miles) So I got the Suncore replacement. Took an hour or more to remove the shock bolts. Nissan doesn't lube them, and although the compressor and shocks were replaced at 50k under warranty, still no lube. Lowerbolts had
peened rusted threads, and were actually bent. Once again, brass plated, non torque rated bolts against steel, with no lube. Had to use a breaker bar and hydraulic jack to break them loose.
Lesson- replace bolts whenever replacing the shocks, upper and lower. They are proprietary, poorly designed, and only available through nissan-$4. Each. I went to 3 different fastener/bolt suppliers in Houston. No one had bolts that would work besides nissan.
Lesson, on install, lube the bolts and coat the threads with permatex 333 where they go through the shock.
Once I got the oem crap off the car, it took 15 minutes to put the new compressor and shocks in. Recommend installing new air lines as well, it's a cheap addition. You need 20 feet of new air line. I recommend getting 20 feet of 3/8" inside diameter tubing, rubber or plastic, as a protective sleeve. Run the 1/8" air line inside the 3/8" protective sleeve before install. Attach to existing air lines with cable ties/tie wraps for positioning.
On inspection after removal, shocks had no leaks, but bled air through deteriorated air bags. All o-rings on snap in pressure fittings were deteriorated, worn out and had dirt in them. Lesson- on replacement, after insertion of air lines into pressure fittings, seal with silicone rubber or marine grade sealant to keep dirt out and minimize vibrational wear. Wipe down air line ends to clean with acetone before insertion. Allow to completely dry so acetone does not contact internal o-rings.
Oem dessicant cannister had liquid water in it. Since car has never been deep enough in water to reach aluminum wheels, let alone compressor, desicant cannister should be replaced every two years. Suncore desicant cannister is an improved design over oem. Popped compressor crank case cover off oem compressor. Although it's an oil free design, the oem compressor had water in the rusted compressor crank case. (3 years old). The air intake hose for the compressor runs from the front of the compressor up to the frame, drawing air from inside the frame. This is to get the intake above any water and minimize dirt and dust.
After removal of the oem compressor, I picked up the Suncore. My keys stuck to the side of the Suncore electric motor housing. There was no magnetic attraction anywhere on the oem compressor. The Suncore has a stronger motor than the oem unit. Oem compressor wires enter case through rubber grommets, unsealed. Suncore wires are both protectively sleeved, and sealed where they enter the case. Cranked the car up after reassembly- car lifted faster than new armada raises. And it lifted higher. So factory oem set up allowed the suspension to sag even though at full factory pressure, nissan said the system was perfect. So now I have to lower the sensor setting 1/2" back to level. (1 turn).
If nissan had lubed the parts and bolts, it would have been less than a one hour job, start to finish. Removed snap in pressure fittings from oem air shocks for inspection. O-rings were completely worn out. Brass compression fittings had corrosion from water, and dirt dust residue. Again... Brass fitting against steel shock body. Proof that nothing nissan is designed to last. Hopefully, application of silicone rubber/marine sealant will keep fittings air/dust/water tight. Now I just need to figure a way to route the air intake line up into the rear fenderwell area inside the car and put a dessicant/moisture trap on the intake. Existing design removes water from air coming out of compressor, going to shocks. But you still have ambient undried air entering the compressor generating condensation. You need dry air at all points to make system last past 5 years...or less. And, the pressure maintaining valve must remain clean, dust and water free, in order to maintain efficiency of the pressure regulating valve.

Bottom line- Suncore has easy to install, high quality, reasonably priced equipment. They also have manual airshocks for the armada, auto height sensing systems, and wireless remote air shock systems. I carry a spare offroad compressor in the aft wheel well compartment. If one were to locate the suspension compressor inside the car, it would eliminate half the system problems. My offroad compressor makes less noise and has less vibration, sitting on concrete, than the oem compressor, installed on bushings, in the car.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Thanks for posting your experience with the Suncore setup. My '05 OE setup is still working fine, but it is good to know there are options out there.

How is the shock damping with the Suncore? Any ride/handling comparison to the OEM?

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ride is smoother, going over railroad tracks is quieter and less abrupt. A more comfortable ride. Haven't put my trailer on it yet to check it out under load, but so far, It's better than the mada was when new. No difference in cornering or lean.

Thanks for posting your experience with the Suncore setup. My '05 OE setup is still working fine, but it is good to know there are options out there.

How is the shock damping with the Suncore? Any ride/handling comparison to the OEM?

·
Registered
12 Posts

Hi F4N4EVR, i know your post is old but I am trying to get some input from users about the Suncore suspension product. I am in the works to order the air compressor and want to know how has your experience been? ride quality? how long did the product last for you? here is the link to the product I am about to order.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts