Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a 2012 Armada SL and it has a problem with the 3rd row seating not always working. The right side works all the time when I press the button. The left side is hit or miss. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's the only vehicle I have with room to haul large stuff, and right now it's stuck in the up position.

Tonight I went to put the seat down, and I heard the motor make a sound for a second like it wanted to move, but then right away the sound stopped. I pressed the button again and nothing, not even a motor sound. This has happened a couple of times in the past two months.

I don't know if it's the switch or if it's the motor. If it's the motor, does anyone know the part number for the left side 3rd row seat motor? Or part number for the 3rd row switch? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey welcome to the forum. Have you tried the switches behind the passenger side 2nd row?
Yeah, same there. The passenger side 3rd row seat moves but not the driver side 3rd row. Doesn't even make any sounds when I press the buttons for the driver side.

So, I had the Armada diagnosed by a dealer, and they told me that the RH motor is getting power, but the LH motor isn't. They check the switches and the switches are fine.

They said I need to replace the motor which is part #89350-ZV50C which is not cheap, and with labor, it comes out to a little over $1600.

There is no way I can swing that at the moment, so I am going to attempt to replace it myself. Does anyone know where I can find instructions on how to replace the 3rd-row seats? Supposedly the LH and RH motors are not sold separately. You have to buy the entire seat bottom that comes with the rail and motors. I prefer to purchase just the LH side motor if possible.

Anyone have any advice they can give me on this?

Below is the only link I can find on this, but I'm not sure if it is identical to a 2012 Armada.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Section SE of the Service Manual, page 35 for diagnosis, page 96 for disassembly of 3rd row left power seat.

$20.79 for the CDROM: "all the parts your car will ever need"

Search for: "DAVE GRAHAM 11NARMC"

Or, put more quarters in the machine at that site that has all the data DIY

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE FOR ANYONE WHO HAS THIS PROBLEM IN THE FUTURE

I finally got around to fixing this issue. I searched on eBay for 3rd-row seats where I could see that the motor and modules were intact. I ended up buying a complete 3rd-row seat out of a 2012 Armada that matched my interior.

I began removing the original 3rd row out of my Armada yesterday and I will give a fair warning to anyone who attempts this repair in the future. A power impact wrench with smaller impact sockets/extensions will come in handy. Some of the nuts and bolts are a pain to get off and the extensions will help with some that are in areas hard to reach.

1. I started off by removing the rear cargo lid and lining.
  2. Once the lining is removed you will seat several wire connections. The power for the seats starts from the driver's side and works its way toward the passenger side. The wires don't need to be removed, but you need to disconnect the wires from the plugs under the seats. They come out easily by pressing on the connection tabs with a flat-bladed tool.
  3. Then removed the bolts that were visible from behind the passenger side seat. There are three of them if I remember correctly. I was able to remove these with a ratchet and extension for the one closer to the wheel side.
  4. Then I opened the passenger side door and folded the 2nd-row seat up so that I could access the front of the 3rd-row seat.
  5. There are plastic pieces that cover the legs and bolts of the 3rd-row seats.
  6. Remove the plastic pieces using a trim removal tool if you have one. A flat screwdriver should work, but a trim tool would be safer to not mess up the plastic cover.
  7. There are small bolts at the base of the legs, under those caps, that are a real pain to remove with a ratchet. I ended up using an electric impact wrench to remove them. Removing those bolts will allow you to raise the lower part of the seat so that you can access bolts that were inaccessible before.
  8. There is a bolt between the wheel side and the seat that needs to be removed.
  9. There are also two bolts holding a seat belt bracket that will need to be removed as well. This seat belt bracket sits on top of both the passenger side and driver side 3rd-row bench mounts.
  10. Once the seat belt bracket bolts are removed, slide the seat belt down and out of the way before removing it.
  11. The passenger side seat can now be removed. Remember to make sure the wire connections are disconnected first.
  12. Repeat the same process for the driver's side of the 3rd-row.
  13. There is one major difference for the driver's side though. Both the passenger side and the driver's side have plastic covers over the seat motor assembly. The plastic piece on the driver's side needs to be removed by taking off two Philips head screws on each end of the plastic cover. The wires you disconnected earlier should already be out of the way, but if you haven't done so yet, disconnect the wires from the control module under the driver-side seat. This will allow you to access all the remaining bolts needed to remove the driver's side bench.
  14. Now here is where I made a discovery while doing all of this. That small black module that I disconnected wires from under the driver's side bench is removable. To remove it there is a plastic tab you pull back on that allows the module to be pushed back to unhook two plastic notches on the underside of the module and then slid out. I thought to myself, what if the problem is just this stupid module? So I went back into the house and removed the module from the bench I ordered off eBay.
  15. Next, I took the two wires that were connected to the original module and plugged them into the replacement module. It instantly made a beeping sound which made me hopeful that it was now working. I tested it by pressing the button and boom it worked! I didn't even have to completely remove the driver's side bench and now I was able to keep my original seats.
  16. Since I had nearly all the mounting bolts and hardware out and had access to any moving parts, I decided to lubricate the bolts with anti-seize and marine grease on the motor screws.
  17. I finished up by reversing the process by reinstalling the passenger side seatbelt and seat.
I hope this helps anyone in the future who ends up having the same problem. You might be able to save some money if you can find the module for sale instead of having the buy an entire 3rd-row bench. I now have a spare third row and motor in case the motor itself stops working in the future or if the leather gets messed up. But I definitely would have just gotten the module if I was able to.

I don't have photos of the module yet, but I will take one later and add it to this post. It is visible though, from the rear once you remove the rear cargo lining. It would be really hard to remove without removing the leg bolts and accessing the underside of the bench either way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts