Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've been reading about the timing advance and ECU resets over at clubtitan.org. Some pretty interesting stuff! SCR38 can I'm sure answer any tech questions (as he's the guru here) but I wanted to post these procedures for our site as well.

Apparently what happens is that the ECU in our vehicles "learns" how you drive, and over time you can lose some horsepower/torque if you don't drive the vehicle hard for a period of time. These procedures will reset the ECU back to stock specs and can get you back any lost horsepower. The concensus is that this is a good thing to do from time to time to set everything back to "default". These instructions were found over at the technosquare website- an authority on performance. That said, here you go:

From Technosquare website:

Please read all instructions and be familiar with them before any attempts.
A stop watch or an analog clock with a second’s needle will be useful.

ECU Resetting Procedures

Timing is extremely critical. If it is NOT DONE within the specify time, the ECU will not reset and the Check Engine Light (CEL) will continue to remain ON. A stop watch or an analog clock with a second’s needle will be useful.

Operations Procedures

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
2a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).
2b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.
4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)
5. Wait about 10 second.
6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.
7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).
8. Turn ignition switch to “OFF” position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone.
If the CEL light continues to remain ON, repeat the above steps. Timing is EXTREMELY critical to resetting the ECU.

Accelerator Pedal Release Position Learning
Operation Procedure

1. Make sure that the accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
3. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
4. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
5. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.

Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning
Operation Procedures

1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch is “ON”.
3. Turn ignition switch is “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
Make sure that the throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

Idle Air Volume Learning (Throttle Position Learning)
It is better to count the time accurately with a clock.
Operation Procedures
1. Perform “Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning”.
2. Perform “Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning”.
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.
5. Conform that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
6. Repeat the following (steps 7a, 7b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
7a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD)
7b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the Check Engine Light (CEL) stops blinking and turned ON.
9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the CEL is ON.
10. Start engine and let it idle.
11. Wait 20 seconds.
12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure the idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.

I just did this on my Armada and will report back if there's any noticeable difference.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Just did this today and boom, runs like a raped ape. Turned off the VDC and did a few peelouts with the 20s. Nice. :teeth: :excellent

Any idea how often you should do this to maintain the original settings. I know the brain "learns" your driving habits and adjusts accordingly. Also, is it based on mileage or number of times it is started. Since I try to use cruise a lot to save fuel on the highways, I would think if it is by miles this would need to be done often. Thanks ;)

BTW, if you haven't tried this yet and your Mada is broken in, give it a shot. I broke mine in really gently and as a result it was a kitten, not a tiger. Now to try it on the G35. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
LOL definetly try on the G35 well when i got time im gonna go try on the Q. O triple you gotta post some vids of your peel outs n crazy $hit

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just did this today and boom, runs like a raped ape. Turned off the VDC and did a few peelouts with the 20s. Nice. :teeth: :excellent

Any idea how often you should do this to maintain the original settings. I know the brain "learns" your driving habits and adjusts accordingly. Also, is it based on mileage or number of times it is started. Since I try to use cruise a lot to save fuel on the highways, I would think if it is by miles this would need to be done often. Thanks ;)

BTW, if you haven't tried this yet and your Mada is broken in, give it a shot. I broke mine in really gently and as a result it was a kitten, not a tiger. Now to try it on the G35. 👍
Hey all,

I've been reading about the timing advance and ECU resets over at clubtitan.org. Some pretty interesting stuff! SCR38 can I'm sure answer any tech questions (as he's the guru here) but I wanted to post these procedures for our site as well.

Apparently what happens is that the ECU in our vehicles "learns" how you drive, and over time you can lose some horsepower/torque if you don't drive the vehicle hard for a period of time. These procedures will reset the ECU back to stock specs and can get you back any lost horsepower. The concensus is that this is a good thing to do from time to time to set everything back to "default". These instructions were found over at the technosquare website- an authority on performance. That said, here you go:

From Technosquare website:

Please read all instructions and be familiar with them before any attempts.
A stop watch or an analog clock with a second’s needle will be useful.

ECU Resetting Procedures

Timing is extremely critical. If it is NOT DONE within the specify time, the ECU will not reset and the Check Engine Light (CEL) will continue to remain ON. A stop watch or an analog clock with a second’s needle will be useful.

Operations Procedures

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
2a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).
2b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.
4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)
5. Wait about 10 second.
6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.
7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).
8. Turn ignition switch to “OFF” position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone.
If the CEL light continues to remain ON, repeat the above steps. Timing is EXTREMELY critical to resetting the ECU.

Accelerator Pedal Release Position Learning
Operation Procedure

1. Make sure that the accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
3. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
4. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
5. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.

Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning
Operation Procedures

1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch is “ON”.
3. Turn ignition switch is “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
Make sure that the throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

Idle Air Volume Learning (Throttle Position Learning)
It is better to count the time accurately with a clock.
Operation Procedures
1. Perform “Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning”.
2. Perform “Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning”.
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.
5. Conform that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
6. Repeat the following (steps 7a, 7b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
7a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD)
7b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the Check Engine Light (CEL) stops blinking and turned ON.
9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the CEL is ON.
10. Start engine and let it idle.
11. Wait 20 seconds.
12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure the idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.

I just did this on my Armada and will report back if there's any noticeable difference.
I have gone thru this procedure multiple times and each time the CEL stops blinking before the last 10 sec step. Could this mean my ECU is bad?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts